What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinclash and Keith Elwin interview about his next game

roadshow16

Site Supporter
Alias
CMP
So next Saturday is the Pinclash finals. For those of you who don't know what Pinclash is, it's a very cool tournament format created by Karl Deangelo of IEPinball, where people from all over the world can compete against each other over a live stream, competing in different challenges.

This year is on Godzilla and the qualifying was super fun where you had to collect the biggest Carnage Bonus. Because of my love for the game, I wanted to give it a go and Neil kindly allowed me to qualify at the Domino Arcade as I don't have a streaming rig. I managed to put a good qualifying attempt together and eventually managed to squeeze in to qualify in 8th place, meaning I get a bye. It's taking place next Saturday 13th May live on IEPinball 😊

https://www.pinclashtourney.com/

where you can find all the info about the tourney

https://www.twitch.tv/iepinball?sr=a

where you can watch next Saturday

And the real reason you clicked on this thread, a link to the interview between Jeff Teolis and Keith Elwin, who does discuss Pinclash, but also discusses his new game and how it's been done for ages and he's working on the game after that!

Good luck Craig!

What time is this sheduled for so we can root for you?

Good luck Craig!

What time is this sheduled for so we can root for you?

Thanks mate. It's an 8pm start on Saturday, but I don't know what time that I will be playing, probably much later because I have a bye. Karl is sending us time slots, so I will update, but its going to be a ridiculously late one. Neil is part of the organising team and I think he said he got to bed at 5am last time, so yeah it's going to be a long one!

Have you been working out the quickest way to complete each challenge?
Here's my thoughts:
Tier 1
Start any Kaiju Battle - simple enough ramp, ramp, scoop
Start Godzilla Multiball - again just ramps
Start Mechagodzilla Multiball - Right Spinner, shield targets, right spinner again.
Start Fighter Attack - Ramps again
Recruit an Ally - super secret skill if you're going to show off, ramps to start fighter, then 5 fighters, or halfway through a kaiju Battle - I'd go with Titanosaurus.
Use a Heat Ray - centre spinner over and over, but also first Godzilla award at the scoop is often light Heat Ray
Collect 1 City Combo - In Tokyo, Right Ramp, Through Building, Loop from upper, OR Centre Spinner, Loop, Tail Whip. I find the first easier.
Start Hedorah - 2 secret combos then Maser. Shield-Building, Building Shield, Right ramp - Maser, Left ramp - scoop, Pop bumper - Maser, Maser - Pop Bumper are probably the easiest
50,000,000+ Score - I'd go with Gigan

The Tier 2 and above probably take a bit of your decision making away from you.
Although don't be afraid to restart a game if first or 2nd balls are disasters, time is of the essence.

I watched Escher's qualifying and it was noted that his slingshots were very unresponsive - his response was there's no default setting for them in Pinclash - worth noting ;) No real point having the machine set up brutally hard if you don't have to, outside of the settings dictated.

Good luck and I'm sure we'll all be watching at some point, even if not right until the end.

Have you been working out the quickest way to complete each challenge?
Here's my thoughts:
Tier 1
Start any Kaiju Battle - simple enough ramp, ramp, scoop
Start Godzilla Multiball - again just ramps
Start Mechagodzilla Multiball - Right Spinner, shield targets, right spinner again.
Start Fighter Attack - Ramps again
Recruit an Ally - super secret skill if you're going to show off, ramps to start fighter, then 5 fighters, or halfway through a kaiju Battle - I'd go with Titanosaurus.
Use a Heat Ray - centre spinner over and over, but also first Godzilla award at the scoop is often light Heat Ray
Collect 1 City Combo - In Tokyo, Right Ramp, Through Building, Loop from upper, OR Centre Spinner, Loop, Tail Whip. I find the first easier.
Start Hedorah - 2 secret combos then Maser. Shield-Building, Building Shield, Right ramp - Maser, Left ramp - scoop, Pop bumper - Maser, Maser - Pop Bumper are probably the easiest
50,000,000+ Score - I'd go with Gigan

The Tier 2 and above probably take a bit of your decision making away from you.
Although don't be afraid to restart a game if first or 2nd balls are disasters, time is of the essence.

