What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jaws! By Stern… We’re going to need a bigger games room !

I’ve owned several LEs over the years and still have two in my lineup GZ and DP simply because I like all the pizazz an LE brings along with its exclusivity.
The smart money is now on the long game of waiting till they enter the used market as FF can bare testament too.
As for exclusivity do a Gonzo on a prem/Pro and it becomes a 1 off and to your own taste.

Even though Jaws is not for me I do like the foil/metallic artwork as it’s stunning in GZ le.

I know of 1
Is that he who shall not be named here 😆
I’ve owned several LEs over the years and still have two in my lineup GZ and DP simply because I like all the pizazz an LE brings along with its exclusivity.
The smart money is now on the long game of waiting till they enter the used market as FF can bare testament too.
As for exclusivity do a Gonzo on a prem/Pro and it becomes a 1 off and to your own taste.

Even though Jaws is not for me I do like the foil/metallic artwork as it’s stunning in GZ le.
biggest difference now Col is those LEs didn’t set you back 15-16k.

Foil decals like the lit speakers are cheap as chips for Stern.

All this angst about the shark swallowing the ball seems ridiculous to me. Surely if the ball is swallowed (eaten) by the shark that means the shark has eaten you (won)?
It would have been interesting if Stern had made it so if the shark did swallow the ball it meant you lost that ball - a journey back to the gobble holes of old (no not that type!).
Just imaging the uproar. :D

People have commented that the shark is the main focus in Jaws (then say they haven't actually seen the film:rofl:). There's a lot more shots of just a fleeting glimpse of the fin and the vast open sea. (Famously because 'Bruce' was a bit 💩 and not actually ready so Spielberg had to reduce screen time) - so for Stern to be 'true to the film' the majority of the playfield should be completely vacant (some may say they've achieved this)

The problem with any company making a machine based on a massive theme, is that everyone will have their own ideas as to what 'MUST' be in there, or how it is going to be implemented - God help whoever (if ever) gets to make a Harry Potter machine - I can see the comments now about how so and so has been missed out, or such and such an artefact hasn't been included, they should have had a flying broomstick, etc. etc.
The ball could represent the canister they put in the sharks mouth at the end. Once it goes in, sharks mouth part closes, playfield lights darken, video clip of Brody comes up, the game screams ‘smile you son of a bitch’. The player then hits the bash toy, shark explodes, lights flashing everywhere music swells…

Jaws is on ITV4 at 9pm tonight.

(Note this is the Premium version where an actual shark’s head comes out the water and eats people. Showing immediately afterwards is the Stern Pro Directors Cut where the shark doesn’t eat anyone as they didn’t think it was as fun.)

1 shark jaws collected
If I remember what Elizabeth said on one of the Stern streams, teeth are used for the challenge modes and jaws go towards your shark hunter ranking. Challenge modes and Hunter Ranks will all have live leaderboards too.

So I got a couple of more hours today on Jaws over at Funland, I think my opinion of the game has dropped a little the more I've played of it? Maybe I just sucked at the game! But here are some thoughts with limited pinball knowledge at best...

-There doesn't really seem to be much variation in strategy on the game unless I've missed something. Get a bounty and mode lined up with Jaws multiball and then go crazy. Then use that to go into rescue and repeat. It may be due to early code but I didn't have much incentive to change my strategy up because there wasn't much else to do!!

-I had an issue mentioned in here a couple of times with the shark actually eating the ball! Well only when I shot it during a multiball and the ball went down with it. I have a feeling it'll be a fairly common thing for people to accidentally do.

-This may have been Funland specific but it was really difficult to get a successful shot to go up to the upper playfield. Maybe 1 in 5 went up there, and only another 1 in 5 dropped onto the alternate ramp. Most just came right back.

-Action button definitely feels underused compared to other sterns as of late. I don't mind it being used as a skill based item to save a ball but I think it feels a little underutilised. I know you can get uses from it from capturing one of the sharks with the machetes but the vast majority of the game it just stays there unused unless you earn life ring.

I think eventually there will be a lot more to build on because shot wise I don't really have too much of a problem with it, they all feel pretty nice and you can get a good flow going. Design wise I do really enjoy the layout overall. It's just the depth and variation of the game is a little lacking right now. I didn't really think pinball would be subject to an issue the gaming industry has had for a while with products being released not even being fully completed code wise. Surely it's arguably even worse for pinball since you are committing a lot more money to a product. Perhaps that's just the way of the world right now but I think I'm getting a little off topic...

