What's new

Iron Man

roadshow16

Registered
Alias
CMP
Has been on my list for quite some time now, but due to the scarcity of them in the UK I had almost no game time on it, other than Terry's game in the team comp at Daventry (where it destroyed me).

Anyway, I recently managed to get hold of one in nice condition. And I can honestly say that no machine has ever made me feel like this. I have never screamed and shouted at a machine so much in my life, it is the epitome of brutal, it leaves me feeling pathetic, and I absolutely love it!

I have had some good games on it, around about 100m is is my best so far, but I just can't find any level of consistency, it is a completely all or nothing game I find. I know that most of the top players tend to go for Monger, but this is such a risky strategy. I have some good games playing it just going for Monger, but alot more more awful games. Likewise with Bogey, if you don't make that right ramp you are dead. I guess that is why it is regarded as such a good competition machine. You have to take risks, but the reward when you play well can be huge.

I think it's going to be quite some time before I feel like I can walk up to it and play well more often than playing badly. I would honestly say my average score at the moment is around 5-7m.

Would appreciate some tips from those of you who have had some decent time on IM, it's such a well made, well designed game with a rule set that is so perfectly constructed. I am addicted!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 26
Probally the best person to give you tips on IM would be Stormy, he has clocked up plenty of hours on the game and knows what pays and what doesn't.
He is the best player I have ever seen on it and as a bonus he is on the forum, (mufcmufc).

Stormy vs Craig on almost any game would, i think, be a contest worth watching.

hafta admit i have a soft spot for Iron Man as well, though i only ever played half a dozen games on it. it's such a shame that this applies to almost any game in the last 6-8 or so years, as the arcades are gone and these new boys are only ever seen, albeit briefly, at shows.

i digress. c'mon Craig, let's have some lovely close up pics of the different shots, along with some analysis and commentary. yes, i know i could go and read Martin on Pinball News, or watch the Bowen crew doing a full tutorial, but i'd prefer a more personal tour, so i'm not even gonna link to those here yet.

Yeah I have spent quite a bit of time reading Martins report and watching Bowen, Roy Wils, Cayle, Elwin and Daniele unpick the game in different ways, although the most common strategy does seem to be Iron Monger repeated. I will certainly take some time to document the different strategies etc, and if I can find some time i will make some game play videos, intentionally playing the game with different goals and objectives and showing you all how it kicks my ass

Congrats on the pick up mate, IM is a f*cking brilliant game......and a bitch :D As I just posted in the other thread about fast games, give Stormy a shout as I've seen him monster his IM on more than one occasion.

And I can honestly say that no machine has ever made me feel like this. I have never screamed and shouted at a machine so much in my life, it is the epitome of brutal, it leaves me feeling pathetic, and I absolutely love it!

Love to be a fly on the wall for that... ;)

Yep, it's a brutal machine alright and yet at IFPA7 when IM was new out by only a few weeks, I saw someone (possibly Trent) complete it...! :eek:

In my experience less than 10M is typical and greater than 20M is a (very?) good game.

I've had mine for about a year now and would not class myself as a good player but average about 10million per game and high score is only around 45million. Played the one down in Bournemouth and again averaged around 10million.
One thing I have done is change the setting for Iron Monger so that you can only activate him by the center shot. Found that when you could use the orbits he came up to often.
The other must is to fit an external subwoofer.

Got a shaker on mine which adds to the intensity.

Never played a game with such an adrenalin rush. There is no real comparison to this game.

Someone says they saw someone complete it? The DOD multiball where they all have to flash? Got to be one of the hardest things in pinball, if not THE hardest!

Regular DOD is hard enough ( only done that once ) and Jericho a bit easier but the sidelanes just swallow balls:mad:

I'd agree with that, there isn't really a game out there that I can compare it too. It doesn't feel or play like any other that I have played, its so unbelievably ruthless.

At home when I play, my main objective is DOD, which I think that to be honest it has to be, as a 50M payoff is just too much of a reward to not go for. The way that I have attacked this is by going for Drones from the start as they are by far the most difficult thing to achieve. Ideally I would get 6 or 7 of the 8 drones on my first ball and then start to progress some of the others. Iron Monger will probably be very near by now, along with the Iron Man targets. I then cant decide on what the next best strategy is. Monger and War Machine stack well, so the majority of the time I raise the Monger, finish the drones and then hit War Machine to start multiball, then whilst in the 2 ball, pound on the Monger to start that Multiball too, play them out and hopefully get the super jackpot on the Monger. This leaves me in a very precarious situation of just having Whiplash to complete, which is a very dangerous shot and kills me a lot of the time resulting in being reduced to nothing.

The other way is to start War Machine and then pound on the Whiplash shot and get those 2 multiballs stacked, but this then leaves you with having to complete Iron Monger which again is an incredibly dangerous shot.

