What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mylar - adding adhesive squares

strongs

Site Supporter
Hi all!

Just looking for some advice. I’m considering adding one or two mylar squares to a NEW replacement playfield in spots that are prone to wear as a result of a scoop eject etc.

Can’t decide whether using mylar is a good idea as I see more posts about people removing it rather than adding it.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Is the game going on site or are you expecting a lot of usage? If not, it'd seem like overkill if it's just for a HUO game that might see a few hundred games a year.

Is the game going on site or are you expecting a lot of usage? If not, it'd seem like overkill if it's just for a HUO game that might see a few hundred games a year.

HUO game.

Near the kick outs are showing VERY early stage scuffs in the clearcoat when scrutinised with a very bright direct light up close. I’m just considering future proofing.

From what I’ve read, if you do decide to put mylar down then a good wax first will make life much easier when it comes to removal. Not sure I’d dare do it myself!

From what I’ve read, if you do decide to put mylar down then a good wax first will make life much easier when it comes to removal. Not sure I’d dare do it myself!

Yep I’d read that too. I’ve also read about removal etc. Still not sure what to do though lol

Personally i’d leave it alone. If/when you can see wear without the bright light scrutiny, that’s probably a better time to consider it.. this hobby brings out the obsessive streak in us!

Mylar removal from a clearcoated PF is nowhere near as bad as removing from older games.

I put a few spots down on my CPR playfield under ball drop areas and pops etc, all the effort of a playfield swap, best to protect it IMO.

If you wax first it should come up easy in future.

Mylar removal from a clearcoated PF is nowhere near as bad as removing from older games.

I put a few spots down on my CPR playfield under ball drop areas and pops etc, all the effort of a playfield swap, best to protect it IMO.

If you wax first it should come up easy in future.
This is exactly what I’ve done in the past as well.

Personally I wouldn’t worry about fitting a full mylar kit that you can buy for most games.
As Kev a mentioned, just anywhere the ball drops like from wire forms and around the pop bumpers.

It’s the kickout / scoop areas I’m mostly concerned about as these a prone to to wear when the ball is fired out.

I need to give it some thought having a bit of an argument with myself on what to do.

I normally cut round a pound coin and put the Mylar circles at the hall drops from ramps on the in lanes. On a new playfield with fresh Mylar it’ll be all but invisible and won’t lift or peel as long as you keep it away from the switch cut out.
I’ve also cut slightly larger pieces and used them for scoop kick outs (white water and Baywatch) as they were used playfields you could see where the ball had been landing to know where to place it. Again. You have to look hard to know it was there. Comes off east with freeze spray should you wish

During Bally's pre-merger 'TNT' phase, the flyers for games like Special Force mentioned 'Factory Installed Mylar on key wear points'.

Last edited:
It's a must do. B/W did as standard for all games games. I've seen new playfield huo games with damage because no mylar was put down where B/W did. Even Stern put mylar down in high impact areas to protect the playfield.

Back
Top Bottom