What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to get rid of unwanted visitors

I also stuck a similar post on our local Facebook page. It never fails. I’ve already got people moaning that I’m being cruel to foxes 😂

Meanwhile on here practical advice about 12 gauge shotguns. 😀
That's because we're problem solvers :D

Coming into a house via a cat flap is pretty extreme though, that fox isn't acting within the usual realms of normal animal nature.

London foxes are becoming tame/domesticated - the same process that, apparently, eventually led to the evolution of the domestic dog. The foxes around here (about 20 minutes on a bike from @johnwhitfield's house) don't appear to be fully nocturnal anymore. I see them wandering about in the daytime quite happily and they are becoming as tame as the pigeons (but not as fat).

It's only a matter of time before they start going to tourist hotspots and begging, or getting onto public transport, like the Istanbul/Russian street dogs:

A new cat flap might do the job, but I'd be making enquiries too - might be worth having a word with the council's environmental health dept/pest control and seeing what they say, they may be able to assist in relocating it or potentially destroying it.

I wouldn't want to suggest harming it unless there was no other option, but in your case this fox could be more than just an irritation - If the fox is in the house and you or one of your pets inadvertently gets between it and the way out you might have a real problem very quickly.
You don't want to be in-between a frightened, cornered fox and it's exit route

I live out in the countryside and we have foxes, badger, deer, stoats all sorts travel through the garden and they do no harm and it's lovely to see all the wildlife,
But the countryside is a working place and farmers can and do shoot foxes, while fox hunting with dogs is illegal (and rightly so in my opinion as it's causing wilful distress to an animal for fun) shooting them is very much part and parcel of land management (and not just foxes, deer, rabbits etc that cause harm to crops/livestock)

We are literally swamped with foxes on the hill.
If you walk home at night you will always see 5 or 6.
The bins the council gave us for food weren’t fox proof so their population boomed.

I don’t mind them in the garden but draw the line at cohabiting.

@VeeMonroe, I want Boji, he appears very well trained so my guess is he lost his human. I always thought domesticated meant the animal took on roles for humans. Dogs were primary working for us before we moved them to being mates. In many cities and townships, dogs provided garbage reduction and pest control services. As we cleaned up the large towns, some associated dogs with the waste and tried to throw them out but other places still give them a place. Horses, cows, sheep, goats, chickens, Larmas all provide us a service, we train them and that increases them being familia and us know how to handle them so they don't attack us to run away scared.

But that there fox isn't domesticated, he is overly comfortable with being in human environments but as @ChrisH said better than I did, the situation isn't safe and it could lead to an issue.
Foxes are not classified as vermin so I do not believe the council have any responsibility to deal with them but they may offer some help.

When I have been in Turkey I have had a pack of dogs following me more than once, no way did they look friendly. Bloody terrifying actually.
Not easy staying relaxed doing double pace walking😂

@VeeMonroe, I want Boji, he appears very well trained so my guess is he lost his human. I always thought domesticated meant the animal took on roles for humans. Dogs were primary working for us before we moved them to being mates. In many cities and townships, dogs provided garbage reduction and pest control services. As we cleaned up the large towns, some associated dogs with the waste and tried to throw them out but other places still give them a place. Horses, cows, sheep, goats, chickens, Larmas all provide us a service, we train them and that increases them being familia and us know how to handle them so they don't attack us to run away scared.

But that there fox isn't domesticated, he is overly comfortable with being in human environments but as @ChrisH said better than I did, the situation isn't safe and it could lead to an issue.
Foxes are not classified as vermin so I do not believe the council have any responsibility to deal with them but they may offer some help.
I totally agree that the fox needs dealing with - not just because they can be violent if cornered, but also because they can carry disease. I'd suggest a high-quality cat flap with microchip, as others have suggested. I'd suggest acting quickly because the foxes around us seem to operate in groups (so, you could have three by tomorrow).

All that said, the Istanbul dogs are genuine strays. Apparently, people in some countries find dogs dirty and don't want to keep them at home. Those stray dogs are generally more intelligent than most pedigree pet dogs and, of course, people also feed and check up on them. Having had a working cocker spaniel, I'm not remotely shocked by how well trained Boji appears. Everyone thought Toq (my last dog) was well trained either, but I was actually hopeless at dog training (and the hunting community people who met him knew he was too) - I just did a lot of hand signals/charades and convinced him that doing what I wanted was in his best interests.

I’ve just come back from my bro in laws garage and mentioned this, his mate was there that shoots for a hobby and said his mate saw a fox on his shooting land where pheasants live so got his gun out and shot it. Then saw another and shot it, he shot about 5 or 6 in total and then found out the RSPCA were letting foxes free there that came from a local town!

I bet when they heard the shots they drove off quick😂
Reminds me of this comedy gold:

When I lived in London had a fox problem under my shed, found urinating over the area worked, after a party a couple of friends also obliged, now this sounds like some strange fetish "lmao"

And perhaps not useful as it's a cat flap 🤣🤔🤭

When I lived in London had a fox problem under my shed, found urinating over the area worked, after a party a couple of friends also obliged, now this sounds like some strange fetish "lmao"

And perhaps not useful as it's a cat flap 🤣🤔🤭
Forgot to add NOT together 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I’m now officially addicted to watching the camera set up in the games room.

Bought some fox repellent from Amazon and surprisingly that seems to have gone the trick as he hasn’t been back in since.

Updated the cat flap yesterday but I’ve always found the microchip ones a bit hit or miss. Out cat can only triggered it 7/10 times so I’m betting he’s going to get stuck outside.

Thanks again for all the advice.

I’m now officially addicted to watching the camera set up in the games room.

Bought some fox repellent from Amazon and surprisingly that seems to have gone the trick as he hasn’t been back in since.

Updated the cat flap yesterday but I’ve always found the microchip ones a bit hit or miss. Out cat can only triggered it 7/10 times so I’m betting he’s going to get stuck outside.

Thanks again for all the advice.
We had same issue, one of our cats chip has moved under his skin so doesn't trigger the door. We bought a collar tag that worked with the cat flap - maybe you can get one for yours?

Male urine (even human). The foxes hate the smell.

No I am not extracting the Michael.

Some products are made of this.... is your dog a bitch? as it has to be male urine.

At 54 years old and on prostate medication I can sort you out with a few litres in a couple of hours.

Back
Top Bottom