What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT FIXED! Help to identify an organ ribbon connector

Pooman2084

Registered
Hey!

My son’s school’s organ is broken. It looks like a ribbon cable has been pulled off. I can’t find the old connector.

I managed to take a few pictures.

1654021218085.jpeg
1654021315672.jpeg
Is this a ‘14 Pin Dual Row IDC Male Socket Connector’? Is it easy to put a new connector on a bare ribbon cable? That would be my choice rather than replacing the whole cable which would need me to dismantle the damn thing looking for the other end of the cable.

I’m hoping a can sort with a few pennies for the school rather than having them getting someone in to repair.

Attachments

• 1654021274869.jpeg
    1654021274869.jpeg
    124.3 KB · Views: 0
Is this a ‘14 Pin Dual Row IDC Male Socket Connector’?
Looks like it - but it;s a female not a male. I usually use a vice to crimp (although there are specific tools to crimp them on)... Just make sure you get it the right way around on the cable (Red stripe is usually pin 1)...

Example for orientation :

1654032707581.png

So (I'm sure someone will correct me here if i'm wrong!), In your picture the top right would be pin 1, so the red stripe would be on the right side..

Buy a replacement connector (eBay etc have them) new connector just clips over the end and pushes down thru the ribbon cable.

job done, can trim the excess cable off (bit sticking out when you clamp new end on) also make sure you put it on straight

I got it working again!

I broke 5 connectors trying to use brute force and my fingers, even with what I thought was a tight fit, no life from the organ. I managed to pick up an IDC tool on Amazon, ordered some more connectors and it went in first time.

Well done everyone, the total repair was under £20 v £4K for a new organ, or uninstalling it and shipping it off for service.

Thanks for your help chaps.

CAB8E53D-1D36-49D8-ABAE-90A7A6250C9E.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom