What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

National Championship.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2463

Folks,
I was thinking that we could do with a proper national circuit championship, this UKCS seems a bit ad-hoc, whether its official or not I really don't give a stuff, but what I'm struggling is to find 4/5 venues across the country that are good enough.

Here might be what a national event looks like:

Round 1 - North East - I don't know anywhere that has 20ish games, is there a secret place or home venue?
Round 2 - Manchester-ish - Venue? Maybe Lee's house :D - what other venues with around 20 games are there?
Round 3 - Birmingham - Tilt assuming we could book it in some way.
Round 4 - Flip out.
Round 5 - Special When Lit.

Am I mad? :)

Neil.

Yes you are mad Neil and many would agree but not with this idea. ;);)I like it!

If you time the comps with the events (which is pretty much what the official UKCS does), then things become easier.

North East = NERG
Manchester = NLP

NERG has never run comps, though if it's something that might bring a few Southerners up then I'm sure @Big Phil might consider it?

Would be better if they were seperate then there is scope for more competitions, rather than tieing them down to an event.

Maybe, but historically I think the turnout for comp only events, and especially those at the far ends of the country, is pretty low

UK comp scene still needs some legs yet

Yeah i hear you, maybe this is the push it needs. One day when the Pie and Dragon is sorted we will host something there..

UK people are very, very bad at travelling for events. This isn't even specifically something I'm levelling at the pinball community - it's everywhere. I've been in a few competitive scenes before and my American expat wife is in some collector ones and she is amazed at how little Brits will willingly travel despite the relatively small size of the country, considering the travel times that Americans would just laugh off as par for the course.

Actually in fact, scratch UK and replace English because the Scots actually seem to show up in pinball!!

I think a key problem is that there is not a single diary that we can look at to find out what is where and when.

When you try to put an event on you subsequently learn that there is x in Europe, y somewhere else etc etc

I would have thought it is better to improve the UKCS than to set up something else. Regardless of what you do, If a big european tournament gets announced subsequently, you will lose the points brigade.

If you put tournaments on at big shows you get plenty of attendees, plenty of ranking points, but you also get the same old issues regarding the exclusion of non-participants. Having a format which allows entrants to rock up on the day (like the one at nlp in 2017) deals with this though.

David,
The thing about the UKCS is that it’s a bit vague ? I’d like to have a set of dates that are well pinned down in advance as the nature of my world is Im often all over the place. And have something truly National which will be challenging.

Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A simple answer might be to lock in ukcs dates for 2019 before the end of 2018 ? Get them diarised and published.

Any subsequent ukcs events to have a minimum notice period ?

Sounds good in principle but in practice we're all human, have lives outside pinball and won't always be that organised to have dates set up to a year in advance!

In any respect in order to qualify for WPPR points and hence be eligible for UKCS you need to give a month's notice so there's an in built notice period but with best will in the world not going to have all UKCS events announced that far in advance.

Given we're trying to promote UK competitive scene would rather encourage events than discourage with any further preset notice required over and above that already required by IFPA. Appreciate folks want to plan their diaries in good time but comp organisers just don't aways know dates that far in advance and some comps are new ideas, all be encouraged:)

Calendar for all known events in UKCS is published here and you can also see any new events in the Events section. Agree difficult to factor in trying to avoid European comps and UK regional league meets along with other local leagues.

Not sure why we couldn’t have a 5 round championship with dates announced for 2019 ? Every other competitive event seems to cope?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

From what I've seen as an ignorant outsider and only occasional (so far!) partaker of competitive events, I think the root cause comes down to, well let's be frank here, a bunch of heads butting together and disagreeing over how best to run it.

@PBrookfield

this is why I think UK pinball as a whole (and not just the uk league) needs an (effective) committee that folk believe in. Collective wisdom, coordination, greater good, load sharing, seen to be fair ...

yup - think ill keep flying to the US to play! expo next!

Neil.

I love the idea Neil, and I understand that its a massive commitment from all parties to make it happen. Happy to travel to Scotland/Ireland and even possibly Wales(!) to play if it happens!

Back
Top Bottom