What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress My first rescue - The Creature That Stole (David's) Christmas

Lecari

Site Supporter
I bought myself a Creature from the Black Lagoon (aka Drive Thru) as a birthday present. @David_Vi was totally against the idea, but made me promise that I would do most of the work needed to get it playable, with his consultation and advice. It's my absolute dream game and even playing it once we got it home before doing anything to it gave me so much joy and happiness. :D

This was a find on Facebook Marketplace - the seller was a lovely guy who had owned it for 7 years. He used to have an outbuilding that he built himself that was styled like an American Diner, complete with booth seats and a small bar. He bought Creature to fit in there (along with some fruit machines and other bits). A few years ago when he and his ex-wife split, it was moved to a garage where it was sat when we viewed it. The most he'd done in 7 years was clean the glass now and then...

We picked it up on Friday 23rd (in the pouring rain):

20221223_111507.jpg

A lovely guy who works with the seller has a van so gave us a hand with getting it in the van and delivered it to us. It's a squeeze but we have just managed to fit it into the pinball room.

20221223_125440.jpg

How can David be mad after seeing how happy it's made me? :D

Anyway - David suggested I post a shop log to show the progress and keep everyone updated with how it's looking. To give context - my pinball knowledge about matches the seller's. I don't know how to take the glass off either (and unlike him, I barely can use a screwdriver). I took the backglass off a game once to take photos of the boards but that's about as far as my knowledge of pinball repair goes. So David is going to need a lot of patience on this one. ;-)

First job was to clean the legs. They were absolutely gross, covered in cobwebs and a few spiders. We luckily had some spare legs and feet from @Dave Playman so we were able to replace some of the really bad feet with feet from those.

IMG_20221223_135700.jpg

20221223_142232.jpg

Once I got the legs cleaned and David put on some new feet, we were able to get my Creature set up. It IS a squeeze (we are definitely over capacity, I have a problem), it's currently sitting along the wall opposite Theatre and Diner.

20221223_152343.jpg

Once it was set up we were able to get a proper look at the game and what's required:
  • The whole playfield was disgusting, super dirty and had gotten sticky from mylar glue trailing around the game (gross).
  • The Ss from KISS have come off
  • The soda decal is lifting, especially around the hand
  • All the rubbers have perished
  • Some of the plastic has warped from the heat of the bulbs (most noticeable on the ramp with the credits on)
  • The hologram mechanics are there but (as usual) the hologram itself has perished/faded, so I'll be looking into alternatives - I definitely want to keep the hologram look though, rather than using a screen
  • Some of the star posts have also broken and been smashed
  • Coin door lock is missing
  • The Snack Bar scoop is very worn
I ordered a few bits before Creature came home, as I knew they would be needed:
  • Operations manual
  • New slingshot plastics (the left one has cracked) - but I will be ordering a full new set eventually
  • A full set of Titan rubbers from @David retro - there is an 'ice cream cone' rubber which we've got on special order...
  • New decals from Pinball Center
  • New coin door lock
We've started off by stripping the playfield (taking lots of photos) and getting all the ramps, plastics and ball guides off (I actually did most of this). We are currently borrowing a tumbler from @Spandangler so I've been putting in all the screws, posts and such in there. Very satisfying! And of course cleaning the playfield - @AlanJ recommended using the Pink Stuff on the playfield to get the stickiness off so we've been using that.

Before pics attached! Photographic proof included of me actually cleaning things...

Attachments

• IMG_20221223_152629.jpg
    IMG_20221223_152629.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 20221223_154544.jpg
    20221223_154544.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_20221223_155042.jpg
    IMG_20221223_155042.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 20221223_215304.jpg
    20221223_215304.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 20221228_131418.jpg
    20221228_131418.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 20221223_225540.jpg
    20221223_225540.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 20221223_225535.jpg
    20221223_225535.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 20221223_222223.jpg
    20221223_222223.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 20221223_222111.jpg
    20221223_222111.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20221223_152620.jpg
    IMG_20221223_152620.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_20221223_152616.jpg
    IMG_20221223_152616.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20221223_152612.jpg
    IMG_20221223_152612.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20221223_152607.jpg
    IMG_20221223_152607.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20221223_152556.jpg
    IMG_20221223_152556.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20221223_152541.jpg
    IMG_20221223_152541.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 74
She will clean up lovely and you have broken the back of it by taking it apart and listing the jobs to do.

Goo gone is great at softening up mylar residue as well. It's not quick, but very effective. Also leaves the playfield smelling like oranges :)

Post in thread 'Special Force - Military Hospital 🚑🏥🪖🎖️' https://www.pinballinfo.com/communi...rce-military-hospital-🚑🏥🪖🎖️.53927/post-482148

Goo Gone Original Liquid - 236 ml and Sticker Lifter | Surface Safe Adhesive Remover Safely Removes Stickers Tape Chewing Gum Grease https://amzn.eu/d/cTUa8fw

She will clean up lovely and you have broken the back of it by taking it apart and listing the jobs to do.

