What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with failed Windows update please

kevlar

Site Supporter
Alias
Kevin Donovan
Seems almost everyone on this forum is in IT so hopefully one of you will be able to help me 🤞:). About 2 months ago my laptop starting failing to complete a windows update. OS is Windows 10. During the final stages of installing/configuring the update it fails at 97%, says it can't complete and reverts back. Using the error code I've tried just about everything I can find as a suggested fix to no avail. I realise not being upto date is potentially dangerous so would like to finally get to the bottom of it. Yes I could re-install windows from scratch and I will but only as a last resort so please, IT nerds, help me out.

fdgdfgfd.jpg

I'd backup all your valuable data and zap it and resin tall from scratch.

Failing that bring it to PBR and I'll sort it for you then.

Neil.

Not near a PC to check but there should be a link on that page to history that should tell you which update is failing, you could try manually downloading that update to install which I've done in the past myself.

Also are you on the latest version of Win10 22H2, I think you may be as its offering an optional update for it but worth checking.

Also worth trying a proper shutdown by holding down shift when you click on shutdown, standard shutdown uses a weird hibernate thats caused me issues in the past.

Not near a PC to check but there should be a link on that page to history that should tell you which update is failing, you could try manually downloading that update to install which I've done in the past myself.

Also are you on the latest version of Win10 22H2, I think you may be as its offering an optional update for it but worth checking.

Also worth trying a proper shutdown by holding down shift when you click on shutdown, standard shutdown uses a weird hibernate thats caused me issues in the past.
This is the right answer, the starting point defo shouldn't be reinstallation ;-)

The history button is here on the same page in that original screen shot. It will list all updates along with whether they successfully installed or not. O/P needs to find the one that fails, then drill down into the detail (there might be a button called 'Learn More' or similar until they find the code of the update in question (usually starts KB.....). If they are lucky, there will be more details that can be googled, but the starting point should be entering whatever that update code name is, along with the exact error message in the history screen, into Google and the follow the advice on there.

Or if it's an optional update that the OP doesn't even need, then just choosing to ignore it rather than install it.

Screenshot 2023-02-14 192658.png'

Just checked history, it only shows the successfully installed updates, not the failed ones.

hhrthr.jpg

Last edited:
Is it defo not lower down that screen - the history screen is meant to show failures too.

If not, if you restart the pc, does it remove that error message and just show which updates are outstanding on the main updates page (the one you screenshotted at first)?

Attach the windowsupdate.log here as a zip file.

C:\Windows\Logs\WindowsUpdate

Is it defo not lower down that screen - the history screen is meant to show failures too.

If not, if you restart the pc, does it remove that error message and just show which updates are outstanding on the main updates page (the one you screenshotted at first)
Scrolled through all the history, not a single failed entry.

Failing update is " 2023-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 22H2 for x64-based Systems (KB5022834) "

Thanks.

Googling, there isn't masses of info about that specific update - possibly because it's so recent I guess, but this is related (just follow all these steps one by one):
https://howtofixwindows.com/windows-10-update-install-error/

There's also some info about the error message - which seems to relate to dotnet as Pickholder's vid suggested. Did you try the steps in his video already? Here's similar advice for the same in written format:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...800f0922/87a78355-1a84-4e0f-a0be-28f99a075e50

The following link gives more generic solutions for Windows Update failures, if the above options didn't work - you'll need to just work through them all one by one:

https://howtofixwindows.com/windows-10-update-install-error/

Another approach is to attempt to manually install the update. It's an educated guess, but the version you need is likely the sixth one down in this list:
https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB5022834

Once you've downloaded it, then follow the instructions here to manually install it:
https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/install-cab-msu-updates-mu-catalog/

Incidentally, where you found the code-name of the update, was there an option to 'ignore' it?

Thanks for all the info, I've probably already followed a lot of it but will go through it all later. Regarding the update being new, updating has been failing for about 2 months so it's not specific to this update. I don't think it's ignorable.

If none of the above works ok I'll probably nuke it from orbit and start over.

Last edited:
Reactions: JT.
Oddly enough one of my old laptops has been failing on loads of updates and I nearly gave up but upgraded to the latest version ( Windows 10 Version 22H2 ) about an hour ago.

I accepted all the option updates and rebooted A LOT. Your screen shows 'Download and install' option updates so I would give that a go, reboot and cross your fingers. Technical help I know!

If none of the above works ok I'll probably nuke it from space and start over.
If it;s been more than 12 months since the last one, thats exactly what i would (and have) done.
With the speed increases you get from a new install, always worth it.

If it;s been more than 12 months since the last one, thats exactly what i would (and have) done.
With the speed increases you get from a new install, always worth it.
What a sad state of affairs, I'd thought the days of having to do op-sys reinstalls were well over (improvements to operating systems + the amount of advice available on the internet). I've had these kind of issues with windows update before several times, but can't even remember the last time I had to do a reinstall to fix anything - probably Windows XP!

Back
Top Bottom