What's new

Overhead lighting.

Sounduser

Registered
Where is the best place to put lighting over the top of a pinball machine in the ceiling?

Going to have a main light smack in the middle of my little pin shed.

But I've got 6 inset led type dim/mood lights.

seriously dude, you'll regret it immediately: there are no good overhead lights for pinball, they *all* ruin it and are better turned off. so yes, a couple of £5 desklights from Ikea or Argos, stick em in the corner facing up the wall, job done

Okay. So just put the lights where ever. And get a couple lamps for pinball.

Makes things simple.

I'm putting LED flat panels over the games but ONLY for when I am working on them. Hidden dimmable RGB LEDs for when I'm playing is the plan.

Whatever you get, make sure it's dimmable so you can find the perfect brightness for you.

I'd go with 12v RGBW led strips and a little wifi controller thing for selecting colour hue and brightness. Just make sure you don't look into the leds as they're far too bright, make sure they pointing away into a corner, at the floor or up at the ceiling like Dan says.

This is my solution, 30w led worklights aimed at the building trade. Plugged into the same sockets/ multiblocks as your games so they come on when you fire up your games. Low power consumption, low heat production ......
image.jpg
image.jpg

Works a treat, you can aim them to create a suitable pool of light. Hidden beneath your games. But you need traditional overhead lights for when you are working on them.

D

Whatever you get, make sure it's dimmable so you can find the perfect brightness for you.

I'd go with 12v RGBW led strips and a little wifi controller thing for selecting colour hue and brightness. Just make sure you don't look into the leds as they're far too bright, make sure they pointing away into a corner, at the floor or up at the ceiling like Dan says.
I'm going to suspend the white flat panel LEDs from the ceiling. The LED strips will be on the top of the panels, illuminating the apex of the roof. You won't be able to see the actual LED strips. If it doesn't work I will put some wall mounted lights behind me when I'm playing.

I turn every light in the room off when I'm playing, much better effects.
And when I'm working on them, I use my headtorch, perfect for the dark corners:)

I have fluorescent tubes down the middle for working on the pins.
Gives a nice white light.
My roof is slightly pitched and I have led rgbww dimmable placed just in front of where the player stands. Because it's pitched, it angles back so it doesn't glare on the pins.
If your ceiling is flat I'd mount them just behind where the player would stand.
The best set up I've seen for pins is track lighting with the lamps flipped upwards so they reflect of the ceiling.

I must say, I love playing in the dark and I cannot see why you'd have lights in an arena but then when I see your setup, it all becomes clear. That is one hell of a shed and the lighting is perfect for the situation.

I love it.

I must say, I love playing in the dark and I cannot see why you'd have lights in an arena but then when I see your setup, it all becomes clear. That is one hell of a shed and the lighting is perfect for the situation.

I love it.
Thanks Marcel. I do actually prefer playing in the dark but I don't play as well.
I've been transforming it from a garage into a game room annexe. New front with a house style door, insulation, new wiring, new ceiling and lighting. Should be finished in the next few weeks.

Thanks Marcel. I do actually prefer playing in the dark but I don't play as well.
I've been transforming it from a garage into a game room annexe. New front with a house style door, insulation, new wiring, new ceiling and lighting. Should be finished in the next few weeks.
It looks great, should be easier to keep warm now you've insilated the ceiling too:)

It looks great, should be easier to keep warm now you've insilated the ceiling too:)
50mm thick insulation keeps it nice and warm. Insulation on the walls and ceiling. Cool too in the warm weather as I have found out these past few days.

Back
Top Bottom