What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gyruss Arcade Customs Daughter PCB

myPinballs

Site Supporter
Alias
Jim
A new project i'm working on for the arcade fans here.

Konami Gyruss, possibly the best shoot em up ever. Boards are 'riddled' with custom ics that go bad and are black boxes. I bought a bootleg board last year that had a custom daughter board, which matched the original layout and replaced of alot of the customs on the pcb.

So, i decided to make a reproduction of this, not an easy undertaking, but i wanted to have a backup for my own board, fix a board with all the customs missing, plus be able to help keep other boards going long after the customs fail. There are some single replacements out there for a few customs, but this doesn't help if you have a board with 1 giant customs replacement on it, whereas a new giant customs replacement can help everyone!!

So i took the plunge and recreated it

IMG_1298.jpegmypinballs Customs Daughter PCB.pngGyuss Customs Daugther PCB Protos - 2.jpegGyuss Customs Daugther PCB Protos - 1 (1).jpeg

Now the fun part came for testing there board and whether it would work. Alas not, and i had varying screens of garbage and messed up pictures.

However, after alot of head scratching and logically going though the design, lots of swearing, lots of hours and tea i found the issues

Gyuss Customs Daugther PCB Testing - 1.jpeg
Gyuss Customs Daugther PCB Testing - 7.jpeg

Now a fully working board. And the image quality seems alot better than before, better contrast, better sharpness, better colour balance etc All together better

Gyuss Customs Daugther PCB Testing - 4.jpegGyuss Customs Daugther PCB Testing - 2.jpegGyuss Customs Daugther PCB Testing - 3.jpegGyuss Customs Daugther PCB Testing - 5.jpegGyuss Customs Daugther PCB Testing - 6.jpeg

Now to get some rev2 boards made and see if people want some for backups, spares, replacements etc

:)

Fantastic work Jim, it’s nice to see how you have evolved the proto board from not working to getting it working. also nicely socketed dip ics.

Fantastic work Jim, it’s nice to see how you have evolved the proto board from not working to getting it working. also nicely socketed dip ics.

Yes using the first prototype boards as 'flame fodder' is the best way, i tend to use a larger via size on earlier boards, so it makes cutting traces and jumping to other vias easier. The great benefit of being able to get quality boards from the east at great prices makes prototyping alot easier than 10-15 years ago to. I tend to get 5 boards to test with and iron out any issues, then create a larger run once the deign is finalised. This particular board design was quite a hard one to get right first time!!

Back
Top Bottom