What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Progress Me got you

It works - but its randomly blowing the solenoid fuse :(
Displays are also in need of sorting - Several flickering and such.

I just happen to have a set of stencils to redo the cabinet - its not in terrible shape but it be rude not to I think.
Take it from there. Not had a good look at the playfield but think its pretty decent.

I recently bought the some nmp sensors from a member on here to replace the troublesome horseshoe drop targets on mine,it now plays amazing,so I would recommend these if doing a restore,you do have to add a metal plate to the gar target board,to shield it from the pop bumper,but it's all on pinside

Will look into that. Just had a closer look at the playfield - think it might have been touched up at some point. Not sure I want to do a pf swap on it - I have one to do on centaur already 🤔
Will see how it cleans up.
Think I might look into the solenoid issue first.. And decide whether to fix the displays or put led ones in. Some red ones would probably go nice.

Put his head on today and fired it up. (I was working before I took it off and collected it so just wanted to be sure it still was :) )
Took a closer look at the PF (still not taken the glass out - not mint, but not terrible).

All Playfield.pngplayfield section 1.pngplayfield section 2.png
Deffo some touchups gone on
Touched1.png
I think I can what might be amiss with the flickering displays though:
main display board.png
Reckon thats what ill investigate next then

Replaced the dead resistors this evening. Didnt help.
Decided I give it a bit of a play anyway and see if the solenoid fuse popped (This was the other thing wrong with it I knew about)
After a few minutes some of the segments started coming back to life.. Very suspicious...
Few games later and no sign of the fuse going. Took another look at the master display - and lo and behold 2 of the resistors look to have cooked again.

This displeases me greatly. On reading Ye Olde Repairing Williams System 3 to System 7 guide suspect the issue might well be the UDN7180A chips. Which are apparently somewhat troublesome to obtain. (I poked around the internets and confim its not just a rumour - they seem kinda hard to find :( )

Still I was kinda pondering red LED displays anyway....

Unreleated random spinner pic.
1683751937201.png

those high voltage ics are pricy now. you can get pulls from china but still silly money
Yeah. Im going to follow the guide to confirm - but I might just get some new displays if its those. (If I can get em :eek: )

How do you get on with that yellow scissor lift? is it substantial enough for most pins?
Its the first time ive used it. But this is what it was bought for. Seems to be working ok.
Only slight niggle is its a pain to "steer" - but then so are shopping trolleys

Mine got rash next to the right slingshot like that too. Probably the one hit more often in gameplay. The mechanical design kinda mashes the ball into the playfield. Happy hunting electrical gremlins!

Could fit a hard top to it I guess. Im sure that brings with it different complications than a playfield swap though. Not sure I want to get that carried away with it.

Back
Top Bottom