What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LW3 Sticking Flipper

Judderman

Site Supporter
Hi

My LW3 has developed an intermittent flipper fault where one of them stays up when I release the button. It doesn't happen every time & tapping the button again brings it down. I've played with the glass off, and when it happens, it feels like something is pushing back when I try to push it down, so I reckon it's an electrical problem rather than mechanical. I have found this https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/data-east-left-flipper-sticking which suggests it could be a dodgy diode. Is there any way to test the diode in situ? I'd expect not as there is the alternative connection across the ends through the coil.

Is there anything else I should be testing to work out what's wrong?

Firstly confirm if it is mechanical or electrical for sure. Does the bat drop when you turn the pin off?

As @Durzel said above as soon as the flipper sticks up switch the pin off . If the flipper stays up ,this means it mechanical , if the flipper drops back down then it's electronically , let's hope it's mechanical :thumbs:

Typical - had to play about 4 games before it happened again - yup, sadly Carl, it's electrical :(

Sooo - what's my next step? Test/change the diode?

Take a picture of the coil with the diode on before replacing it , as you don't want to put it in the wrong way round !!

Change diode - its a pennies part. If you need one I can pop one in post FOC tomorrow :thumbs:

Cheers Sarge - I'll drop you a PM - there's no rush, I'm unlikely to get round to fitting it until next weekend. Are they pretty standard across many machines, or do you just happen to have a wide range of spares kicking around?

Take a picture of the coil with the diode on before replacing it , as you don't want to put it in the wrong way round !!

Already have one - I had a question about EOS so I took a vid so someone could point it out to me. This was before I found out there wasn't one. ;)

Cheers Sarge - I'll drop you a PM - there's no rush, I'm unlikely to get round to fitting it until next weekend. Are they pretty standard across many machines, or do you just happen to have a wide range of spares kicking around?

Arrived today - many thanks - may have to search add a comment to the Today I Received thread. Saturday is soldering day :D

Ye gods, the writing on them's small!

Stew

Back
Top Bottom