What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Might resonate with you .....

The link you posted to is a minute silence that was held for victims of the London terror attack in 2017 which killed 4 people and injured 40. It was not about all about a single person.

Fact check your own (mis)information before spouting rubbish.
Alright mate, you had a good go. Time to leave it alone.

No I won't leave it alone. if you can't handle the challenge, don't provoke.
:rolleyes: 'Provoke'

Ironic Edit: Also, your posts were more persuasive and polite before your edits, by the way. The fact that you actively made them more hostile is just another reason that I will concede to you that - yep - I'm not up for the 'challenge' of talking politics with you. I'll grant you that completely.

Last edited:
I see Fawlty Towers has now been pulled. Much as I loved it in the 70s and 80s the clip with the Major trying to work out the correct racial slur for Indian cricketers is really painful to watch. It’s naked racism punctuated by a laugh track.

Given it was censored from broadcast for so long who on earth decided it would be a good idea to put up the uncensored version 5 years or so again? How many viewers were demanding broadcasters reinstated that clip? The rest of the show worked fine without that section. Some things are best left in the past.

So in that propaganda list you have posted are there any detail research peer reviewed papers? Sorry life’s to short to click thru that clickbait!

Regards,
Neil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Don’t ask for the evidence if you don’t want to hear it. Yes a lot of those are research papers.

So in that propaganda list you have posted are there any detail research peer reviewed papers? Sorry life’s to short to click thru that clickbait!

Regards,
Neil

Yes.

Calling Psychology Today click bait is as absurd as thinking the BBC is some Trotskyite conspiracy vehicle.

Sterns post on FB, some interesting comments made on the back of this.
I was just annoyed that the post had white writing on a black background. It gives me major eye strain 😬
FD16FCD3-A6C5-4366-B7D5-66C0D78208C9.jpeg

I see Fawlty Towers has now been pulled. Much as I loved it in the 70s and 80s the clip with the Major trying to work out the correct racial slur for Indian cricketers is really painful to watch. It’s naked racism punctuated by a laugh track.

Given it was censored from broadcast for so long who on earth decided it would be a good idea to put up the uncensored version 5 years or so again? How many viewers were demanding broadcasters reinstated that clip? The rest of the show worked fine without that section. Some things are best left in the past.
But I don't think that people are laughing at the racist slurs, they are laughing at the ridiculousness of the Major trying to be PC (by using the 'correct' term).

The same way that Johnny Speight when writing "Till death us do part" and "In sickness and in health" or Warren Mitchel portraying Alf Garnett weren't having the audience laugh at Alf's views, but laughing at the ridiculousness of the bigoted dinosaur.

'Curry and Chips' also by Johnny Speight (and Spike Milligan) apparently went too far.

It gets better.

This is what happens when the 'people in charge' bow the the BLM movement's main aim to Defund the Police.

You've gotta love America!

But I don't think that people are laughing at the racist slurs, they are laughing at the ridiculousness of the Major trying to be PC (by using the 'correct' term).
I'm not actually defending the pulling of the episode whatsoever (in general I prefer going no further than a disclaimer at the start saying these are uncensored relics of their time) but the popularity of comics like Jim Davidson shows that its not a completely safe bet to assume that nobody finds bare racism funny in of itself.

Edit: Bit of further thinking based off this whole spat of episodes being pulled nonsense...

I find the paranoia resulting now even further confusing to me. People are worried now about being seen as racist, but why are people so utterly fecking hopeless at finding the line?

Was there any ground swell of people screaming about this episode? No. It's been pulled because some bloody idiot who hasn't got a clue decided to defend their bottom line, which they obviously worry about far, far more than the topic at hand as demonstrated by their cack handed response to it.

And then people blame the people protesting real problems because someone else has a completely wild and inappropriate response to it. Where is the logic in that? There isn't any except from people that think everything was fine as is, and change is always bad. The problem with that mind set is that it was happy back in the middle ages, too.

And if the response of other people is purely the fault of people raising the situation that caused the response, why aren't we blaming every part of the protest on the police that escalated the situation in the first place?

Last edited:
And then people blame the people protesting real problems because someone else has a completely wild and inappropriate response to it. Where is the logic in that? There isn't any except from people that think everything was fine as is, and change is always bad. The problem with that mind set is that it was happy back in the middle ages, too.
Spot on

Yes.

Calling Psychology Today click bait is as absurd as thinking the BBC is some Trotskyite conspiracy vehicle.

missed that one and perhaps unsurprisingly the paper of the lot but doesn't talk about the police. and the papers about the police don't look like well researched papers at all, just point at a report that points to another report. and uses that to generate its viewpoint just like the guardian.

show me a leading psychology research paper on the police psychopathic tendencies. not saying that isn't the case but its hard to find such a paper.

the guardian, business insider and the bbc are propaganda sites.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh I did find this

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29722995/

but I'm not paying the 15quid for it when the abstract has:

These findings suggest that although our police recruit sample is not classically psychopathic, the dominance and coldheartedness associated with psychopathy may be common among those beginning a police career.

I'm not actually defending the pulling of the episode whatsoever (in general I prefer going no further than a disclaimer at the start saying these are uncensored relics of their time) but the popularity of comics like Jim Davidson shows that its not a completely safe bet to assume that nobody finds bare racism funny in of itself.

you are confusing taste with funny. if something is funny- it's funny.
if something is tasteless its tasteless but its still funny. Let me illustrate:

• The tragedy is that if Oscar Pistorius had no arms, this would never have happened

you are confusing taste with funny. if something is funny- it's funny.
I'm not sure I am. Comedy is much, much more subjective than you give it credit. If you've never sat through people finding the most inane, unfunny **** belly-ache hilarious then you're lucky. That's totally a side-issue to questions of taste.

show me a leading psychology research paper on the police psychopathic tendencies. not saying that isn't the case but its hard to find such a paper.
Not specifically having a go at this in particular, but It's always interesting how many different and varied lines people have for requirement of evidence before they accept a thought.

Have we all got research papers backing up our every single opinion? Don't be silly. Yet sometimes we demand it?

I'm not sure I am. Comedy is much, much more subjective than you give it credit. If you've never sat through people finding the most inane, unfunny **** belly-ache hilarious then you're lucky. That's totally a side-issue to questions of taste.

Oh no you are - that’s exactly my point.

Oh no you are - that’s exactly my point.

You think that I'm not laughing in my unspecified examples because I found them tasteless and you're saying that I'm somehow blind to that?
You are overfocusing on my mention of Jim Davidson from before.

Not specifically having a go at this in particular, but It's always interesting how many different and varied lines people have for requirement of evidence before they accept a thought.

Have we all got research papers backing up our every single opinion? Don't be silly. Yet sometimes we demand it?

It’s context. Professor Zombie made a sweeping statement about the police - I asked for evidence, knowing that I’d get mostly clickbait rubbish in response or what ever google spat out - I thought I’d help him out by asking for a peer reviewed paper that supported his assertion. Given it’s about psychology which is one of if not the most complex subject in the world.

Back
Top Bottom