What's new

Incoming Hobbit

simono

Site Supporter
I have a Hobbit Smaug from Chris B arriving (hopefully sometime this week) and am looking forward to getting it:D

I know its a bit of a "marmite" pin, but seems with code updates its got a lot better.

It will be going in with my FH, CFTBL & TAF, so am hoping will be a good variation to these.

Would appreciate any pointers on gameplay etc, as have heard is quite a deep game, or is it all pretty straight forward?

With any new Pin I prefer to just play it for a while first and let it show me what I need to achieve to progress through the game. It makes the enjoyment last longer and throws up surprises. It is only after I feel I am not getting any further that I might start looking for tips.

After a few months of playing Aerosmith I've just upped my balls from 3 to 4 as I can't get near the mini Wizard mode on 3. Now it's on 4 I'm playing it more as I feel like I've got a better chance of getting further into the game.

Enjoy your Hobbit :clap:

Yeah it’s very deep, the rules take some learning.

I usually go for orbits/loops first, so that modes start as multiballs, more chance of completing the mode.

Look out for the arkenstone symbols on the corner of each display section on the lcd. You have to complete all sections and light all the symbols to qualify the first wizard mode “Into The Fire” which is awesome.

A quick summary of how to collect the five arkenstones:

Erebor: just keep shooting loops, easy enough.

Smaug multiball: Rollovers spell lock then lock three balls in Smaug, also pretty easy.

Beast Frenzy: Hit all four pop up beasts, raise them by the inlane switches, the outside two are harder to hit.

Feast Frenzy: Collect all the dwarves, hit various shots/target banks, usually happens as a matter of course anyway.

Complete one mode: By far the hardest to achieve, the 31 modes range from very easy to incredibly hard.

If you get to Into The Fire you then have to do it all again to get the second wizard mode, Barrel Escape. I’ve only managed this 2 or 3 times in 400 or so games, with the third wizard mode Battle of Five Armies nowhere in sight yet.

Last edited:
We have one and love it! My advice is not to read too much, just the basics, and then enjoy the adventure :)

I would suggest you check the wires under the beast mechs as they are prone to getting pinched and eventually chopped, two of mine suffered from this within a few months of ownership (machine built last November). As far as I know this has not yet been sorted at the factory. Most people add a washer under one of the screws which acts like a stop and protects the wire, there are posts here and on PS.

Maybe it's not what some folk are after but I find it's a nice change. Fit's nicely into JJP releases. WOZ, Hobbit, DI and POTC who would say no to that line-up alone. Not me.
It really is a epic journey. Turn off the lights crank up the sound and your in for a treat :)

Thats great, thanks.

Think every pin is going to divide opinion (some more than others :)), but personally really looking forward to this one, as very different to anything else have now or previously :thumbs:

I haven’t made my mind up in the Hobbit. I played it in TILT a lot. It is quite a slow machine (the one I played anyway), I don’t like the ratchet sound of the targets on the left - are they supposed to be that loud ?
I reckon it would come into its own as a home use machine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I like it because it’s different to anything else I have, and the deepest game I’ve owned so far.
Sounds and display are amazing.

The floatiness of the game was a bit of a bugbear for me so I set mine up as steep as possible while still being able to make the ramps. Rear leg levellers are almost at the end of their threads!

You really do need to play in a home environment where you can hear it properly, set it up to your preference and get your head around the rules to appreciate it.

Thanks again, some really useful info.
Got it delivered on Monday by Martin, & is just as described, thanks Chris.
Have it set up at 7 degrees, and got Into the Fire, where it all goes a bit crazy, certainly wasnt slow, then when that ends, suddenly all is calm.
Havent played as much as would like (have to earn a living) , agree is probably best in a home enviroment as takes a bit of working out

Back
Top Bottom