What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lowering Door Threshold - Any Suggestions Please ?

DRD

Registered
Elderly friends of mine have just downsized to a bungalow.

It has this treacherous back door which looks like a ticking time bomb to me 20210529_101508.jpg20210529_101515.jpg

It will be hard to simply build a ramp as it is so close to the boundary. Also, you have to take lawnmowers etc past this back door when moving them from the garage to the garden.

Does anyone know a good way of making this safer please ?

Can you just remove a course of bricks, lower the lead damp course and insert a bigger door with thinner threshold ?

Thank you

My suggestion would be the same as Ian’s.
Raised flat platform in front of the door and then a slight ramp up from both sides.
Cut checker plate is available from places like this

And someone to weld some box steal into a frame to support the platform.

It will be more expensive than buying a wheelchair ramp but will be much better for the job.

I had meant for it to be in concrete but either is good I guess.

a few blocks With a ramp down either side kinda thing, concrete over the top of the blocks and take away the door sill and put rubber in to lessen the gaps/steps either side of door.

this kinda thing

Attachments

• DB6CE7FB-5D3A-46F1-8632-F7BB5E2CBEE9.jpeg
    DB6CE7FB-5D3A-46F1-8632-F7BB5E2CBEE9.jpeg
    31.1 KB · Views: 11
Yeah, that will be easier and last a life time.
I look at how I will reverse it when I leave but they want zero maintenance

I'd agree also with the platform and ramps in both directions outside.

Just this week I met up with the occupational therapist and their contractor to sort out arrangements for my mother in law's bungalow, and this is pretty much what we agreed to enable wheelchair access.

Thanks all for the good advice. Much appreciated.

One of the couple has just been diagnosed with vascular dementia - so the suggested improvements will really help.

Personal I would be removing the pvc back door completely and having a door with a proper sill on it which are not very thick nowadays and opening inward . Also having a same height platform as inside the house with two ramps as @C&C said above . Will also need a handrail along on the fence side for this section ,also a grab handle / handles on one or both sides of the door . Unfortunately you may also need to resite that rad by the door to !

PS : I seem to like the word "also " today 🤔

Back
Top Bottom