What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Noobie external man cave questions

Andy Hancock

Site Supporter
image.jpeg image.jpeg Hi all
Just bought a second home . Room for two pins inside but thinking ahead there are two outbuildings (well sheds) but with more power sockets in than I'll ever need.

Taken some pics of the better one which would fit comfortably double figures of machines and looks nice and dry and clean .
Looks just like a wood roof though with felt on top and only extra insulation is plastic sheeting inside on the walls.

I think that people don't recommend keeping pins in such an environment ?
Is that correct?
And what would I need to do to make it ok?
Whatever is fine obviously it wouldn't be heated all the time

Sorry as usual if they're stupid questions

Here's some pics

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 75
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93.7 KB · Views: 69
There's a few really good threads on this topic, as well as advice you will no doubt get here. Off the top of my head, I think @lukewells did one and the other, I think, was @Julian. Loads of useful info in them...just do a quick search and you should hopefully find them quickly enough.

I used to have a shed almost identical to that. All my tools went rusty and we ended up having a mouse infestation. I'm sure there are steps you can take to avoid those problems, but those are the reasons why I would never keep pins in a shed.

You've got a reasonable starter there.... The plastic is a waterproof membrane for the walls. Felt on timber roof isn't a problem so long as you maintain the felt or coat it with waterproofing paint if showing signs of ageing.

Based on previous games rooms I've done. My advice would be.

1) Check the roof felt and that it is watertight first.
2) Insulation needed. Wouldn't put any machines in there without it:

- Cavity bat insulation would easily fit between the framework on the walls. Rigid Celotex better but horrible to cut/breathe in and more expensive. Cavity bats have been absolutely fine for me, in different thicknesses, cheaper and dead easy to fit.

3) Plasterboard or plywood lining internally after the insulation. Fit your sockets to this either flush with clip-in socket backs or surface mount.

4) Insulate and line the roof the same.

5) Insulate the floor within a wood frame and plywood over. I've used polystyrene sheets before (as totally enclosed with no electrics near it).

I've probably got the order wrong actually, suggest the floor then roof so that the wall ply can sit on top and under, will look neater.

Few weeks work and you're done. :). Just need an oil filled rad on thermostat to keep some background heat, likely a de-humidifier too to keep condensation down. Good luck.

You've got a reasonable starter there.... The plastic is a waterproof membrane for the walls. Felt on timber roof isn't a problem so long as you maintain the felt or coat it with waterproofing paint if showing signs of ageing.

Based on previous games rooms I've done. My advice would be.

1) Check the roof felt and that it is watertight first.
2) Insulation needed. Wouldn't put any machines in there without it:

- Cavity bat insulation would easily fit between the framework on the walls. Rigid Celotex better but horrible to cut/breathe in and more expensive. Cavity bats have been absolutely fine for me, in different thicknesses, cheaper and dead easy to fit.

3) Plasterboard or plywood lining internally after the insulation. Fit your sockets to this either flush with clip-in socket backs or surface mount.

4) Insulate and line the roof the same.

5) Insulate the floor within a wood frame and plywood over. I've used polystyrene sheets before (as totally enclosed with no electrics near it).

I've probably got the order wrong actually, suggest the floor then roof so that the wall ply can sit on top and under, will look neater.

Few weeks work and you're done. :). Just need an oil filled rad on thermostat to keep some background heat, likely a de-humidifier too to keep condensation down. Good luck.
Thanks @JMP . A complete plan! Much appreciated

About to get started in this so thanks @JMP for the instructions!

Measures 6m x 4m , that's .....err a lot of pins

It has a concrete floor. What to do with that?

Cheers all

No prob and good luck. 50X50 weather treated battens on floor, insulation (I used polystyrene sheet from Wickes) and 25mm plywood over will do just fine. Means you can move your pins about more easily too.

No prob and good luck. 50X50 weather treated battens on floor, insulation (I used polystyrene sheet from Wickes) and 25mm plywood over will do just fine. Means you can move your pins about more easily too.
Thanks once again

Back
Top Bottom