Goo gone is great at softening up mylar residue as well. It's not quick, but very effective. Also leaves the playfield smelling like oranges :)

Post in thread 'Special Force - Military Hospital 🚑🏥🪖🎖️' https://www.pinballinfo.com/community/threads/special-force-military-hospital-🚑🏥🪖🎖️.53927/post-482148

Goo Gone Original Liquid - 236 ml and Sticker Lifter | Surface Safe Adhesive Remover Safely Removes Stickers Tape Chewing Gum Grease https://amzn.eu/d/cTUa8fw
Thanks! I'll give that a go 😁

Well done Claire for getting stuck in and giving this the TLC it needs & deserves. Your smile will be even bigger playing it once it’s finished 👍

Congrats on the game, picked one myself at the Liverpool auction before Christmas and had a ton of parts delivered by Santa too so have been busy 🎅😁 getting rid of all the grime is so satisfying isn't it!

@David_Vi as you now have totally stripped the playfield I would get the whole lot clear coated mate once you have sorted all the decal/wear issues.

Its gonna come up mint!!

Cheers

Kev

@David_Vi as you now have totally stripped the playfield I would get the whole lot clear coated mate once you have sorted all the decal/wear issues.

Its gonna come up mint!!

Cheers

Kev

It seems like a big job for us😳 a lot of gear, has to be done outside etc?

I am going to hazard a guess that only the top side is stripped. Would an auto shop still be a good idea with all the gubbings still underneath?
Asking for a friend. I am in the same state with BSD.

I am going to hazard a guess that only the top side is stripped. Would an auto shop still be a good idea with all the gubbings still underneath?
Asking for a friend. I am in the same state with BSD.
Know a great auto shop guy, scared to ask him......wouldn't want a bad clear coat to come between us.

I had my Cosmic Gunfight done by a friendly autoshop guy. I covered all the holes of course but was fine.

We're not stripping the bottom as we may as well get a new pf if we do that😄

It feels way out of my comfort zone to take a populated playfield to someone who isn't a pinball person and try get across what needs doing 😳🙈

By the time you get everything off the playfield - then get it coated - you may as well just go for a new PF as Claire said.
At least with the existing playfield next to a new one you can swap stuff over in sections.

Take it to an auto guy to do. Much better option. @MadNat used someone good if i recall.
Thanks Davey - yes I can recommend a very good clearcoater. He is near Evesham in Worcestershire, his main work is restoring musical instraments and has a lot of experience applying a wide range of clear coat to decorated wood based items. He's very very particular - and therefore produces excellent work.

He did a beautiful job on my Fish Tales.

I found him to be excellent and reasonable. DM me for details and I can connect you to him if required.

@stumblor while you're here...
We want to LED the GI but I've read ledocd gi (and assuming afterglow GI) don't like the chase lights and they stay on all the time?
How did you overcome this? What options do we have?

I'm surprised you haven't bought the new playfield already...!!! 😎

It's been considered but Diner is in need of one first. Creech's pf is nice except those 3 inserts. Probably easily fixed to a nice players standard for nowhere near the money and labour of a pf swap!

Plus this is Claire's project, I'm helping but she's the boss😄 Claire doesn't fancy swapping a playfield.

Reactions: JT.
@stumblor while you're here...
We want to LED the GI but I've read ledocd gi (and assuming afterglow GI) don't like the chase lights and they stay on all the time?
How did you overcome this? What options do we have?

Okay so unless you want to keep the GI incandescent, you definitely do want to get a board in to manage the GI as the fading is really nice on creech and an intrinsic part of the moodiness. The drawback as you pointed out is that this doesn't work with the chase board which manages the ramp lighting, as it expects AC voltage, and the GI boards both convert the GI to DC, which is where the problem arises.

First option would be to keep the AC GI power in place on the WPC power board (rather than rerouting it to power the afterglow/ocd) and then custom wiring for the ag/ocd (12v and chunky amps) and custom wiring from the power board to the chase board. Bit of a hassle.

Easier option is just to chuck that old decrepid chase board and replace it with a chase echo, which comes with the wiring to solve that problem.

I don't have any AG GIs at the moment (hopefully you have a spare?) but I do have some chase echos, PM me and I'll make a philanthropic contribution to the cause.

Okay so unless ypu want to keep the GI incandescent, you definitely do want to get a board in to manage the GI as the fading is really nice on creech and an intrinsic part of the moodiness. The drawback as ypu pointed out is that this screws with the chase board which managed the ramp lighting, as it expects AC voltage, and the GI boards both convert this to DC, which is where the problem arises.

First option would be to keep the AC GI power in place on the WPC power board (rather than rerouting it to power the afterglow/ocd) and then custom wiring for the ag/ocd (12v and chunky amps) and custom wiring from the power board to the chase board. Bit of a hassle.

Easier option is just to chuck that old decrepid chase board and replace it with a chase echo.

I don't have any AG GIs at the moment (hopefully you have a spare?) but I do have some chase echos, PM me I'll make a philanthropic contribution to the cause.

Definitely the second method 👍 the first seems too messy!

Ohh I didn't realise the chase echo did those lamps, I thought it was just for your leds in the swamp, I'm obviously confusing two different things. (I realise that was the rippler 🤣🙈, my mind has been trying to learn so many different things about creech, holograms, LEDs, lollypops etc)

We don't have a spare AGGI, but I think the one in Theatre could be stolen when the time comes as it's not utilised much. Can always replace it in future if you ever do anymore AGGI. (I think tom only fades when multiball starts
and maybe the basement and I remember thinking the flickering almot added to the effect as it's a theatre 😄)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom