What's new

My journey with Alexa and smart home pinball room

I’ve got 40Gb/sec to my house

I hope you've done the right thing and supplied all your street with free internet.

well when you are in networking:

1992 -> 128K leased line
1994 -> 2M DSL before _anyone_ had DSL in the UK.
1995 -> 10M Ethernet
1998 -> 100M Ethernet
2001 -> 1G Ethernet
2007 -> 10G Ethernet
2015 -> 100G Ethernet but I broke the TX so on backup at 40G

Hoping to have 400G next year.

Cheers,
Neil.

198x acoustic coupler modem c64 rocking 300 baud.

well when you are in networking:

1992 -> 128K leased line
1994 -> 2M DSL before _anyone_ had DSL in the UK.
1995 -> 10M Ethernet
1998 -> 100M Ethernet
2001 -> 1G Ethernet
2007 -> 10G Ethernet
2015 -> 100G Ethernet but I broke the TX so on backup at 40G

Hoping to have 400G next year.

Cheers,
Neil.

Do you have Cienna or Infinera links into your house!! :eek:

I have a nice 100G link in the office, however nothing approaching that at home (Only 300Mb Virgin :( )

Thanks @mission65 - I now have a similar setup - TP-Link's to switch sockets on and off, alexa now also controlling all the 'old' X10 Home Automation stuff around my house too - lights and sockets etc. Oh!, and also my Vaillant central Heating Thermostat.

Anyone else out there using X10 Home automation - then it's pretty cool getting it to work with alexa as you also of course get to control it with the phone app too!

Also thanks to @Neil McRae for the idea of BT whole house wi-fi - it is a big improvement over sky Q wifi, but it's not quiet perfect (the disks themselves don't seek out the strongest signal, they cling onto a weak one!!!).

I'd never considered the echo dot / alexa, but now I've had it a couple of days - I'm well impressed. Best £49 spend for a long time (apart from last weekends curry).

I've now got to figure out how to get it to play my itunes playlists..............

When you say the cling onto a weak signal - is this disc to disc or device to disc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We had to go with powerline ethernet because of the metallic insulation in the walls. Absolute bloody bastard it was.

hmm, check its running the latest software, it definitely shouldn't be doing that and won't. We often get clients that don't move (client issue).

We had to go with powerline ethernet because of the metallic insulation in the walls. Absolute bloody bastard it was.

yup many folks do, we're trying to convince new builders of houses to put ethernet ports and a wiring closet near the fuse board but they aren't really that attentive. power line sucks as a technology though but in this situation essential.

yup many folks do, we're trying to convince new builders of houses to put ethernet ports and a wiring closet near the fuse board but they aren't really that attentive. power line sucks as a technology though but in this situation essential.
Some days I'm tempted to just accept that we won't be able to fully shut the bedroom and living room doors, and trailing a piece of Cat5e along the floors.

Used to do that as kids between our bedrooms for PC gaming and it drove our parents absolutely bonkers haha

Some days I'm tempted to just accept that we won't be able to fully shut the bedroom and living room doors, and trailing a piece of Cat5e along the floors.

Used to do that as kids between our bedrooms for PC gaming and it drove our parents absolutely bonkers haha

Cat5e...... We used BNC!..... To play Doom

This is going over my head chaps!! Are you talking about a better signal in room ?
If so I use this IMG_20180113_220726070.jpg
The router is connected to a box like this which then users your house internal wiring to become like a ethernet cable ,you than have another box (above) which you connect to Xbox etc etc this give you a wired connection though !!

Hmm, so I was up with upset stomach at 4am and watched the video. My Alexa here heard it and started playing music. Had to shout Alexa “shut up” to quieten the bloody thing.

Back
Top Bottom