I'm getting deja vu to when I played bond last year when I was first getting into the scene, it's gonna be undercooked for a while but once it gets more code I hope it'll get a lot better. Playing bond recently it is miles better then when I first played it so I think Jaws will probably get that way but who knows!

I think Code will definitely help this the way it made bond better than when that came out.
There is an extra risk reward element coded already in a similar way to foo fighters- keep bashing the boat captive ball before starting a mode and that will do numerous mode enhancements (extra time, higher scoring)
The shot to upper playfully does reject a lot but again it's coded so if it falls onto that alternate ramp you do get credited for making the shot.
I wasn't impressed when I played it at eag, then started warming to it at funland but I'm definitely not amazed by it!

Just been watching some 0.83 code Jaws. I have a suspicion that for all the dazzle of Elton John and the ridiculous retro beauty of Pulp Fiction, ultimately Jaws will end up the best game of the newer releases. I say this as someone that hasn't played any of them but just the vibe I'm getting.

Just been watching some 0.83 code Jaws. I have a suspicion that for all the dazzle of Elton John and the ridiculous retro beauty of Pulp Fiction, ultimately Jaws will end up the best game of the newer releases. I say this as someone that hasn't played any of them but just the vibe I'm getting.
I'm watching this now and getting the feeling I'm getting reeled in now.

It depends on what you want, I think :) It’s very much an Elwin, with the usual tricks (and traps) that are especially fun in tournament play. On current code, it lacks a certain drama/magic and, as the owner of two other Elwins, who plays a lot of pins from different eras, it’s very characteristically an early 2020s Stern - nothing too new here.

It would definitely have a place in an all-Spike 2 collection and it’s likely a great choice if you like regularly swapping pins :)

Reactions: Jib
Yeah I've owned a few Elwin games and it does look to follow his style. I get the impression that Pulp Fiction won't have longevity and so that might be the one to buy if you like regularly swapping pins.

Yeah I've owned a few Elwin games and it does look to follow his style. I get the impression that Pulp Fiction won't have longevity and so that might be the one to buy if you like regularly swapping pins.
It's a 80s-style pin with B/W-complexity rules. Depends on what you like and how good you are. Fish Tales has stayed here longer than Lord of the Rings. I suspect, if you can complete Scared Stiff regularly and that bores you, PF won't stay around - it's about at that level.

That might be more because Bored of the Rings is a bit crap? Haha I jest, sort of.... And yes it depends on what you like of course, all subjective etc etc.

Hate Elton as a theme, I’m def not a buyer but JJP have excelled themselves.
Both Jaws original and Pulp Fiction are fantastic movies.
Wouldn’t say either are great pinball themes but, which has been better executed?
Def saying PF
I know….haven’t played any of these…but ….
ESPN. The coverage is excellent, you'd be surprised at how much you can pick up

[Cole Trickle Days of Thunder]

Hate Elton as a theme, I’m def not a buyer but JJP have excelled themselves.
Both Jaws original and Pulp Fiction are fantastic movies.
Wouldn’t say either are great pinball themes but, which has been better executed?
Def saying PF
I know….haven’t played any of these…but ….
ESPN. The coverage is excellent, you'd be surprised at how much you can pick up

[Cole Trickle Days of Thunder]

Incredible reference. Love DOT. Always makes me think of this Rich Hall clip 😂;

It's a 80s-style pin with B/W-complexity rules. Depends on what you like and how good you are. Fish Tales has stayed here longer than Lord of the Rings. I suspect, if you can complete Scared Stiff regularly and that bores you, PF won't stay around - it's about at that level.
🤔 Josh is still in the world top 30 players and wrote the game rules, yet has only reached the wizard mode twice.

1706867679129.png

🤔 Josh is still in the world top 30 players and wrote the game rules, yet has only reached the wizard mode twice.

