What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oversea Shipping - Tips and Recommendations needed

todler

Site Supporter
Hi, considering shipping the Avatar overseas as had several enquires and no interest in the UK. Current enquiry is from Holland.

Any recommendations on shipping companies, tips on packing, costs, insurance etc. In regard to packing is 2 ratchet straps sufficient to strap to a pallet?, then a bit of cardboard and stretch wrap? Also as it’s via eBay I wouldn’t be keen PayPal, so I would assume Bank Transfer is the safest option. Sold plenty of machines but never abroad, and other than NIB never received a palletised pin for some ides of how they are shipped

Cheers

I have never sold a pin and sent abroad, albeit, have bought a couple form abroad. I think I would put the risk on the seller and ask them to arrange the transport and for them to decide on what insurance / risk they what. I would Baton around the base of the pin on the pallet to stop it moving around in addition to what you have stated which seems OK to me. Agreed Paypal risky and bank transfer better if buyer is happy with that

I would try and work out a way to attach straps to the leg bolt holes as well to stop it shifting around. Bank transfer is the only safe way to do it. I’ve had stuff arrive damaged where the pallet has been dropped and shattered, so make sure it’s insured or whatever.

Stern Box & Pallet preferable. Use the Stern packing to get it tight in the box then strap it to the pallet with good straps x 2, pallet wrap over the top of the straps and through the pallet (can lay it on the side to do this).

I've always had the buyer sort shipping, then you're not liable in any way. Bank transfer is the only option, if they;ve never done a foreign transaction, introduce them to Hi-Fx, it's easy to use with a great exchange rate

Hi, thanks for the info. Will get hold of the guy and see what happens.

Stern Box & Pallet preferable. Use the Stern packing to get it tight in the box

Unfortunately all the packing is gone, but I do have the cardboard sides

Cheers Tony

on a pallet and yes as Nick says - ask them to sort out shipping. FWIW I've used DHL freight a few times and they have been fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sold my Cactus Canyon to a guy in Germany who asked me to arrange transport. I used Shiply.com, and although it was easy I'm not sure I'd recommend it!

I strapped it on a pallet, used loads of foam pipe protectors on every corner and wrapped it in cardboard. It was very nerve-wracking as 2 dubious scruffs arrived at 9pm in a knackered transit loaded to the roof with stuff! I would have took a bet that it wouldn't go on but they spent 2 hours re-arranging their load and squeezed it in. Amazingly it arrived safely 2 days later and the only problem was some marks to the cabinet where I'd put the legs in loose and they had rubbed.

Said it once and will say it again.. DSV-

great service
CC from Denmark - 5 days
DH from Germany -7 days
TAFG from Germany - 5 days
TBL - from Holland - 5 days - £166 with 12K insurance-

A couple of them.

DSV have officeall over the world.

all I did for the ones I arranged was give them the phone number/ email of person picking up from. DSV did the rest.. and then paid when it got into UK.

Really fast pick up, Shipping & delivery and helpful drivers.

will use them again when I need to

Alternatively you can use jiffy foam instead of cardboard. Also take the balls out first. You don’t want them coming out and falling into the playfield.

Back
Top Bottom