What's new

Mesh Wifi

daveyp

Site Supporter
Upgrading my home internet from a 72mb connection to 1100mb Virgin Media.

After some advice of a suitable system that doesn't cost a fortune and know there's plenty of you on here with good technical knowledge.

I have a 4 bed detached house but can't easily run network cables between different positions and ideally something to get into the games room which is 10 m away from the house.

Dave.

I use DECO network, garage decos are about 7m from living room one and our shed cam talks to those which is over 10m away.

I have used tp link av600 for 10+ years and they have always been very reliable and cheap but only go to 300mbps. But tp link also have av1000 which do 1000mbps. It's a wired system that utilises the house earthing wires so no need for new cables.

I also use the TP-Link Deco (P9) system - much better coverage through walls and over distance than my previous non-mesh BT system. Works through multiple walls at a distance of 10m in my house.

It's a hybrid system (which is marketed as enabling higher performance), so has a feature where downloaded data from the main box out to satellites is over mesh wifi, but any uploaded data from satellites back to the main box is sent over power lines (as long as both main box and satellites are on the same ring main - if not, returned data goes over mesh wifi too).

Appreciate the replies there are that many to choose from and the idea of using the house’s existing power cables is what I’m looking for. Will now look and try and find something.

Dave.

I have a stone built house and some internal walls are 18 inches thick so WiFi doesn't go through them so had to use tp link wired system. But you can get Wbuilt in WiFi extenders for the tp link so you can have wired and WiFi in the garden building if you want.

Starter kit

Am I correct in thinking that as long as they are powered from the same consumer unit then they will talk to each other ie loft supply, games room supply and upstairs and downstairs ring main.

Eg.

So mesh wifi needs to on same ring of sockets to work?
No. Powerline plugs use your actual mains circuit to send data thtough. Mesh Wifi uses WiFi i.e airborne data transfer and just uses your plugs as a power source like any other appliance.

Am I correct in thinking that as long as they are powered from the same consumer unit then they will talk to each other ie loft supply, games room supply and upstairs and downstairs ring main.
Powerline works through the earth connection so will work on any ring.

Good luck with Virgin. They were the only option available here for broadband for about 20 years. Absolute shower of ****.

Used to drop constantly. Prices hiked every year and no way to ever get through to customer service

Constantly oversold the system so you’d get 10% of the advertised speed on a good day. Their recommendation was to avoid using the internet in the evenings and weekends.

The highlight was when they randomly sent someone to cut through our connection and then announced they didn’t have anyone in the area to reconnect it for 2 weeks.

BT finally put in a cable last year and although not perfect they are so much better.

Hope you have a far better experience.

Back
Top Bottom