What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanted newb looking for first resto machine

deathrow

Registered
10 Years
Hey all,

I am looking for a pinball machine that needs some tlc.

The only stipulation is that the boards must be in working order.

Something scruffy/damaged but working is ideal.

I'm looking to spend around £500 and can collect upto 150 miles from Norfolk.

Cheers :D

Anyone? I am not a trader trying to find stock and my user name is the same on UKVAC.com if anyone wants to see my background?

Cheers

Welcome to the forum mr deathrow. I think the problem is finding a £500 project these days, there are cheap machines out there but I am not sure what £500 will get you.
As for projects, someone recently said to me that they come in two categories,
1) lucky
2) scrap

The lucky category is rare and is actually a machine that can be done up, the scrap is missing so many parts that fixing it is going to cost you.
What sort of machine are you interested in?

I dont mind spending money on a machine as long as the boards work.

Lucky would be nice lol

I am willing to pay more but I have set the figure low in an effort to avoid wasting peoples time who offer £1k plus machines.

Thanks for the welcome

Andy Heighway has a load of project pins just listed on the Yahoo Group, have a look

I have a working Bally vector that is looking for a new home. Contact me off list if interested for more details. Collection from Leeds area.

Didn't the guy with 64 machines for sale on another post say he had some machines available in your price range?

I have seen the post but its all a bit vague at the moment.

Description and prices on machines are yet to be pinned down.
As I see it they are looking for forum members to inspect the machines and service them?

Could be a gold mine but I have to be honest I prefer to know what they want for it up front and have some information on faults etc before committing to anything

Cheers

tbh it wouldn't surprise me if no more information about those pins gets posted. They will have buyers biting their arm off - especially after 2 recent pin shows and coming up to the Christmas silly season. Like Calimori said, pins in the price range that you are looking for are either scrap or a very lucky find. That 64 pins post, at very reasonable prices, comes into the "very lucky find" category, but you'll probably need to be very active to even get one them - the competition will be fierce :)

As a noob looking for a machine just to learn some resto techniques etc I feel some on offer may be perfect but unfortunately I do not know enough about pins to buy blind or inspect myself yet.

The machine I am looking for does not have to be a well know game etc. just something to cut my teeth on.
Nothing rare or sought after would be appropriate for me to learn on.

Ive been offered 3 vectors now and I am starting to consider this as a viable option (even if not a particularly great game etc)
I don't mind learning on and possibly modding a Bally vector as they are not sought after machines and hold little value from what I have seen.

I'm sure out of the 64 machines there is possibly the perfect machine for me but without help and advice I too fear I would not end up with anything or even the wrong machine.

Thanks

tbh it wouldn't surprise me if no more information about those pins gets posted. They will have buyers biting their arm off - especially after 2 recent pin shows and coming up to the Christmas silly season. Like Calimori said, pins in the price range that you are looking for are either scrap or a very lucky find. That 64 pins post, at very reasonable prices, comes into the "very lucky find" category, but you'll probably need to be very active to even get one them - the competition will be fierce :)

Indeed.I was interested in a few but tbh I already can't be d*cked with the whole feeding frenzy. I'll sit back and watch from a distance :pop2:

I now have four yes four Bally Vectors on offer.
Sought after machine lol

I think my first dabble will have to be a Vector.

Vector's not a bad game. It's not going to set the world alight but it's not sh*t either. Should be quite a good one to practice pf resto on as they generally wear around the drop targets.

Vector's not a bad game. It's not going to set the world alight but it's not sh*t either. Should be quite a good one to practice pf resto on as they generally wear around the drop targets.

And if it doesn't turn out 100% on the first attempt then its not like burning £1000's either
I have played one and didn't mind it.

Just got to wait to hear back from the person earlier in this thread before making an informed decision on which Vector to get.

Due to a let-down (again) following three weeks of promises from an arcade site member, I currently don't have the space for a machine to stand in.

With this in mind please now only get in touch if you do not need swift collection as it could take me a couple of weeks to get this situation in hand.

I thought it best to update this thread so any perspective seller doesn't get their time wasted.

Cheers

i know a guy who is selling a mr+mrs pacman, he is looking for about £450 for it. the pin is located in east kilbride scotland. i can put you in touch with him if you give me your mobile number. it was my old machine, i think he has done some work on it.

cheers.

john bud.

As a noob looking for a machine just to learn some resto techniques etc I feel some on offer may be perfect but unfortunately I do not know enough about pins to buy blind or inspect myself yet.

The machine I am looking for does not have to be a well know game etc. just something to cut my teeth on.
Nothing rare or sought after would be appropriate for me to learn on...

I have been too busy to post recently but I wanted to comment on your post quoted above.
I took a very long road into Pinball which ended up with me going mad and splashing a lot of money on an unseen machine from someone I trusted. I had a roller-coaster of emotions as I realised the good, the bad and the ugly with the machine I bought but actually consider that now part of the adventure. I could recoup what I spent on the machine very quickly if I needed to but it was about more than that, it was about cutting my teeth as you say.

As you have experience on cabs, I don't think you will have massive issues with pins. My electrics experience comes from old computers and dodgy cars and it quickly adapted to work in trouble shooting pinballs. If you can't work it out yourself, the knowledge is out there on the forums which will really help. If that fails, we call in 'The Legend' called Andy.
I spent more money to buy from someone a machine that I hoped would have a safety net by way of support if I needed help. After the first day, I used the collective knowledge on here and not only fixed up many problems on my own machine but also on others.
When you have that space available, just jump in and buy a bargain. :biggrin1:

Thanks for the advice and tips.

Not too worried about recouping anything on the first machine. Its just for a project/hobby experience so a loss isn't too much off an issue (as long as not too much lol).

There seem to be alot of knowledgeable people on here and I have had many offers of help/advice.
Its a great site.

Back from the depths of hell is my wanted thread.

I now have the space for a project pin and have raided down the back of the sofa for the pennies.

Would still consider a Vector or something similar? 80's and early 90's machines are preferred but will consider anything.

Thanks

Will consider an already built Virtual table. Hyperpins etc
Or just the screens and computers etc etc to build into my own cabinet.

Thats really nice. Prob would build one myself before handing over 1850 notes though.

Thanks for the link :)

Back
Top Bottom