I have managed DOD probably about 10 times so far, succesfully making the shot about 6 or 7 times I'd say. Recently I have tried aiming for the Iron Man targets first instead, trying to quickly play through fast scoring so that the second time through which is double scoring is when I start DOD which would turn that 50M hurry up into a 100M hurry up! Haven't managed this yet, but have come extremely close.

I have probably managed Jericho about 20 times, but haven't scratched the surface of this as I have always drained extremely quickly.

DOD multiball seems completely insane. I was speaking to Cayle George in Germany about this and he said that he hasn't heard of anyone making it there legitimately. To get that Drones target to start flashing you have to make it through 4 completions! Which is frankly insane.

Do or Die, a 50 million hurry up when you manage to start all 5 modes across the middle of the playfield (Iron Man, Iron Monger, Whiplash, Drones and War Machine) in the same ball.

Wish it were still a 50 million hurry up;)

It is now 35 million. See Code below and one more after this version.
V 01.5 - 9-September-2010
====================

- removed iron monger middle position switches/logic as they were not being used.
- The background lamp effect for wizard mode multiball was not toggling the 'on_phase'. This has been corrected.
- Wizard mode multiball background lamp effect was not setting mask bits for some shot lamp string to show up. This has been corrected.
- Fixed bogey ramp adjustment.
- Fixed capitalization issues.
- Changed DoD hurry-up scoring from 50M->25M to 35M->15M.
- Iron monger attack was not checking all of the right things before deciding it was OK to start the mode. This has been corrected.

Someone says they saw someone complete it? The DOD multiball where they all have to flash? Got to be one of the hardest things in pinball, if not THE hardest!

Regular DOD is hard enough ( only done that once ) and Jericho a bit easier but the sidelanes just swallow balls:mad:

Pretty sure they did, they certainly completed all the characters and the Iron Monger to level 6 I presume they got DOD and Jericho after that I think the game continued on no characters or Iron Monger levels, effectively starting again but keeping the score. Like I say it was a very eraly machine with early game code which, may be been quite different possibly having modes or multiballs missing, knowing what Stern issue as initial game code to be added to later on.

Pretty sure they did, they certainly completed all the characters and the Iron Monger to level 6 I presume they got DOD and Jericho after that I think the game continued on no characters or Iron Monger levels, effectively starting again but keeping the score. Like I say it was a very eraly machine with early game code which, may be been quite different possibly having modes or multiballs missing, knowing what Stern issue as initial game code to be added to later on.

That sounds like DOD and Jericho but not DOD multiball which is insanely hard as you have to complete all 6 characters and then get each one to flash.......all on one ball!!!!!!

strange how IM was deemed as pants when it came out hence why not many in the uk
and now everybody wants it terry got a real bargain when he bought that new one from the show

I'm thinking that I may have to part with Iron Man due to real life taking over, which I hate to say the least.

It's an incredible game. My machine is in nice condition, it has some flipper button wear, a small amount of wear to the whiplash magnet and could do with a shop.

Anyone interested then I have pics, machine located in Bristol and it's £4k.

That sounds like DOD and Jericho but not DOD multiball which is insanely hard as you have to complete all 6 characters and then get each one to flash.......all on one ball!!!!!!

Only just seen this thread

You don't have to complete the characters all on one ball. Any completion carries over from ball to ball (my best in one game is two!!!) I've never completed the Iron Man targets or the Drones

Craig, find something else to sell, you'll undoubtedly regret getting rid of IM even at £4k

Anyone interested then I have pics, machine located in Bristol and it's £4k.

I'd love an Iron Man and would consider selling something to get one. It's the one Stern I played most out of a line up at Disneyquest (that included Spiderman and Batman!) but never thought a S/H one would be that high tbh. Dictated by the rarity?

I'd love an Iron Man and would consider selling something to get one. It's the one Stern I played most out of a line up at Disneyquest (that included Spiderman and Batman!) but never thought a S/H one would be that high tbh. Dictated by the rarity?

Probably dictated by the fact (I imagine) that he doesn't want to sell it so in order for it to go then the price needs to be met sort of thing. That and the fact it's a kick **** game and yes they made 1153 (or something) of which 6 came to the UK (but 4 more have been imported since) and MOST went out on site as collectors hated it when it came out (me included)

Probably dictated by the fact (I imagine) that he doesn't want to sell it so in order for it to go then the price needs to be met sort of thing. That and the fact it's a kick **** game and yes they made 1153 (or something) of which 6 came to the UK (but 4 more have been imported since) and MOST went out on site as collectors hated it when it came out (me included)
The rumour is less than 1050 as no one has ever found one with a higher number - someone on Pinside says he got last off the production line and it was number 1040. Without doubt my favourite Stern ever and in my top 3 overall.

Back
Top Bottom