What's new

Heating Pinsheds

jack burton

Registered
Just wanted to start a general thread about heating and other bits a pieces people have in their shed etc to keep all the pins nice and healthy

Going to get my one in a week or 2 and I was thinking of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B017M8R...liid=I18QRTJRJKQ6H0&colid=17T8EPSLLGATG&psc=0

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01GQ8O...liid=I1MVXFEQIB9SY0&colid=17T8EPSLLGATG&psc=0

Going to set them up on a timer. I'll see about getting them hooked up to a wifi thermometer that I can check on my phone. But i think having them turn on for a set ammount of time each day will keep everything nice and dry in there for the winter months

Great topic.

I have agonised over this. I hold my hands up. I am now old school. I do not trust these modern, fancy dan heating systems. They are full of Chinese made computers that go bad faster than a prawn sandwich.

I bought a new fancy, pretty as you like, extractor fan two years ago for the best part of a grand. It has a 7 year warranty. It is now dead, it needs a new brain. The brain comes from Italy. The importer has sent me two parts already, both wrong. It needs a third. We are now three weeks into this dance.

The extractor it replaced was over 30 Years old and was worthless, in all that time it had gone wrong ZERO times. Sure, a couple of bulbs, but that was it.

If you go for a modern heating system, you enter this world. Ticking time bomb.

This is not simply my prejudice and ignorance. A guy I drink with owns a plumbing/ heating/ Wood burner installation business with 10 employees. His advice is to leave all my old stuff in place. The new stuff offers nowhere near the longevity. His future business is guaranteed by the maintenance requirements of all the modern crap being installed today.

Main dealer car franchises no longer wish to stock used cars over three years old as they are outside of the manufacturer's warranty. This is due to the same reason, the inherent failures of cheaply manufactured subcomponents.

Go old school. 1970s technology. Storage heaters, bi-metallic strip thermostats, gravity.

I want modern, I want fancy. I want efficient. But bitter expetience across multiple properties has taught me to stay old school.

I do understand your thinking and my original thought was to put a wood burning stove in there.

But all I have access to in there is electricity, so my only option is some form of electric heater.

I'd say you're looking at it from the wrong angle. Making sure it's properly insulated is more important than how you choose to heat it. Having lived in Sweden I'm now completely converted to the mindset of constant 24hr heating at a low output. Our boiler works full time from October until April. Not sure how you'd manage that in a shed but I'd certainly invest in insulation. Changes in temperature will introduce condensation and moisture.

I've done a full refurb last year, ceilings insulated and new timber ceiling put in and all external walls have been replastered with 60mm insulated slabs. Its not freezing out there at all, just need to get something to maintain a nice even temperature

Don't over-analyse it.... as you've insulated, an oil-filled rad on thermostat will be fine. I've used them for years with no problem. If you're concerned about moisture in the air and have no natural ventilation (trickle vents on windows or wall air-vents etc.) then just chuck a small de-humidifier in too, set to kick in when reaches a certain point. Seriously £100 for the two and job is done.

Last edited:
Like Rob said. If it’s well insulated that’s the key. My garage is like a giant cool box. Even with the bitter cold temps this week it hasn’t dropped below 10 degrees in there. I stick a small oil filled rad on, about 2 hours before I want to go in and it’s 20 degrees and cosy in there.

I have a plumbers merchant, and your m8 drd is misleading you, modern boilers are light years ahead of old boilers on efficiency, and much more cost effective on gas/ oil consumption too. My own boiler for the house is a cheap ideal which has served me well for 7 years.
I put a Worcester Bosch hot, cool air in my pinshed which I got very cheap and it keeps it at 18 degrees all year round, I think insulation is key, and as jmp said some form of heating like oil rad etc, but definitely a dehumidifier as all that wood will love water.

If I build another I will be putting underfloor heating in with a little boiler, massively cost effective when operating, as it will be one big pinshed
;)

My games room is very well insulated with kingspan in the floor, roof, and walls, and a moisture resistant membrane wrapped around the whole structure under the cladding.
I have a 2kw oil filled radiator with a built in timer and thermostat. I have it on the low setting (so 1kw) and it is on for 2hrs/off for 2hrs through the day and night, and its always a very nice temperature in there

we use:

1x Elnur RF6E 750W
1x Elnur RF10E 1250W

The 750W is really not necessary, but was bought as a fallback should the other have any issues, so will be relocated into the house for another room.
The 1250W does the job very well, varies between 17-20degrees on a programmed schedule.

I think humidity is the key to most of the problem. Get this down to about 50% all year round & you should be fine.
A little oil heater kicking in when the temps get very low.
Make sure well insulated which sounds like you have.

Yeah, I think the investment in a good dehumidifier is the right call.

Thanks for all the tips lads

I'll get everything sorted in the next few weeks, its the wifes birthday in a week or 2 so need to organise her present first :p

I started off with a Dehumidifier. Check our Dessicant Dehumidifiers, since standard Fridge-type ones will NOT work at temperatures Sub 5C.... and trust me, even if fully insulated they will get lower that that if it is -5 outside...

The dessicant ones will also provide slight warming (thats how they work... ), and if left on they consume approx 350W. You will be surprised how much moisture they drag out from the air.

I would also seriously consider an Aircon too. Circa £450-£500 - keep the humidity controlled/steady at around 50%, and also keep a constant 16C... and cost (depending on specifics) around 1-2KWH per day just to tick over. DC inverters are the ones to look for, since they draw heat from the air (even when it's -5C out)!, so they are ultra-efficient.

I've been using Elnur heaters also, they are on a Wemo Insight plug so I could know how much it was costing me, around £25pm during the colder months of the year.

However this year I have left them on at 16 degrees (like always) but have set-up 2 mining rigs with a total of 8 graphic cards, they keep the shed at a toasty 20 degrees so the Elnur heaters no longer come on.

Added to that they earn (yes EARN) me approx $20 per day after the electrical cost of keeping them on, and this is quite a bit lower of late as the Crypto world has had quite a big correction (lower prices), before Christmas I was earning around $35 per day.

The return on investment for the hardware is around 100 days, after that its going into the 'new pin pot'. ;-)

What to do in summer? Stick then in the garage.

20180106_193111.jpg 20180106_192001.jpg

I've seen a few mining things before. Didnt think you could make any decent money off it, its a been a few years since I even seeing anything about it so im completly out of the loop

I've seen a few mining things before. Didnt think you could make any decent money off it, its a been a few years since I even seeing anything about it so im completly out of the loop

I also have a rig in the house so the three rigs are earning around $45 per day after electric, mining is actually quite worth it as long as you a) keep an eye on what to mine and b) shift as and when to the right coin.

Back
Top Bottom