What's new

Lucky in the US? maybe not so.

• Thread starter Deleted member 2463
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2463

So a couple of years on since I first went to the US to play pinball and thought, wow, look at all the on location games.

hmm. Not so sure about that now.

Been to a few arcades that I've been to before, Bufallo Billiards, Pinballz, Bishop Cidercade only to find nearly all the games, notably the newer sterns all had problems with them.

Iron Maiden in three locations, none of them the plunge worked, the LE at Bishop Cidercade - capitive balls didn't register at all, game unplayable!
AFMR, the ball guide hadn't been replaced, MBR, ball keeps getting stuck because of a loose screw, Star Trek Premium, switches not recognised all over the place.
Deadpool, weird light failures all over the place, WoZ same thing and ball lock somewhat flakey. I have to say a game like dead pool that hasn't been out longer than a year, three of them had strange light issues, and the playfield dimpling was super ugly, I seriously doubt that modern sterns will last the time that BW games have done. I used to think the electronics where bordering but now I think the play fields are the weak link in Stern's armour. None of the play fields had any damage but if I come back to TPF next year it would be interesting to see if that was still the case.

Pinballz was the worst though, they have about 80 pinballs. I think only about 10 of them worked without some sort of issue. They had a meteor there that was in the comptiion and the guide ball wire came out and they superglued it back in (!!!!!). Lovely looking Cirqus that some of the switches didn't work right. Some really nice games of varying ages that looked like they hadn't been cleaned in years. Of course you goto logan in Chicago and its a different story, 99% of the games are in perfect knick and play well. AYCE GOGI in LA also perfect, when I was there I met the tech who goes once a week to deal with any minor issues and once a month cleans the games - he was cleaning whilst I was there.

Thinking before i had the shed how lucky it was in the US to have these locations, but having my own games that I can keep working well myself (well with @gopinball's great help) suddenly found that I think even if we had a lot of on location places to play that I would still keep the shed.

Neil.

I found the same in NY. Modern Pinball the machines were poorly maintained, whereas at Sunshine they all played superbly - AND they have a bar.

It's not just the US though, if bars and arcades don't regularly maintain, clean and fault find their machines they quickly become unplayable, or at the very least not as enjoyable experience as it should be - thus discouraging repeat plays, and so the downward spiral continues.

There's any number of venues in the UK where it's the same story - not enough care being given to the machines on site.

Hope you mentioned the issues to the management at these sites in case they don't realise the machines are in such a bad state! Such a shame. Hope you are enjoying yourself otherwise!

Yes Sunshine is the other excellent place. Love going there, can't wait until May as I'll be there again!

Hope you mentioned the issues to the management at these sites in case they don't realise the machines are in such a bad state! Such a shame. Hope you are enjoying yourself otherwise!

Vin, yeah, Bishop cidercade had a text number to text. I sent over 30 texts to it (some on the video games too, which I have to say they have a freaking epic line up of video games). Pinballz had a bunch of iPads to record issues on and I did about 20 reports, and then left a note on the games at BB that had issues.

Something like IMDN is going to be a shame because stern didn't do a good enough job on manufacturing such that most on location games aren't going to play well unless you put the effort in.

The thing with iron maiden is (the pro) there’s **** all that can go wrong with it. There are zero toys. So it’s a case of switch gaps closing. (Had it on mine with Pharoah target) real simple little things to fix but render the game useless.

I was thinking about this yesterday. Just installed my Spidey and the main thing that struck me shifting the ****er around and upstairs is how much more solid it felt than my IMDN. Way heavier and I dunno, sturdier. Guess it's a combination of cost cutting and modernising of tech etc but yeah. Even a relatively recent game like Spidey feels superior to me quality wise than the newer games. I remember my GB weighed next to nothing

The thing with iron maiden is (the pro) there’s **** all that can go wrong with it. There are zero toys. So it’s a case of switch gaps closing. (Had it on mine with Pharoah target) real simple little things to fix but render the game useless.

Just the plunge on it that is problematic on pro and then captive balls and lock on le

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yep imdn pro had nothing to go wrong .. apart from the newton ball that broke after 2 days

It's partly the reason pinball died out in the first place. Real shame. IMDNr sooner than we think then.

Thanks for this info @Neil McRae
I’m off to NYC in October and had planned to visit NYC Modern and The Silverball Museum in Aysbury Park, but looking at Sunshine Laundromat, I think I will skip The Silverball museum.

It looks great on this walkthrough
Sunshine Laundromat

Well both big Ian and myself have had great experanice since we came over we went to the balls of steel place in garland and the games in top shape even a comp running tonight we were welcomed by a lovely lady who said because were with the party group all you can play for 5 bucks and a free drink machines as like new .
So it's not what you know it's where to go 10 out of 10 from me

Attachments

• 15532100606517428934247416939889.jpg
    15532100606517428934247416939889.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 15532100986938085117429547247120.jpg
    15532100986938085117429547247120.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 36
  • 15532101229834516939321752294788.jpg
    15532101229834516939321752294788.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 15532101413588871992754404646643.jpg
    15532101413588871992754404646643.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 37
  • 1553210168186916577637551229171.jpg
    1553210168186916577637551229171.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 34
Well both big Ian and myself have had great experanice since we came over we went to the balls of steel place in garland and the games in top shape even a comp running tonight we were welcomed by a lovely lady who said because were with the party group all you can play for 5 bucks and a free drink machines as like new .
So it's not what you know it's where to go 10 out of 10 from me

So you went to one place and it happened to be good. That’s conclusive lol!

So you went to one place and it happened to be good. That’s conclusive lol!

Yup 1 for 1 and invited to another tomorrow that's another pre party that's supposed to be even better .but it's only invite only I was told Neil otherwise I'd get you in

I reckon we're spoilt with our shows, clubs and private ownerships. If it's not a brand new game pinball goes bad in public real fast, and we're starting to forget just how fast.

Certainly the sorts of mechanical and electronic frailties I've seen over my (I admit right now, really short compared to most of you) pinball career, the kinds of things that are just left hanging out until they fail, indicate that very, very few of the older machines are given the preventative maintenance (or flat-out rebuilding) that is required to make them bomb-proof for months without regular upkeep in public. Maybe I'm just too much of an engineer...

Yup 1 for 1 and invited to another tomorrow that's another pre party that's supposed to be even better .but it's only invite only I was told Neil otherwise I'd get you in

LOL. There was about 5 pre event parties and the exhibitors only gig, I went to a couple of them and the exhibitors gig which was pretty good.

Neil

Well I hope they rolled out the red carpet for you

They only did that for the chicken ****s who think they are funny for making snide comments rather than saying what they really think party. I wasn’t invited to that.

Hope you're having/had a great time Neil.

Just watched the Pinball News TPF walkthrough and surprise surprise, the first voice you hear and the first person you see is you. Made me chuckle.

Back
Top Bottom