What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Medic ! Twilight Zone has gone nuts - Check F115 and F114 issue ? *RESOLVED*

Sgt GrizZ

Registered
Ex PinballInfo Admin . MIA Brighton Hove beach
Alias
Ive
Switched on TZ - got the dreaded Check Fuses F115 and F114 message. Removed and checked both , they are good.

Switched back on. Machine is now going crazy, all hell broke loose - during the Test start up sequence a few solenoids are firing. Then the Fuse message then it loses it's mind .... its just a stream of random slides, random sound bites and sound effects, listing loads of switch errors , random stuff firing off...

Turned it off.

Too hot for this sh*t. Any advice ....Hoping its a simple one ;)

Reactions: JT.
Last edited:
This reminds me of the issue I had with Black Rose.
The fuse messages are a red herring as far as I remember.
I forget how I was solved but it involved @MajesticPinball taking the board.

This reminds me of the issue I had with Black Rose.
The fuse messages are a red herring as far as I remember.
I forget how I was solved but it involved @MajesticPinball taking the board.

Yep. It was the machine going mental bit that was worrying me -not had that before :D Had this F114 / F115 error message before on something - years ago.

It might be the voltage regulator (q2?) I know TZ is a different board set but on Rosie (WPC89) i think Q2 and/or C2 were screwed because of c2 leaking.
I think that's what James fixed.

Yep just replace Q2 and C2, sometimes C3 can get in the mix too. Often the traces are destroyed so that might need seeing to, had this exact issue on a callout today

Attachments

• PXL_20230614_114808063.jpg
    PXL_20230614_114808063.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 25
Check the asic hasn't moved a little in this heat, push it home just in case. Also no sign of leakage is there in the battery dept? I've had green on the connectors before on the mpu and you can't see any on the board.

Check the asic hasn't moved a little in this heat, push it home just in case. Also no sign of leakage is there in the battery dept? I've had green on the connectors before on the mpu and you can't see any on the board.
All clean and good .
Pushed ASIC and ROMS home.

The Check Fuse error I can work on - just wondering why the freak out is sometimes happening along with the error messsge. Not seeing that mentioned online .

My brain is too hot today to delve too far into it tbh 😁

Last edited:
Resolved !

After following Pinwiki test procedures and not really seeing anything untoward I was starting to scratch head.

After chatting to @Matt Adams went back to basics - reseated the small ribbon cable between driver board and cpu , and the molex connectors and Z connector in that area. J211, J210 , J114, J115

Boom back in business :D I should listen to my own advice as I'm always saying reseat connectors first !

Which solenoid fires on startup ? That might guide your path. I'd check all voltages. Go into the test modes for switches, lights, solenoids ... see if you can isolate a problem.

Then I'd reseat everything touching the mpu board and check its power supply/ reseating the relevant connectors from the transformer onwards.

If that fails board swap with a similar era game.

If that fails necklace it, Soweto style. Or the East Midlands way (regular car tyre, can of 4 star)

Grizz, have you replaced C2 yet...? 🤔
Not yet. I know that is often cause of this , though read of quite a few instances of it just being a connecter so hoping it was that - reseating some did clear it . I’m a big fan of not pulling boards and components if don’t have to 😃
May have been a coincidence though so will look again - C2 area looks clean but might need to pull it to thoroughly look, and then replace.

Well reseating again has solved nothing . I have ribbons from working game here so will try those.
Then I guess work my way through the suggested fixes on pinwiki. Too hot and summery for this 🙄 Could be a while before I get enthused enough 😂 My Q Bert has thrown a tantrum too - one of those weeks where machines hate you.

Happy to report this is now FIXED 💥

Turned out it was BR1 failing . It must have been intermittent as reseating connectors seemed to clear the issue initially then it came back . So just coincidence. And right at the start when the issue first arose I had tested BR1 and BR2 and they were fine. Testing this week though and it was def failed.

Anyway. New BR1 in and now back in the zone 💥

Back
Top Bottom