What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinball licencing 101: how much, why – and Harry Potter

Great article, I was surprised at the $100 per machine figure being too high to make it worthwhile, thought it would be more.

Great article as ever, really interesting hearing that >100$ is too high a license fee, makes sense when you point out that pinball is a drop in the ocean on big licenses though (plus the attached cool-factor).

(Quick typo - missing the D on Dennis Nordman)

Thanks peeps.

When you think a new pinball machine in the US costs about $7000 then $100 is a bit over 1%, which is nothing really. I certainly thought a licence would cost more, but shows how little I know I guess.

And thanks for the typo headsup node - now fixed.

On the issue of Harry Potter. Rowling insists any HP product is British made, which means there's only 1 possibility for a pinball manufacturer.

So my guess from reading that article, the bit about "when the timing is right" simply refers to when Heighway are established with a few games under their belt. ;)

Still didn't answer the question though. How much does a license cost?

Sharpe said that $100 per machine was crazy talk, so let's say $50 is more reasonable? But they won't just get the license on a 'we will pay you $50 for each one we sell' deal, more likely (to me) is that this $50 is what you get when you divide a price by an expected number of sales, like for example $100,000 by 2000 machines.

Is there a suggestion that the licenses for Predator and for Lebowski cost more than that, and that they excluded various stuff (like John Goodman holding a gun, or Arnie's face)?

The article never went into any detail about stuff like that, the exclusions that make these cases interesting. Why did TPA take so long to get the TAF approval? What would the cost have been to just put Michael J Fox's face on the pf of BTTF anyway? Why is TBL all messed up now? How can a license be approved initially and then selectively retracted later? What would missing the Hobbit film release potentially cost JJP in terms of what he promised the license holder, nothing, or did they expect him to deliver the game to further promote the film? How long do licenses typically last for?

How much would it cost me to buy a license to make a machine based on, oh I don't know, ..... Bagpuss?

Cooldan - I agree with your comments 100% about the need for more info - like how much overall a licence costs a company, what happens if you miss a date etc. That's all stuff I hope to address in a follow up piece. This one was much more the basics - hence Licencing 101. But all critisism or suggestions about what should be in the next piece gratefully received, so thanks for your comments. I'll be sure to address all the points you mentioned above when I next contact Roger.

Cheers,

Paul

I enjoy all your articles Paul, loving the refreshing new choice. Of course I love Martin's pinball news site too, but the slant is different.

I'm officially announcing my new Cooldan Pinball Bagpuss game next month on the expo circuit or at EAG. I will be dressed as Professor Yaffle and will be accompanied by Charlie Mouse

I enjoy all your articles Paul, loving the refreshing new choice. Of course I love Martin's pinball news site too, but the slant is different.

I'm officially announcing my new Cooldan Pinball Bagpuss game next month on the expo circuit or at EAG. I will be dressed as Professor Yaffle and will be accompanied by Charlie Mouse

no madeline the doll ?

im out

I'm all in - have you got a preorder schedule?? [emoji6]

My experience of licencing is that you normally pay a flat rate as an advance eg £20,000 then a nominal % on each unit you sell which is recouped against the initial advance. ie if you sell 10 copies you are just out of the initial figure. But if you sell 50,000 then it's (50,000x X%) - £20,000

I'm amazed that the licence for a pin is less than $100 per machine. No wonder Stern only release licenced themes. For under $100 more you get guaranteed sales/exposure compared to coming up with an original theme, that's got to be a no-brainer.

I find it hard to believe that AC/DC did it for so little money. The alleged amount that the Iron Man film had to pay to use one of their tracks was jaw dropping. So too was the story about the rate for the "for those about to rock..." quote in School of Rock. Maybe they did it because pins are cool rather than for the cash.:)

People still seem to be surprised that licensing product A does not lead to being allowed to use hand drawn renditions of the actors or the music used in a film. However, they seem to be missing the point as neither of these would be owned by the film company so can't be licensed as part of the deal. Rather like American's buying London bridge;)

I would like to pre-order your game, but only if I can pay via PayPal to an account managed by an ex-employee of CoolDan USA Inc.

I cant wait for "Professor Yaffel Bookcase" mode, or one where you have to chase the mice around with a ball... ;)

On the issue of Harry Potter. Rowling insists any HP product is British made, which means there's only 1 possibility for a pinball manufacturer.

So my guess from reading that article, the bit about "when the timing is right" simply refers to when Heighway are established with a few games under their belt. ;)

Well that's ******** all the stuff built for the different versions of the universal wizarding world of Harry Potter isn't made in the UK and all the tat they sell in the potter themed shops there also isn't made in the UK

Well that's ******** all the stuff built for the different versions of the universal wizarding world of Harry Potter isn't made in the UK and all the tat they sell in the potter themed shops there also isn't made in the UK

Actually, a lot of it is. Things like ride hardware and theming obviously not as that would be ridiculously unreasonable. I can't say for sure if everything is but I know a lot of the merch is, hence the link to the Scottish company above who provide costumes they sell in the shops. You can Google most of this.

Also, the butter beer drink they sell was developed here.

@cooldan what features will the LE have and can you confirm you won't be making a Premium? :D
The main playfield toys are a tartan porcupine pincushion called Hamish, an animated Madeleine rag doll who turns to face the ball in stop motion, and of course Bagpuss himself in all his saggy old glory.

Bagpuss multiball leads to virtual locks and a Gabriel wizard mode. The main purpose of the game is to Find Emily, a feat that requires both luck and skill.

Only 750 of these will be made, first come first served, at a very reasonable £7500 each (legs not included) for the Pro model. The LE version (just 700 available) comes with legs and is £8500. You can also get legs for the Pro at £250 per set of three legs. There are no plans for a Premium, though perhaps a future SuperLE Bagpuss Loose Seams edition may surface later once we run out of cash. In Purple velour with velvet trim and a signed Yaffle bookend apron trim etc etc ffs etc.....

Left flipper comes included as standard, FREE* with every Pro model. And the LE also offers upgrades such as slingshots and rubbers

*costs just £79.99 plunger optional

Left flipper comes included as standard, FREE* with every Pro model. And the LE also offers upgrades such as slingshots and rubbers

*costs just £79.99 plunger optional
Could you use a pool cue just like the old days then?

Back
Top Bottom