What's new

New EU Tariffs push pinball prices up 25%

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
Stern employees only get staff discounts on Pro's these days.

This was true 6 months ago.

They offer no packages on LE's or Premiums.

To be fair most the employees cant afford them on the production line, and you also probably would not want one if you assembled them all days.

The mains switch was moved due to the fact that now 230v does not leave the metal (earthed) backbox and does not travel down into the wooden cabinet. The biggest voltage now in the cab is 48v DC. Much safer. As no transformers are used now it is pointless just putting the switch in the cab and having to adhere to more rules and regulations. If you hate the switch on the back, buy a metal box and use 5 core cable to move the switch, drill your cab and void your warranty.

Some nudging will be allowed.

The European element is quite interesting, Stern could in theory ship a majority of raw materials into a factory in EU. Most probably don't originate in the USA (although many do), if assembled in EU, the tariff would only be applicabe on the US originated parts. Good theory, but it overlooks the simple fact that the US factory is probably heavily leveraged for the throughput it has today, sure they can scale up and down labour, but unless they own the bulding and machinery (from the walk round, I would be suprised if they didn't own that press as it was 25 years old they said LOL), the overhead on a dimished throughput would increase the manufacture cost for each unit.

Plus there is high barrier costs to production at scale that have seen so many others fail. Why would Stern invest that for c30% of their market?
I believe there are some pretty stringent import taxation on China, in the UK. It's to prevent our country being flooded with cheap and often dangerous Chinese product.

I believe it's also a way to help British Standards as they wouldn't be able to cope with testing all the 1000s of products that would end up here if they were not taxed.

^ Exactly, all anyone can do is assume it happens immediately, but maybe not, also UK might just wait for the EU/USA to sort it out - that report quotes a date of 20th Jan for that. Anyway, no one is going to stick goods on a ship before they know for sure.

**** that **** dood - we’ve been waiting months for R&M

Neil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back
Top Bottom