View attachment 243497
I got to Briefcase Boogie and a mode with 858,000, and Ian (who got GC with 2+ million) got slightly further, so maybe it's one of those where it *looks* like the wizard mode is doable, but it remains tantalisingly out of reach :)

I got to Briefcase Boogie and a mode with 858,000, and Ian (who got GC with 2+ million) got slightly further, so maybe it's one of those where it *looks* like the wizard mode is doable, but it remains tantalisingly out of reach :)
Just listened to David Thiel's Audio Party
Says PF (content from 56:30) is the most complete done done done polished jewel Pinball game ever as Play Mechanix had no factory scheduling to have anyone breathing down their neck, and the wizard mode is to die for and like a whole separate game! Amazing podcast episode if you're an audio nerd.

Having watched all the gameplay vids, I really want to play the version of this game Keith Elwin has in his house.
It is probably how he intended the game to be.

It's pretty clear that Elwin lost the battle of design vs corporate & license approval - leaving him with a game that he doesn't really care for.

There's so much JAWS Film (and virtually no Jaws) in the machine, that the actual targets and features of the game are pushed to the periphery - leaving a vast ocean of nothingness on the playfield.

The things that made Elwin's previous games great just don't seem to feature. There's a lot of holding/cradling the ball and trying to make specific shots. The game actually stops the flow a lot.

Personally, I love the film - watching it at Christmas on tv as a five year old, had me looking back at the toilet bowl in fear for months.

It's clear from Stern's recent releases that producing fun, design driven games has given way to maximising profits with less and less being offered for more and more.

Perhaps it's time Elwin's designed a game for another manufacturer...

Last edited:

I thought exactly this myself recently.

His talent and imagination is limited by budget. I guess every designers is to one extent or another, but Elwin deserves to see he creations festooned with mechanisms and unlimited opportunity.

It's a bit like Willy Wonka being asked to make confectionary for Aldi.

I expect the owner of the license had quite a bit say in the final product and with Stern cutting production costs to the bare minimum.

They could have just called it Shark killer but I expect that would've drawn quite a lot of criticism from ecologists/animal cruelty/people no longer down with that sh*t.

Elwin doesn't even say he's happy with the game/finished product.

Having watched all the gameplay vids, I really want to play the version of this game Keith Elwin has in his house.
It is probably how he intended the game to be.

It's pretty clear that Elwin lost the battle of design vs corporate & license approval - leaving him with a game that he doesn't really care for.

I've watched multiple stream with Elwin and he's always been pleased with it.

What videos does he reference his game at home and if so what design difference are there...

Elwin loves Stern so I doubt he'll ever move

Elwin move to another manufacturer?
JJP seem to be staying well clear of fancy mechs.
Steve Ritchie jumped ship but still not seeing
the electromechanical wow with his Elton.
Just sh^t loads of glitter, LEDs, aesthetics, music and moving plastic figures, some smoke and mirrors.
Yes def got the wow factor if you like Elton’s music.
Probably just me cause I dislike EJ. Those call outs by the woman are just grating 😬
Watched loads of streams of Elton and I still think AC/DC Prem is a better shooting, cooler pin which he did way back in 2012.

It was just the impression I got. Perhaps I'm just projecting my disappointment?

He doesn't reference any alternative game at home, in any video. It was speculation that an unadulterated, undiluted game could exist and I would like to play it.

Stern are the current market leaders, but for how long? All the other manufacturers seem to be trying to pack stuff into their machines whilst Stern a stripping theirs down.

The gameplay seems like there is a lot of 'chopping wood' - if that's the term?

Last edited:
It was just the impression I got. Perhaps I'm just projecting my disappointment?

He doesn't reference any alternative game at home, in any video. It was speculation that an unadulterated, undiluted game could exist and I would like to play it.

Stern are the current market leaders, but for how long? All the other manufacturers seem to be trying to pack stuff into their machines whilst Stern a stripping theirs down.

The gameplay seems like there is a lot of 'chopping wood' - if that's the term?

Jaws is pretty good, I played it and enjoyed it. However, there are other options out there and there are probably a number of better Sterns which have gone before.

I think Elwins previous releases wowed everyone . . . now there is a mixed response and Foo Fighters looks to be the better shooter.

People are speculating that future code updates might make Jaws more appealing which is not the usual response to an Elwin game.

I might get a Jaws because I think the movie assets might be really good at home, but unlike before I'm not in a hurry.

Back
Top Bottom