What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Marshall Amps

myPinballs

Site Supporter
Alias
Jim
Fixed a few of these recently. Something alittle bit different , but the same era of solid state tech that is my bag. These are the DFX range from early 2000s to around 2010 I think

I have been experimenting with them as music speakers too. Another different music device to mess about with basically. Just like my seeburg jukebox

What I’ve found is that alot of guitar music sound pretty damn nice and raw through the guitar input clean channel and the built in effects . You can get a nice ‘live’ sound for many songs. Ha ha.

And, they just look damn cool to!!

They do need some tlc to fix though as life has as not been easy on them! Once sorted they sound great . They also have a valve emulation sound button which I leave on all the time :)

6460F17F-EAED-42B3-8DEC-B7B2B97499BC.jpeg24779EA9-3BF1-40EB-B672-DB2CBFFC0993.jpeg

I have an MG50fx. Great sounding amps. They are a LOT more expensive now than when I bought mine though.

Have probably thrown 20 of these away - people dont want to spend out on solid state amps when you quote £50-150 to repair!

The thing that surprises me the most is how good of a live type sound you can get out of these. With some time spent adjusting the basic effects, albums like bush sixteen stone and nirvana nevermind, sound like you are in the venue hearing it live, ha haha

Best few quid i've spent for awhile on my music player addiction as i call it now (b& o system, seeburg jukebox etc)

The thing that surprises me the most is how good of a live type sound you can get out of these. With some time spent adjusting the basic effects, albums like bush sixteen stone and nirvana nevermind, sound like you are in the venue hearing it live, ha haha

Best few quid i've spent for awhile on my music player addiction as i call it now (b& o system, seeburg jukebox etc)
They actually do not really cut it for live work. Even mic'ed up thru a PA.

Made for more home / people in their first band amp / teenagers etc.

The MG DFX range really fills that type of customers well.

I worked on the effect section of those amps for a couple of years. I wanted to improve the power amp section to allow for semi-pro use but Marshall were not intersted in going down that line.

I wanted to improve the power amp section to allow for semi-pro use but Marshall were not intersted in going down that line.

I had the same thoughts. The design is kind of weird as the power amp section is not at the same quality as the rest of it. They even put a nice transformer in it , then went with some arcade game style (car stereo) single chip amp (at 70v!!) lol

Still sound pretty nice to me though in my lounge! i am not trying to play wembley though! haha

Something else to, the later models do had some improvement on the amp mounting and heatsink side. ie a model from 2008 is much better than one from 2003. No computer cpu fan heatsink any longer thank god!

Something else to, the later models do had some improvement on the amp mounting and heatsink side. ie a model from 2008 is much better than one from 2003. No computer cpu fan heatsink any longer thank god!
Yes - on the old ones I have known chips to blow if the £3 PC fan fails. Like they always seemed to. I suggested a mosfet output section but no - was shot down.

superrev.jpg

I built this amp over a decade ago. A super reverb, sometimes can not beat the 'old ways'. The mad thing is it came back today for a service (one dodgy jack and one tube gone) as it is up for sale. The scary thing is - it was sold to the shop as a Fender custom shop amp, and they are now asking £3,595 for it. I think it was built for about £1250.

Yes - on the old ones I have known chips to blow if the £3 PC fan fails. Like they always seemed to. I suggested a mosfet output section but no - was shot down.

View attachment 199773

I built this amp over a decade ago. A super reverb, sometimes can not beat the 'old ways'. The mad thing is it came back today for a service (one dodgy jack and one tube gone) as it is up for sale. The scary thing is - it was sold to the shop as a Fender custom shop amp, and they are now asking £3,595 for it. I think it was built for about £1250.
Ahhh good old Tag blocks and components that can be easilly diagnosed and changed :)

Back
Top Bottom