What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Micro Business - Computer File Backup

DRD

Registered
I do all my book-keeping, paperwork, basic word, basic excel, basic powerpoint ... on 2x laptops. There is less than 1 gig of data

What is a real world way to backup files from the laptop hard drive please ? I do not like cloud storage or subscriptions.

Something that can be relied upon, stored in physical form and put in a fire resistant cupboard.

Is a weekly DVD burn the most practical thing to do ?

Thanks in advance

My take as a cyber security guy. Cloud storage is cheap and secure if you go with a big player and don’t share the data with people.

Off line storage such as usb storage drives could be used. They won’t have any security on them so the safe is a good idea. Buy a few, say six and rotate through them to ensure if one dies, you know about it rather than a lot later.

DVD’s are more expensive in the long run and age badly in some environments. Plus, newer kit needs to read them.

I went the cloud route because I could see it had the right level of security (confidentiality), they had data integrity and availability (my whole house and contents could be lost and I could still get back to my data)

Last edited:
I'd probably do both if you wanted to be super safe. Stick it in the cloud and also on a few usb sticks or other physical storage (SD card, SSD etc) :thumbs:

Reactions: DRD
If you have spare space on both laptops cross populate the data to a folder on each laptop (name folders backu)
then a few usb sticks and back up each laptops data onto it using separate folders called Dell latitude or Thinkpad etc ,something meaningful to identify it from the other back up not just laptop1 & laptop2

rotate the usb sticks each time you backup so you always have a slightly older back to fall back on if the usb goes faulty/gets a virus etc.

ideally you would want a stick that you only use every now and again to backup to and then regular ones. Ie if you back up each day then have say 3 or more usb thumb drives. backup on usb1 on Monday (label it Monday) then put this in your safe until next Monday. Use usb2 on Tuesday and put in safe, use usb3 on Wednesday, put in safe. Use usb2 on Thursday and so on. Only use usb1 when you get back around to Monday.
depending on your paranoia/ value you put on your data you could have a monthly usb as well, say usb4 which you use on the first of each month........

always better to be able to fallback on month old data than loose it completely because of corruption/virus/malware/ransomware etc etc

better again have separate usb for each pc and don’t use in each other just comes down to how much you want to protect your data and cost really but you can buy a handful of 16gb thumb drives for peanuts these days

I do all my book-keeping, paperwork, basic word, basic excel, basic powerpoint ... on 2x laptops. There is less than 1 gig of data

What is a real world way to backup files from the laptop hard drive please ? I do not like cloud storage or subscriptions.

Something that can be relied upon, stored in physical form and put in a fire resistant cupboard.

Is a weekly DVD burn the most practical thing to do ?

Thanks in advance
I use mobile external ssd drives 2tb -4tb in size etc for backup , usb plug in then you can store in a secure place of your choice

I’m a Mac guy so time machine backup to these external devices

Last edited:
Non Raid external drives are an accident waiting to happen. If you are using Windows then I would recommend work and backup PCs and sync data via OneDrive. Both machines will then have the data and there will also be a copy in the cloud. You get 5GB free of charge.

David

A few year back my iMac was recalled for a HD problem and even though I wasn’t experiencing any problems I thought what the hell I’ll get it replaced before the warranty ran out.
I backed everything up to my super reliable Time Machine as reccomended by Apple.
When I got it back it would not restore no matter how I tried.
Apple told me to drop both in and they couldn’t do it either. My old drive had been destroyed even though they chased it up in the hope of getting it back.
That day I lost my whole photo library over the previous 3yr with the only photos of my mum and Gabriel as a baby and numerous other priceless pics.
Since that day I’ve gone iCloud for everything.
Best service ever.

Why aren't you accounting in the cloud? I would strongly reccomend moving to a provider like FreeAgent which would potentially cost you nothing, if you opened an account with Mettle. Would make your accounting process 100X easier. Plus ensures that your files are safe. For non accounting based items, and externa HDD is fine, but again - cloud based just really is the only solution from a cost and data integrity point.

https://akcela.co.uk/small-business-accounting-software/

Why aren't you accounting in the cloud? I would strongly reccomend moving to a provider like FreeAgent which would potentially cost you nothing, if you opened an account with Mettle. Would make your accounting process 100X easier. Plus ensures that your files are safe. For non accounting based items, and externa HDD is fine, but again - cloud based just really is the only solution from a cost and data integrity point.

https://akcela.co.uk/small-business-accounting-software/
Use FreeAgent myself and very happy with it. Great service and very good monthly price

to add into the mix also I use Dropbox as a ‘paranoia double backup’ area to ! Good service there aswell

my rule is too many backups is not enough!

I have one of those Synology NAS solutions, they have a big selection of specs depending on requirements starting from £300 approx.

I use it for both Mac and Windows never had any issues.

They do some nice apps (inc mobile apps) that allow access to music, audiobooks, photos etc you can configure it for remote access too.

I have one of those Synology NAS solutions, they have a big selection of specs depending on requirements starting from £300 approx.

I use it for both Mac and Windows never had any issues.

They do some nice apps (inc mobile apps) that allow access to music, audiobooks, photos etc you can configure it for remote access too.
If it is located where you have your PC then it is only good as a local backup. That said I have 3 and make them available for external access so I can check cameras, photos, music, backup laptops to them as well as having data in the cloud. Have multiple distributed storage. I used to back up some data to off site USB drives and cried when the important one failed.

David

I see most are ignoring DRDs request and just saying what they use. Doesn’t matter that cloud is better etc he has stipulated he doesn’t want to use cloud based or pay subscription ( I’m sure he has his reasons)

personally I use apple cloud and back up on a a NAS and usb drives if important. But DRD has stated what he doesnt like cloud based and wants physical media he can put In a safe. Usb fits this request.

im all for trying to convince him his fears are unfounded etc but I’m sure he’s had loads trying to change his mindset.

I use a mirrored NAS. Every 6 months or so I back this up to an external drive. I have cloud for photos but would rather look after my own essentially data. Done this for years and works well. You could keep the external drive in a fire safe?

For stuff you don't want to lose, you want at least 3 copies, at least one of which is in a different physical location (ideally all in different locations!)

RAID and the likes don't count as separate copies. Yes they're more reliable, but you can still lose the whole thing for various reasons.

I can't really comment on this as all my paperwork are stored in cardboard boxes and go in the loft ,lol . Now ... picture's that's deferent they are stored on DVD'S and external hard drives . I don't really like the cloud personal as I feel one day it will become to big and it will rain and the cloud is no more 😉

Thank you for all the suggestions

My needs are so basic. I can go weeks without adding to my business' files. My accounting is simple, done on Exel. I do not share files. I am the only user and unless I die - noone will need to access the files. I do not like clouds, subscriptions, anything that ties me to big-tech.

get your stuff on dropbox or onedrive and also get something different to do a proper cloud backup.

nearly all loss of data is more down to user error people deleting the file by accident rather than laptop or disk failure.

I wouldn't just use a USB disk or stick. chances of being locked out of that data if some crazy Russian hacker puts an encryption trojan on.

idrive or Livedrive something with retention and restoration of deleted files.

Cheers,
Neil.

NAS RAID secured with strong file + account protection - WD Red disks. Set the associated software to auto backup your changed critical files to the NAS.
Been using NAS successfully for 21 years but I use it for terabytes of crucial data.
Just hope I don’t set fire to the house.
Be careful...with the rating of your fire proof safe / cupboard 😬
There are many types, depending on the burn time, external combustion/ heat etc.... will depend on whether your media will survive or not.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom