What's new

New line filter box?

Durzel

Registered
Was doing some work on my TAF earlier, trying to fit a volume control for my Flipper Fidelity speakers. I tried to attach it to one of the grounding screw things on the line filter box, and I'm not sure what happened but the thread seems to have disappeared inside the unit. I thought it had snapped off at first, but there's basically about 2mm of thread available. The nut that was on it can't bite.

Because this had the ground cable for the playfield strut and my mod power expander I had to attach them elsewhere, where a ground braid was screwed in (it wouldn't reach the other grounding thread). Everything still works and I tried touching various things (strut, etc) while the machine was on and I didn't get a shock.

Is fitting a new line filter box a big job? Or should I forget about it as it's still all working using different grounding points?

Not quite. I'm talking about the metal box that I presume that thing is mounted inside of..

09C25626-0782-47E9-A4BF-BF806E8DA765.jpeg

There's two threads on the outside that ground cables (typically the strut that supports the playfield when in service position) attach to. It's just a screw thread that those loop thingies go over, with a nut on it to keep them secured (I know all the technical lingo).

Anyway, the nut thread pictured above has gone inside the metal box slightly on mine, so I can't attach anything to it anymore.

Hope that makes sense.

You are on about the right bit aren’t you?
This is the line filter

Never had to change one but doesn’t look complicated
Think @Durzel is taking about the silver box at the front of the machine on the right hand side which has a fuse in it , you know that black screw cap with the word fuse on it 😉

You can just unscrew a screw on a corner of that box and fit it there ,as the whole box is grounded !!

You can just unscrew a screw on a corner of that box and fit it there ,as the whole box is grounded !!
That's what I ended up doing. Just wasn't sure if it was the done thing or not.

Sorry about the super dumb questions, I wasn't sure if there was anything special about those two threads.

Ah no sorry, I literally just mean a grounding point. Nothing inside of that unit is affected.

I have a bit of an OCD about this stuff, wanted reassurance that I didn't have to use that thread to ground the playfield strut etc on.

Back
Top Bottom