What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

History of an original AFM

Bulla

Site Supporter
Recently bought an original AFM from a forum member and trying to find out a bit more of the history of the machine. I know it was from France and previously owned by an Ian from Worthing. Is he on here does anyone know ?

Thanks

My AFM is from France and has the same coin door they are different from the uk ones.
A pain as they aren’t very good for Col’s door plaques.
Not very helpful I know, as you already know it’s from France 🤦‍♂️😂

A good resource is https://ipsnd.net

You might find your serial already listed from another location in the past, or you can see adjacent numbers and figure out which batch of games your pin is from, eg sometimes you can see a consequence chunk of 50 games went to a particular country like Germany and your UK-homed serial sits right in the middle of that. Safe to say it's originally from that overseas batch.

In this case it's a bit academic, but by the time AFM was built WMS games had their intended territory included in the serial number (the second and third digits), f'r instance the u.k was '10', such as 51023 ###### for a Star Trek Next Gen. The full description on the larger labels was 'Star Trek Next Gen ECA' (electronic coin acceptor) and 'England'. I think France was '07', while Holland was '13'; the Dutch games bought in and converted had that in their numbers, e.g. 21318 for a cfbl, 51317 for an Indy PBA

Last edited:
Great info. And I suppose 50023 was non export, which explains a lot from what I've seen. Love it

It really is quite addictive one you get into it.

You're also encouraged to submit all your PCB and DMD serials if they're different (you'd be amazed) as it gives an indication of games which have potentially been parted out and in any case it fills the gaps in the sequence to say "this game definatley existed at one time".

The upper and lower serials then confirm the numbers of games produced against what was reported.

The CP I've just had off Nick is a really early one, looks like the 20th game off the production line, which is really cool to know.

I also got a hit of a CPU board from one of my others being in a competely different game overseas. That exact board 3000 miles away was literally in my pin at factory.

Sometimes it really tells a story and other times just begs the question if these things could talk what tales of adventure they'd have.

Yes, I think that once this caper started then 00 was domestic. With the older paper serial number labels it doesn't apply, even if the model number is five digits, such as Addams, 20017. There's simply an upper-case 'I' in front of the individual number for export production, without specifying where. The label on the shipping carton did have the destination on, in red ink.

I looked at that listing, and found that Earthshakers with serials close to my old one are noted in Australia and New Zealand.

One thing I noticed on that platform was that in places the destination identifier was mentioned as being subject to debate. It seems clear-cut to me, having unpacked a few games, both u.k. allocation and not. The games using WPC-S even have a page at the front of the manual, explaining the presence of the security chip and picturing the i.d. display when starting up; "the model number is shown without the country specific code"

Last edited:
Mine must be some kind of mutant or just a repro sticker

MODEL MARS- FRANCE
5224110-EMB-REPRO #5
MFG DATE 03/14/96

I was told that there were 48 AFMs that came over to the UK (with England on the serial sticker) I've had a LOT of AFMs and I think I've only ever had 5 original UK, my first 2 came from @pinballslave (I only wanted one but they both had different issues and it was 2006 when parts were scarce) I think he bought one in Belgium or France, checked my pics and the other was UK

This was the last AFM playfield swap I did (13 years ago - yikes!), I believe this is the one currently in Special When Lit

2012-06-22 22.37.49.jpg

Back
Top Bottom