What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jersey Jack Ownership - The Reality

DRD

Registered
I am thinking the unthinkable, I am opening my mind to buying one. I have long been massively suspicious about post wpc era games. But for me, the Lawlor and Youssi team IS pinball. I have 6 Lawlor games and might make it 7

Could folk dish out their thoughts on Jersey Jack pls, good, bad, warts and all.

Reliability, aftersales support from the manufacturer, state of the code, things going wrong, playfield plastics/ ramps breaking/ the reality of getting spares

Thanks

D

They didn't do themselves any favours with the whole led board replacement debacle.

Their machines are pretty solid and look really good though. I've only played them at shows and in the arcade though

Reactions: DRD
Can't say anything about aftersales but I owned WoZ Ruby Red for 6 months and it is just beautiful(the one at NERG) Certainly doesn't look cheap and I loved it.

Solid machines and worth every penny.. As folk say. They are the Bally/Williams of this era. Reckon code for DI is about 60% complete.
4 years later still tweaking WOZ and by all accounts the Hobbit still has a fair bit to go too.

Well, JJP are going to have 5 Pirate games to play at Expo - only 11 days away.

Seems that it is a widebody based on all 5 POTC movies.

Plenty of toys by new designer - can't remember his name.

They have been working on this game for a few years so pretty curious to see how it plays.

Is Pirates of the Caribbean still a relevant theme nowadays? Maybe 10 years ago it was. Seems like a strange choice but if it looks/plays well then it won't really matter.

I guess POTC has some great cinematic moments which would look good on the JJP backbox. Firing cannonballs sinking ships. Still not fired up on this one..

Mind you it’s difficult as Stern tend to pick up all the licences. Would have preferred JJP to get Guardians of the Galaxy.

Can't knock production values on the JJP machines, I had a hobbit smaug and it was a beautiful thing. I can't say that I really enjoyed the game despite it's obvious artistry and technical accomplishment. Took me a while to come around to buying a Dialed In - and that was through reviews of the game itself, not the build quality. I'm still wary of buying NIB but am confident DI is top drawer.

I expect I’ll pick up a DI this is easily lawlors best game and appears to be very well made.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Have you not played it yet Sarge? Hopefully Phil will have it at NLP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

*easily lawlors best*

Now considering we live in a world where TZ exists that is some statement :eek::D

I'm a huge fan of TZ so I'm not going to go as far as saying DI is "easily Lawlors best" just yet. After playing DI at the launch party at Tilt back in July I can say it's certainly a possibilty, however I'll need to play a lot more of it when my game arrives next month before considering it better than TZ. If you haven't played it yet Sarge then keep an open mind. Even if it isn't as good as TZ I reckon it could quite easily be the best game since WMS closed its doors, hence why it will be my first NIB.

TZ and FH are two of my favourite Lawlor games and after having a few games on DI at Tilt I personally think DI is right up there with the very best of them. It absolutely has that Lawlor feel to it. The layout is nice and varied with fun shots and the rule set is great. It really does make the latest Sterns feel stale in comparison. And thumbs up for an original theme too!

I own a WOZ and TH bought from Phil. Had issues with both but the customer support from both Phil and JJP has been ace. As has already been mentioned in terms of build quality they are a thing of beauty...

Would have bought a DI but while it was definitely fun to play the theme didn't grab me at all which it has to for the money. Will see how it goes with JJP#4... My biggest word of warning is on code, while they are clearly supporting machines TH has been along time coming to meet it's potential - I feel it was totally dropped to work on DI, but recently it's been given some more love. I've promised myself not to buy another NIB game until I've played it, and feedback from the community suggests the code is mature. Maybe this bothers me more than others but it's just something to think about.

Reactions: DRD
Are the JJP playfields robust ?

An option on dialed in is a factory fitted Playfield protector. Does it make sense to get one?

Yes very much so, there were some exceptions with WOZ if I recall but the majority are great.

In a home use environment the protector is overkill IMO, like those crazy yanks who keep the plastic on their settee after they bring it home from the shop :hmm: Plus they do impact on ball physics, I can attest to this.

Yes very much so, there were some exceptions with WOZ if I recall but the majority are great.

In a home use environment the protector is overkill IMO, like those crazy yanks who keep the plastic on their settee after they bring it home from the shop :hmm: Plus they do impact on ball physics, I can attest to this.

Plastic on the sofa impacts ball physics? Duly noted

Plastic on the sofa impacts ball physics? Duly noted

It was an analogy for OTT protection. Best to just enjoy it for me at least, from home use there will be no ill effects.

edit: and a playfield is easy to wipe clean, protectors get dust trapped underneath (I have one on my LOTR) and they impact ball physics which is the biggest negative

Back
Top Bottom