What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PCBs from China anyone...

DrPinball

Registered
Received this email today, lol...

Hello friend
We manufacture pcb and assembly the components on pcb . Our factory located in Shenzhen , China.
Attached is one of the Pinball PCBA we have made for our customers
Looking forwarder to your inquiry .
Andy Yang
Best Regards

1.jpg 2.jpg

Homepin is in Shenzhen. That can't be a coincidence. Must be making the boards for Andy?

You can't trust the Chinese pcb manufacturers as far as you can throw them!

If they work out what your PCB is for, they will happily sell it to other people!

Wonder if they can do the node boards for Spike machines, however add the fuses that the bean counters removed... since I keep reading they seem to break for a pastime, could be a fruitful venture!!

@DrPinball
Ask them how much to buy some of those Heighway boards.

(I don't mean with an ill intention to actually buy them, just to prove my point)

I'm considering getting future boards without the silkscreen because of those practices

Chinese companies do not have the same outlook as companies in the West, I have dealt with them for several years and what we may consider as rather sharp practice they consider as normal business. This is not a criticism just an observation based on experience. As an example my original LED designs which have Bally loading and anti flicker built into the design are now available from multiple sources. When I was importing them I had a batch returned that I first thought of as faulty but on inspection were not numbered correctly, in fact they came from the same factory as mine but had not been QC'ed. That factory is a reputable manufacturer supplying lamps to big organisations all over the world, the fact that they clearly had time to resell a minor low quantity low profit item speaks volumes. It's the price you pay for dealing with low cost suppliers....

On a separate point I cant see how boards with surface mount components will ever be reliable in a modern pinball table. Even with the decrease in heat there is still vibration and Chinese solder is not great. Couple that to SMC soldering being intrinsically more brittle and things are going to go flaky. I have to resolder plenty of WPC lamp boards and they had nice big hand finished solder joints with lovely ductile Lead based solder.......Decent plugs though :)

Last edited:
Some interesting discussions in this thread.

First let me point out that there are literally tens of thousands of 'PCB-A' factories in Shenzhen/Dongguan/Gongming/Huizhou and surrounds - in fact, probably HUNDREDS of thousands of them!

There are two very distinct types of PCB factory. The first is the most common, 'PCB-A' and they manufacture blank printed circuit boards only. The second, 'PCB-B' who make the blank boards and also populate them. They have all the pick and place equipment and the additional staff and skills to take PCB files and turn out fully finished PCB's ready to use.

I would NEVER deal with a PCB-B factory as they will almost certainly steal your ideas and IP and sell it to anyone who wants to pay. It looks like Heighway did this so it might be possible to track the factory down but unless someone gives up a company name your chances of finding that factory are next to nil.

Homepin has used the same two PCB-A factories for many years now and they only have access to the actual PCB layout files, nothing more. We receive the blank boards and assemble/test them ourselves in house. This keeps our secrets safe.

Interestingly they have both recently moved away from Shenzhen as the local Government is actively shutting down factories that "make stuff". Assembling is perfectly OK but actually cutting things and making blank PCBs etc is pretty much out these days.

On that Heighway board I am at a complete loss to understand how anyone could even design such a mess in the first place - just amazing to me. We work on the KISS principle here at Homepin and that board just doesn't meet the KISS criteria IMO. Yes, different designers have different ideas about how things should be made but, for a start, that board would be VERY expensive to make, even in China due to it's ridiculous shape. It also looks like a nightmare to actually pack and ship to anyone as a spare part as well as a serious headache to actually fit to a machine. Just NO.....IMO, this simply wasn't thought through very well on so many levels.

Our designs are all SIMPLE and based on using the easiest electronics possible. We use through hole almost exclusively (except where the part simply is no longer made in through hole). I'm not saying our designs are the best or that they are better or worse than any other designs out there but one thing is certain - our boards are EASY to fault find and repair with common parts in most cases.

Anyway, it certainly would be possible to have these Heighway boards made, expensive but possible.

I will post a few new pics in the TAG thread of some under playfield shots that show the simplicity or our boards (in the main).

That's just one board as well, there are several all like that.

It's been established elsewhere that based on supplier orders there's at most around 170 machines in circulation. 170 machines is not a lot of customers to justify bespoke PCB work, is it? Even a layout redesign would surely be cost prohibitive?

I would imagine that Alien pin owners basically have to just hope their particular pin survives long enough for them to feel like they've had a decent amount of fun on their outlay.

Some interesting discussions in this thread.
I would NEVER deal with a PCB-B factory as they will almost certainly steal your ideas and IP and sell it to anyone who wants to pay. It looks like Heighway did this so it might be possible to track the factory down but unless someone gives up a company name your chances of finding that factory are next to nil.

Andy Yang
FASTECH PCB LIMITED
Tel:+86-0755-29084010
Fax:+86-0755-29084011

Just checked the original email, contact details at the bottom:

Hello friend

We manufacture pcb and assembly the components on pcb . Our factory located in Shenzhen , China.

Attached is one of the Pinball PCBA we have made for our customers

Looking forwarder to your inquiry .

Andy Yang

Best Regards

FASTECH PCB LIMITED

WWW.fastechpcb.com

Tel:+86-0755-29084010
Fax:+86-0755-29084011

They are not answering the phone and the number listed on their website is "no longer in service".

We have other ways of following up but can somebody tell me how certain they are that this is the place that made the Heighway boards?

I don't want my staff wasting time on a wild goose chase but I am happy for them to spend time if this is a positive lead.

EDIT: Emailing them is a waste of time and won't yield the answers needed. I know how Chinese businesses operate, please believe me on that score.

They are not answering the phone and the number listed on their website is "no longer in service".

We have other ways of following up but can somebody tell me how certain they are that this is the place that made the Heighway boards?

I don't want my staff wasting time on a wild goose chase but I am happy for them to spend time if this is a positive lead.

EDIT: Emailing them is a waste of time and won't yield the answers needed. I know how Chinese businesses operate, please believe me on that score.
I posted the original images. I received an unsolicited email from them, probably because I have a pinball electronics website. Other than that, no idea whether they really made the heighway boards.

Back
Top Bottom