I watched Escher's qualifying and it was noted that his slingshots were very unresponsive - his response was there's no default setting for them in Pinclash - worth noting ;) No real point having the machine set up brutally hard if you don't have to, outside of the settings dictated.

Good luck and I'm sure we'll all be watching at some point, even if not right until the end.

Thanks mate, yeah I've been working through a cheat sheet of how I will approach each task. It's great that I now have a bye as I can watch how others attack each challenge, but I have put together a strategy for each, but there are definitely those challenges that I feel more comfortable on.

Karl also filmed tutorial videos of all the tier 1 challenges, so that helps 😂

Also that I'm not doing it on my own game isn't a great start, but I'll give it my best shot, really looking forward to it

Keith off to Fulda, didn't know that - will be great to watch.

Anyone know his next game (already finished) and the one he's working on?

Karl has posted a rough schedule here

The bracket is here

So looks like if everything goes to schedule my first match will be around 11.30pm 🙈

If I make it through my first round, ZMac will be waiting 👊

I felt for you with that first plunge Craig. But that drop catch just after and you were off. Great first round.
Will need to catch up with the rest tomorrow. Good luck with the rest

Cheers
Mark

Well that was awesome.

Didn't get home until 4am, but it was worth it. What Karl puts together is simply incredible, it's a full on military operation and seeing it from Neil's perspective who is helping run it behind the scenes was brilliant to see. I am super appreciative to Neil too, his setup is second to none and he made everything so easy for me. Everyone else was worrying about their stream as well as playing, where as I could just focus on playing as well as I could because Neil did everything for me. Thank you mate.

It was great to have a couple of great moments on stream. The 20m+ destruction JP I executed really nicely against Adam (who is a former top 20 in the world player) was a fantastic feeling. I was super pleased to beat him. And then obviously it was ZMac (World Champion), when they drew those 3 challenges my heart sank, they were 3 of my most difficult tasks, esspecially the city combos and super train. So to execute the way that I did on the city combos was really awesome for me, that was one of the hardest tasks in all tiers in my opinion, to do it in less than a minute, I had never got close to in practice. Super train, not so much 😂. But honestly, to play ZMac was a privilege. Its hard to admit being as competitive as I am, but in this format, on his own machine, he is almost unbeatable, even for Escher. I think I could have 50 goes at tank multiball and not start it in under a minute, that's insane!

Thank you to all the guys in the chat supporting, I read every message, it was awesome to know you guys were out in force, really appreciated it 👊

If you havent had a chance to watch it yet. Do! It's an amazing thing. When I get the chance, I'll put the time stamps of my games in.

The whole thing just solidifies GZ as the best game ever made for me and to be honest it's not even close. It's a masterpiece

Last edited:
For those interested.

Me vs Adam Becker starts at 3 hours 24 minutes in

And Me vs Zach McCarthy starts at 5 hours 57 minutes in

It was excellent to watch and well done Craig. You didn't win but still made us proud. Congrats for getting so far.

Really enjoyed watching these - well done Craig! And great to have context about how difficult these challenges are (I don't know Godzilla, or who Zach is).

Well played Craig, you did yourself and us proud and was always going to be a tough challenge against Zach.

To go into the last match equal was an achievment in itself and I can i imagine how much you relished the challenge. Well done.

Awesome play @roadshow16 that 2x bonus was genius. You played brilliantly well, and although you didn't take the win you must be happy with how you performed. Was a treat to see so many good players, and what you can achieve when you aim for shots rather than flail wildy which is my norm.

Awesome play @roadshow16 that 2x bonus was genius. You played brilliantly well, and although you didn't take the win you must be happy with how you performed. Was a treat to see so many good players, and what you can achieve when you aim for shots rather than flail wildy which is my norm.

Thank you mate. Yeah I had practiced that one quite a bit. It felt obvious to me as bringing in Rodan was the only guaranteed way of clearing 20m as it was a clever challenge as it's always just below. But maybe it wasn't that obvious, or not that easy to execute.

I was happy with how I played though thanks mate. Felt like I was playing well and in control, it really was great fun 😊

Caught up with your entry today, watched it a fair bit last night but couldn't stay up that late sorry. Given ive seen you hit the left ramp endlessly in other vids it just goes to show how hard this shot is when you really want it. Really great playing Craig.

Back
Top Bottom