What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

London Ultra Low Emission Zone Charge

Looks like I am a solo voice here. I am largely neutral about the schemes but certainly don’t think they financially benefiting individuals introducing them.
Last years figures for London ULEV showed that even after expanding the zone, 92% of people were meeting the standard in the first month.
A costly IT system would then be a drain, especially is the intended goal was to increase air quality.

Reactions: JT.
Ahhh.. Thought i would have a dig.... is quite interesting...

Councils and Political Parties

Bath - LDM
Birmingham - LAB
Bristol - LAB
Bradford - LAB
London - Borough councils - Predominently LAB
Manchester - LAB
Portsmouth - LDM (Majority)
Sheffield - LAB/LDM/GREEN (Comitee)
Tyneside - LAB

This isnt a dig at any parties (we dont DO politics on here), however this is arguably related - Please DONT let this turn into a political thread... is JUST an observation

It's all about money. For those who apparently think it's about saving the planet, that's tosh. If it were the case then non-compliant vehicles would be banned outright. However, if you grease their palms with their fines and charges, you can enter and pollute your way merrily through. How hypocritical is that?
And do electric car owners even consider the environmental damage done to mine the raw materials for their batteries, or how they are disposed of once spent. Hmmm.
P.S take a gander of how many tfl employees are on 6 figure salaries. I think that answers most questions...

Yes, they do like to blame central government for their "under achieving" shall we say. Same with council tax the lowest seem to be in CON held councils but such is the blame culture of the two party system.

Cambridge is also looking to introduce one of these for the city & surroundings...

Looks like I am a solo voice here. I am largely neutral about the schemes but certainly don’t think they financially benefiting individuals introducing them.
Last years figures for London ULEV showed that even after expanding the zone, 92% of people were meeting the standard in the first month.
A costly IT system would then be a drain, especially is the intended goal was to increase air quality.
I'm on the same page as you. There seems to be some confusion in this post about the emissions being targetted too, in that it's not aimed at CO2 or 'saving the planet', but rather at breathed air quality - with pollution/poor air quality in cities statistically linked to significant amounts of premature deaths, respiratory diseases, etc, etc.

I stupidly got caught in a box junction leaving the open. My own fault. I went expecting traffic to move off and it just sat there., leaving me stranded in the centre.
Guessing I’ve got a £120 fine coming sometime in the post. 🤬
The traffic in Croydon is a bloody nightmare.
The only reason. I drove was because of the train strike. So a £120 fine and no chance to catch a beer with friends.

Well my UK Open weekend just got more expensive. I stayed the Thursday night at a friends flat in Richmond then drove to Croydon on the Friday morning. That itself was a mistake as it took 1 1/2 hours!!. The bigger mistake was driving in the ultra low emission zone following my satnav. I was aware that I may have driven in the zone but was not aware of the penalty! A taxi driver told me it's about £15 but it's actually £12.50/day if paid in advance...as a penalty paid later it's £80!! :mad: . Maybe I'm the last to realise this, I just assumed I'd be billed later and expected it but a friggin' £80 fine!! :mad::mad:. Richmond to Croydon is easily achievable without going in the zone but not knowing the area at all I'm 100% reliant on satnav which obviously picked the supposedly quicker route.
I had the exact same thign happen to me when visiting (what was) flipout last year. it was absolutely bucketing down with rain i mean wipers on full speed still can barely read signs, typhoon type rain. I was just busy trying to get in the right lanes following the satav on very busy, completely unfamiliar roads. Didn't know i'd entered the zone, I mean even if I'd seen a sign saying ULEZ, (last I knew it was congestion charge) as a non londoner that had never heard of that zone before, how would I know what it meant? It's not liek you can stop, get out and read the small print

first thing I know about the zone even existing was getting that same £80 fine through the post. There is no option to appeal, unless your car wasn't there.

Dive or ride a 40 year old classic they are exempt in all areas i think. Be aware if going into Bradford area signage is very poor.

In London. ULEV is different to Congestion charge. Classic vehicles are not exempt from either.

In London. ULEV is different to Congestion charge. Classic vehicles are not exempt from either.
My 65 year old classic is exempt from the ULEZ (inside the North and south circular)
But I would have to pay the congestion charge (Central London) just like all vehicles

I put my 47 year old Beetle in the checker and was told it had to pay. I just checked and found the exemption information and my car should have historic vehicle tax class and be exempt so I will see what went wrong.

