What's new

John Wick by Stern

Juries out on this one atm. Was keen on reveal, but withmore reflection the pro is just so bare, that video makes the pop up to the nightclub area pretty important and Stern cutting even that out has me irked. Premium looks great but alot more £. Usually happy with a pro but might go for a bond now if I feel like changing the line up...

Potter i dont care for but matrix done well would be excellent
Matrix would be awesome if done right, Top Gun Maverick and Avatar if done properly could also be excellent.

JJP have a chance to turn the tides a little if they can bring out 3 or 4 huge hits back to back, especially if Stern continue to fumble after Venom and Wick.

JJP prices are always going to be a sticking point if they want to sell reasonably large numbers, it's just too much money for most people. Better value than Stern LEs though.
Yeah JJP need to sort their pricing out and so do Stern, there is a reason games are not flying out the door anymore, it’s the price,

Matrix would be awesome if done right, Top Gun Maverick and Avatar if done properly could also be excellent.

JJP have a chance to turn the tides a little if they can bring out 3 or 4 huge hits back to back, especially if Stern continue to fumble after Venom and Wick.
Totally agree. JJP has an opportunity here to survive. Spooky I think might not judging by the continued build issues and questionable design choices. And ap well.. Not room for all the companies any longer is my view.

A jjp top gun game with all the assets from both films would be excellent . Go next to my gold wings perfectly 🤣

Still kind of surprised they released another game this close to the jaws one. We are only on v0.89 code for jaws to so its early days here with this game. Lots to come with it. I can't help but think sales for wick will be lower because of all the jaws people buying in so recently. Also the jaws lighting is really a game changer so if wick doesnt do something even better with lighting then its gonna be a let down..

My bro came over thursday evening to play jaws and was blown away by it. He only sees new games every so often, but was quick to notice the lighting and game play was a big step forward again from older titles. Interesting perspective from an 'occasional' player

Still kind of surprised they released another game this close to the jaws one. We are only on v0.89 code for jaws to so its early days here with this game. Lots to come with it. I can't help but think sales for wick will be lower because of all the jaws people buying in so recently.

As someone who sees new games regularly, I feel Stern has somehow 'peaked'. The engineering on Godzilla Prem/LE was mindblowing, with the diverter building, bridge and mecha-godzilla, plus the toys... It feels like titles like JP2 and IMDN were working up to Godzilla, and most of the pins they've put out afterwards have been a downgrade in terms of production quality and innovation on the playfield. All the innovation at Stern recently seems to be happening in the code, and - for me, anyhow - I want a world-under-glass feeling from pinball because, otherwise, I'd be playing a video game.

Each time I play a new Stern pin, I feel like it's either a testbed for some software that isn't quite there yet (e.g. the Venom levelling system) and they're trying to sell the minimum viable product for a premium price. The direction of travel seems to be a pin where the only 'mechs' are two spinners and a single ramp, to cut costs on manufacture, but with the code complexity of an AA computer game. Stern Spike 2 pins have a certain 'feel', and it feels I'm saturated on that 'feel' now - I want something fresh.

Given that, I'm not super excited anymore by Stern pins... I just keep following along in the hope they'll turn it around :(

Still kind of surprised they released another game this close to the jaws one. We are only on v0.89 code for jaws to so its early days here with this game. Lots to come with it. I can't help but think sales for wick will be lower because of all the jaws people buying in so recently. Also the jaws lighting is really a game changer so if wick doesnt do something even better with lighting then its gonna be a let down..
Likely a result of the new factory, the new factory is just under twice the size of the old one if I remember that right. They have to keep pumping out those games and new releases. Pretty sure George said a while back that in 2024 they would be back to 3 cornerstones with other releases (vaults, reruns, special editions) scattered on the year if needed.

As someone who sees new games regularly, I feel Stern has somehow 'peaked'. The engineering on Godzilla Prem/LE was mindblowing, with the diverter building, bridge and mecha-godzilla, plus the toys... It feels like titles like JP2 and IMDN were working up to Godzilla, and most of the pins they've put out afterwards have been a downgrade in terms of production quality and innovation on the playfield. All the innovation at Stern recently seems to be happening in the code, and - for me, anyhow - I want a world-under-glass feeling from pinball because, otherwise, I'd be playing a video game.

Each time I play a new Stern pin, I feel like it's either a testbed for some software that isn't quite there yet (e.g. the Venom levelling system) and they're trying to sell the minimum viable product for a premium price. The direction of travel seems to be a pin where the only 'mechs' are two spinners and a single ramp, to cut costs on manufacture, but with the code complexity of an AA computer game. Stern Spike 2 pins have a certain 'feel', and it feels I'm saturated on that 'feel' now - I want something fresh.

Given that, I'm not super excited anymore by Stern pins... I just keep following along in the hope they'll turn it around :(
I think I just about prefer Jp2 to Godzilla but agree they are 2 of the best games ever made. It is quite difficult to envisage to what extent they can be improved upon.... but I bet similar thoughts were made with earlier eras of pinball, so I am just happy to come along for the ride and be very very selective about which ones to bring into the house 🤩

I think I just about prefer Jp2 to Godzilla but agree they are 2 of the best games ever made. It is quite difficult to envisage to what extent they can be improved upon.... but I bet similar thoughts were made with earlier eras of pinball, so I am just happy to come along for the ride and be very very selective about which ones to bring into the house 🤩
I'm excited for a pin with the production quality and world-under-glass feel of Labyrinth, but where you can level up, save your progress game-to-game, and where the shots become easier/harder depending on how you're doing. For example, if the player finds a certain shot harder, such as Jaws' wave ramp, all the enemies congregate/hide there!

I'm excited for a pin with the production quality and world-under-glass feel of Labyrinth, but where you can level up, save your progress game-to-game, and where the shots become easier/harder depending on how you're doing. For example, if the player finds a certain shot harder, such as Jaws' wave ramp, all the enemies congregate/hide there!

I think everyone should really play jaws in the dark and experience the lighting innovations. It really blows other games visually away. Not to mention the layout, shots, rules, theme integration is a class too. I dont agree they peaked at godzilla personally. But its certainly a hard game to followup on and this quickly to

either way it’s a great time for pinball

Multiple companies pumping out 5-6 new games a year, even if your a buyer or not it’s a great time to be in this niche hobby of ours.

Yep having lived through the late 90s and into the early 2000s with striker extreme... and the shut down of wms. It's good to be reminded of this! :thumbs:

Stern supposedly doing Dungeons and Dragons in 2025.

I imagine it will have tons of the above.

The irony being that even though GZ probably had the biggest BOM in years, it likely gave Stern their biggest profit in ages as they couldn't build them fast enough to keep up with demand.

BOM drops on Venom and Bond and they struggle to sell them. Gotta speculate to accumulate!

The question is whether JW will be the wake up call the industry needs to change course

The irony being that even though GZ probably had the biggest BOM in years, it likely gave Stern their biggest profit in ages as they couldn't build them fast enough to keep up with demand.

BOM drops on Venom and Bond and they struggle to sell them. Gotta speculate to accumulate!
Godzilla was developed during covid, the Stern videos at the time of release Elwin said the team had much more time to work on it, I think that shows. Code can be polished down the line, but the extra time spent refining shots and mechs makes it quite unique.

In the cynical shareholder world, the extra BOM spend, generating more interest than they could satisfy is probably seen as a bad thing, much easier maximuse profit by cutting back the parts spend than to ramp up production, I think its telling that the subsequent games seemed to have less 'stuff' packed in.

Back
Top Bottom