What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hardtop lifting

Mooseman

Site Supporter
Anyone had any issues with a hardtop lifting off the playfield?
And if so what they did to rectify?

Yes I had that problem on an 8BD because I didn’t switch to LEDs and it got too hot.

Best thing to do is switch the machine on and let the playfield get warm and the glue soften.

Then turn the machine off and rub the area that has lifted to bed it down again, and leave something heavy on it overnight.

That should restick it, but be sure to replace any incandescent s under the playfield with LEDs

Thanks. Can’t remember if it’s led or incandescent lamp.
My games room is a fairly cool (temp) place so now it’s in a warm house maybe this has become an issue.
@Triple H
@strobey

Fwiw I’ve never had any trouble with any of my other hardtops with LEDs. And I know that the hardtop guy has improved the adhesive used in his products over time. Is yours one of the early ones or is it quite recent?

I’ve also found him to be very helpful if you message him. I had one hardtop that wasn’t quite right and he sent me another one for free immediately.

It might be worth contacting him and explaining the situation and seeing what he suggests.

Contacted outside edge and had a very quick response. I explained that my games room is very cool. Typically 5° this week and that the game was now sitting in someone’s living room that’s probably 20°+

Hi Gary,
Yes… temperature change is the most likely cause. Depending on what your game room was as far as being “cool” and where it is now… possibly 70 degree or higher is likely the culprit. It is a limitation we are working on broadening for margin of error… as the wood and plastic expand differently.

One method may be to loosen all Hardware (not necessarily remove.. just loosen).. around the area and let the hardtop relax at it’s new (slightly larger state)… then retighten. It has worked on a few occasions. It may be “bound” up being held by the hardware from relaxing.

Let me know!

Bruce

So - a company produces a "hardtop" where if the ambient temp gets to more than 21C then it starts to "warp"??? And this is inside a machine (under glass) where lots of electronics exist to heat it up in there...
And they are "working on" broadening a margin of error???

Anyone else see an issue with this, or is it just me thats going loopy...??

So - a company produces a "hardtop" where if the ambient temp gets to more than 21C then it starts to "warp"??? And this is inside a machine (under glass) where lots of electronics exist to heat it up in there...
And they are "working on" broadening a margin of error???

Anyone else see an issue with this, or is it just me thats going loopy...??

I read that more as meaning a sudden large change in temperature, Mooses game room was deffo more than 21 degrees back in summer for the league meet but the temperature increase/drop would have been over a long period.

Bruce at outside edge got back in touch today to see how the problem is coming along.
I said I’m no longer the owner but have passed the information to the new owner.
On here and privately
He then replied
ahhh, ok.. well certainly invite the new owner to engage with us. We will try to solve this problem.

Bruce

Back
Top Bottom