What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jaws! By Stern… We’re going to need a bigger games room !

Played this for the first time today at Funland. Really enjoyed it, and it's a killer theme for me, loved the original film. Collected a shed load of teeth and a jaw bone?!?! (no idea what they do). Think it's gonna be a gem with code updates.
Managed to trap the ball under the boat, and the shark ate the ball 🤣. Unfortunately I was just a little too late with my camera20240210_132928.jpg

So went Brunswick center tonight to give Jaws ago. Maybe I’m biased as I’m in on a premium but I absolutely loved it! Long post and apologies if I repeat what others have said, but hope it helps anyone on the fence :)

I think this machine is still in 0.80 code and I’ll be honest I wasn’t paying to much attention to progressing through the game rather concentrating on using all the features and finding out the shots.

Shot wise I didn’t really struggle to hit most shots, maybe the reel shot was the toughest for me. The wave shot - yes I did have rejects and I’d say about 50% of the time I got on to the upper playfield which was fast but fun! What I really like with the wave shot, if you didn’t go all the way round you landed on right hand rail and you still scored the shot you was intending! (Well at least I think it did lol). Really loved the centre shot which loops back on itself, really fast and satisfying! Also the right ramp was very cool and fairly easy to hit

The mini flipper was quite tricky but once I started to cradle the ball then shoot was a lot easier, I started to nail the harpoon activation shot and I managed to get video mode 3 times out of the couple of hours play I had.

Right outlane ball save I though was epic, maybe being such a noob and when starting out getting absolutely hammered by JP2 nedry outlanes I found it really refreshing to have the ability to save yourself! I also managed to use the life ring quite successfully, defiantly more than most streams I watched when it appeared most struggled! Again maybe because I’m used to losing balls to the out-lanes lol.

Flip lock! Loved this! So useful in jaws multiball which i thought was great! My initial approach was to hit the chum twice so prepared for the extra ball and once my ball save run out, give it another whack!

Harpoon shots I really enjoyed and although on the face of it quite easy, it’s not always and was a great feeling when hit!

Shark! I really loved the shark in the playfield popping up! The light show and sound effects around this are awesome! I can’t compare how this is to a pro but for me I felt was a cool toy to bash and really part of the game! I don’t think the drop targets were that important for me with the premium though!

Mode wise didn’t really progress much all though really liked the idea of Quints challenge - didn’t complete any lol and collecting the sharks was very cool too.

Video mode was pretty fun, my main objective was to get the extra ball which I got every time I played it and averaged around 30-40 mil so was worth it!

Some others have commented that the game stopped a bit too much with the video assets, I didn’t feel this but I suppose it was all new to me so enjoyed all the scenes, some I could skip with the double flip anyway.

The light show and sound effects are amazing on this machine, the night search mode was great as most of the lights went out and only the back gi’s stayed on, creating a totally different atmosphere to other modes. I can see that the light show in this machine is only going to improve.

Overall I really enjoyed my first outing with this game, now just to wait god knows how long for mine to arrive ;)

$495 for the mod. Say Stern did it as standard. So mass production would be roughly $200 for this?

So an extra $250 added to the price with this sort of mech. I'm sure they'd sell (chum) bucket loads more.

$495 for the mod. Say Stern did it as standard. So mass production would be roughly $200 for this?

So an extra $250 added to the price with this sort of mech. I'm sure they'd sell (chum) bucket loads more.
At Sterns volumes and the way they reuse/use the same parts across multiple areas of games I’d imagine it would be far less than $200 at Sterns end.

Besides at current prices we should be getting more mechs, Sterns making very healthy numbers per game.

It's a very impressive mod, to pull that off without ruining the flow, keeping the game fast. Wow.
But, I don't think it works with the theme and atmosphere personally.
It'll please most who want him to eat the ball though so that's good

It's a very impressive mod, to pull that off without ruining the flow, keeping the game fast. Wow.
But, I don't think it works with the theme and atmosphere personally.
It'll please most who want him to eat the ball though so that's good

It doesn't work with the theme and atmosphere? Have you seen a different movie where the shark goes around smiling and hi-fiving swimmers?

One user on pinside mentions that this mod will register a ramp hit everytime you make that shot. So a bit of a cheat maybe if it does, and ruins the way it was intended.

Interested to see what he does with the prem/le but I don’t like the idea of the wrong shot registering something else

It's about balance yes true Scott long as doesn't upset the way game is intended
Same as the reel spinner
There's now people trying to put mods and proper reels on that when it's all been
Designed to slow the ball speed down so why mess with it
Some people are cashing in on this with crappy 3d plastic mods
Nowhere near what stumblor is offering
Also like to see where this ball is going to

It doesn't work with the theme and atmosphere? Have you seen a different movie where the shark goes around smiling and hi-fiving swimmers?

He doesn't eat balls over and over, he's mostly hidden and only has things thrown in his mouth once or twice if I remember?

Although I think it’s very impressive what he has done and proves Stern could have easily done something similar. Now that @Big Phil mentiined a smiling shark I can’t unsee it 😂

Mod looks great, amazing what these guys do in a couple months. Good you can hit the actual shark on a Pro.

That's a good mod. Really neat.

Would only be better if it had a moving mouth.

If it was to be in keeping with the film, feeding the shark with a ball would penalise the player - right up to the point that you'd have to shoot the oxygen tank to kill it.

Still though,

I have the ramp he designed for Rick and Morty, it honestly makes the game a lot better. The game suffered from bad Geometry, the garage shot was nigh on impossible to make. What he's done for Jaws is commendable. Its no small feat to add a physical mech into a playfield and a shark model that moves and eats the ball.

I honestly find it amazing that so many on Facebook are sat their laughing at his work and calling it terrible. He's literally just proven that you could get the shark to eat the ball and still maintain a fast game play. To top it off its all reversable with no permenant damage to the playfield. Admit it or not, but this guy is pretty talented.

I agree with Scott, it’s pretty incredible what the guy has done and I personally would never critisise his work.

For me though especially having played the game I really don’t think it needs it at all. I’ll be leaving alone but fair plays to the guy.

Its impressive in the space of few weeks a guy can make this mod for shark etb
But I'm also bewildered too with the obsession of it
Don't fully understand how the switch works once ball kicks back out but assume it affects the right ramp
Taking some purity away from the shot and code
Although he has delivered what people asked for so fair play
Just not for me

Prem -

Shark Encounter - Hit captive ball to bash the boat enough times so boat raises up, shark bash toy pops up and you hit it.
Jaws_LE_Details_Strobe_54.0.jpeg

Pro -

Shark Encounter - There is no boat so hit captive ball underneath shark in the cage, hit captive ball enough times, then hit it again to simulate hitting shark, no shark bash toy.
Jaws-Pro-Details-Strobe-23-aj3d3j-scaled.jpg

Pro with Ball Eater Mod -

Shark Encounter - There is no boat or captive ball, but now a shark bash toy, hit area enough times for shark encounter, shark can also eat the ball and fast eject to right ramp.
Screenshot 2024-02-15 at 21.32.53.png

It would be good if we see another mod for the Pro where they copy Stern's Premium, raising boat and pop up bash shark only.

Seemed to be some concern on the Ball Eater mod that it registers a right ramp shot, but the mod creator has stated "the final version won't register the right ramp shot"

Looks like this ball eater mod is going to do really well. The creators Shark Ball Eater video has more views in one day than Stern's official Bond accessories video.

Back
Top Bottom