My car is registered as a historic vehicle yet the pants checker would make me pay. You lot are right, they are rubbing bar steward and would just take my money. Terrible web site ;)

I stupidly got caught in a box junction leaving the open. My own fault. I went expecting traffic to move off and it just sat there., leaving me stranded in the centre.
Guessing I’ve got a £120 fine coming sometime in the post. 🤬
The traffic in Croydon is a bloody nightmare.
The only reason. I drove was because of the train strike. So a £120 fine and no chance to catch a beer with friends.

This happened to @Lecari a month or two ago when leaving Pinball Republic. Not sure what the outcome was.

It's a cash grab dressed up as a good deed pure and simple, it's primarily aimed at fleecing day-trippers but it's a cash grab none the less. If London had been emptied of traffic as a result of these measures then it might be more palatable.

I moved out of London 15 years ago and it's busier now despite the smorgasbord of charges and zones. It still took me 35 mins to drive from Wimbledon to Kingston last week (probably 3 miles ish?) because there is traffic everywhere. If pollution has been lessened then I'd suggest it has more to do with cleaner modern cars than empty roads.

No new software is needed to make the billing process easier though, it's already there. They just choose not to notify you when your number plate passes a scanner but they know exactly where you've been and which zones you've passed through. It's would be a piece of p1$$ to enable anyone who's visited London to type their number plate into the TFL.gov website and be told what to pay.

That's how ULEZ auto pay works . . . in effect they have your route data and just take the charge from your account. You certainly don't have to retrace, map your journey and extrapolate what you might owe.

It's purposefully confusing for those without an account who are not used to London. It's an easy £80

All this eco stuff has a clear target - citizens with modest incomes, the "useless eaters".

The rich will be able to fly in peace, drive on quiet roads and keep the scum hidden away shivering in their homes.

You see this clearly when white van man or ambulance man or fire engine man meets Tarquin and Tabitha or Retired Reginald glued to London's streets.

The wealthy can buy the latest "eco" cars that "qualify". They can pay the taxes and the fines. The little people suffer.

A mate of mine sells posh cheese out of a transit van at food fairs, he had to buy one of these modern add blue vans to get round these punitive rules. This is just one of thousands of small businesses harmed by this nonsense.

The idiots in the EU promoted diesel over petrol. The manufacturers cooked the test results with cheat software. They introduced Diesel Particulate Filters into cars that are a constant source of costly problems.

I am sat on a time bomb as my 2011 2.0l biturbo vw campervan has an exhaust gas cooler that falls apart destroying the engine by showering the cylinders with unfiltered aluminium particles produced the wrong side of the air filter.

My 1994 merc and 1999 volvo don't have this crap that will inevitably lead to a FUBAR engine.

Anyone with a nose and eyes can tell that diesel produces worse tail pipe emissions than petrol. These idiots also promoted the burning of wood, which also produces a bumper harvest of small airborne particles.

Smokeless fuel was introduced into cities decades ago, but the eco heroes knew better. Unlike Scott in Star Trek these cast iron stoves sealed by bits of rope can defy the laws of science.

Net result - city centres choking on diesel and wood smoke. Speed limits on roads to reduce diesel emissions.

The uk's largest power station, Drax in Yorkshire was coal. It has been converted to green biomass. It now has a bigger carbon footprint than before (even the woke BBC acknowledge this). Amazingly Drax is deforesting Canada and importing wood pellets transported by diesel trucks and shipping containers. And it gets subsidies from the UK government to do it.

Chop trees down to go green. Ignorance is strength.

Reactions: Arv
If i remember correctly it was Al Gore that wanted to tax the oil tankers that lay docked in ports waiting for the oil price to increase in price. And from that we have the carbon footprint madness.

End of the day if the earth is heating up slowly it will compensate and has done for millions of years.

Reactions: DRD
Here’s a thought. We are all wrong. Everything we spout as fact is bias and we often read what supports our view to start with.
We can keep sharing our opinions and experiences as facts and we will remain exactly where we are and nothing will change. Or we can go and read more, root out non bias opinion or at least understand the biases.
Even then, we would still be wrong but maybe less wrong but maybe not so confident we are so right about everything.

Above, I checked something, read the result as evidence and shared it with a biased opinion. I was wrong, someone called it out, I went back and read more and put my hands up. I learnt something.

This happened to @Lecari a month or two ago when leaving Pinball Republic. Not sure what the outcome was.
Yes, was exactly the same situation - I was in a queue of traffic, there was a side turning and it was only when the cars moved forward that I realised therr was a yellow box junction, but there was nothing I could do at that point - cars too close for me to move forward or back. I paid within 14 days so it was £65.

Very frustrating, especially as it was brief and didn't block anyone at the time. Could have done with a sign warning there was a box junction or something to avoid that scenario (but maybe it's deliberate, I wasn't the only person in the queue caught out).

Back
Top Bottom