What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great British Pinball Podcast

FYI that's a comment from Neil there Phil, not from me. Hence the quote. I don't think he means anything by it. Its Neil humour after all.
So release it after pinfest then.

When I have friends over we play stall ball on my Twilight Zone it works perfectly well as there is loads of places on the playfield to stall the ball. Stall ball this year will be just as good as any other year.

FYI that's a comment from Neil there Phil, not from me. Hence the quote. I don't think he means anything by it. Its Neil humour after all.

I's certainly not humour. But it certainly is Neil.

So you could have maybe talked about it being the biggest pinball event in the UK. The one weekend every pinhead has circled in their diary. An event championing and bringing together the wonderful community we have under one roof. The countless people making this happen and give up their free time. The ones who work for four days and barely get to play a game. And then there are the exclusive machines which will be at the event and you being one of the first in the UK to play them.

And then there's the social side. Forget the machines!

Nah, lets just nit pick....

for those travelling to UKPInfest and cover the things you should do at the show (like help convince Phil that doing Stall ball on Twilight Zone is crazy talk

The post above ⬆️ is a dig at Phil dressed up/disguised as helpful advice for people attending pinfest. . . . transparently so.

To be fair Scott, you didn't have to exonerate yourself, because everyone could see they were Neil's words . . . . most are aware of the history.

To pretend that there was any desire for Pinfest to be a success would be disingenuous anyway.

However . . . . . you've done a cracking job of stirring up a bit of controversy ahead of the next podcast episode mate. Should be a corker, I'm getting the popcorn in! 😂😂😂

Just to clarify, my post wasn't about what Scott could be talking about. I know he talked about the positives of UKPinfest in the last podcast.

C'mon guys, you know how this works by now. If Neil isn't doing it, it's wrong, and he'll tell everyone it's wrong. Whether it's a comp, a podcast, a league, a forum, an awards thing. Just anything really 🤷‍♂️
I think you will find, your wrong 🤣

So had a phone call with Phil to clear the air. I prefer to talk things through that potentially misread or misinterpret comments.

Whilst I realise Neil isn't everyone's biggest fan, without him I wouldn't have been introduced to this community and personally enjoy conversation with him.

For me there's different sub communities in this already small group of pinball fanatics.

I've been warned by others that I'll be tarred with the same brush by associating with Neil.

I'm not here to 'choose sides' and would rather just talk and enjoy pinball.

Would rather everyone finds common ground and just enjoys the hobby.

There's plenty of reveals going on the show so I encourage you to listen if you are willing.

Scott

For me there's different sub communities in this already small group of pinball fanatics.

I've been warned by others that I'll be tarred with the same brush by associating with Neil.

I think the UK scene collectively is great but there is clearly divisions between geographical locations which leads to a lot of toxicity

This is also fuelled by a lot of people who think they know best cause they have been in the hobby longer.

In Neil’s case he’s a driven man and extremely successful in his field, he’s turned his high energy and passion on pinball and because of his resources and no bs attitude he actually gets stuff done and pushes us forward

However when you have wealth and drive people will always be jealous and focus toxicity towards that individual

Neil is just great at dealing with and trolls harder back

It’s not just pinball it happens in every hobby, work place or environment.

I find it pretty funny and sad people still wasting their time and effort on someone who isn’t even on this forum anymore.

However when you have wealth and drive people will always be jealous and focus toxicity towards that individual

But it's Neil writing a podcast summary where the only mention of Pinfest is veiled negative dig? Why did he need to do that? People support his events why can't he support UK Pinfest?

But it's Neil writing a podcast summary where the only mention of Pinfest is veiled negative dig? Why did he need to do that? People support his events why can't he support UK Pinfest?

If you read it properly he says what to do at pinfest… I read that as they are going to be talking about the event which is promotion

His comment in brackets was tongue in cheek. How a handful of people interprets that is on them not him.

Last edited:
I think the UK scene collectively is great but there is clearly divisions between geographical locations which leads to a lot of toxicity

This is also fuelled by a lot of people who think they know best cause they have been in the hobby longer.

In Neil’s case he’s a driven man and extremely successful in his field, he’s turned his high energy and passion on pinball and because of his resources and no bs attitude he actually gets stuff done and pushes us forward

It’s not just pinball it happens in every hobby, work place or environment.

I find it pretty funny and sad people still wasting their time and effort on someone who isn’t even on this forum anymore.
1692182064206.gif

Sadly, it's not that simple. I'm relatively new here (bought first machine in 2021). I volunteered this year to host for London & SE League. This was a huge deal for me as I'm new to the community, I hadn't put my pins on public display before and, also, I have very young children. I couldn't have my children in my house during the league event because my older son is autistic with significant sensory issues around noise/crowding, which meant I had to organise off-site childcare, and I had to do this weeks in advance.

Neil apparently has some issue with the way London & SE League is run, which I'm not party too. I've also got into trolling matches with him here on the forum (he sometimes comes across as a bully online and I don't like bullies).

Anyway, the London & SE League dates had been published for months when Neil, deliberately from what I gather, organised an event at Pinball Republic to clash with my league date. To avoid people being torn about what to attend, I decided to reorganise my event. First, I organised a date that clashed with Swavesey, so I chose to reorganise again to last weekend. This meant I had to rebook childcare twice (luckily free family childcare, but it inconvenienced my parents-in-law nonetheless). I had an argument with Neil on Facebook about this - he has subsequently deleted the entire thread, but the take-home message was he felt he could organise a better league than London & SE League, and plans to, and - thus - f**k my event.

When I rearranged my event to 12th August, I was messaged by a forum user to tell me that Neil had posted on his Facebook profile an event clashing with my new date. This was explicitly an attack on me as it made reference to autism, Greenwich (where I live), veganism (lord knows why, I'm not vegan) and a lack of beer (no one wanted soft drinks at my league event, anyway. I just had multiple requests for cups of tea)! Both my husband and I were baffled as, at that point, we'd never even spoken to Neil in person. I'd not done anything, apart from the Facebook comment and a bit of trolling on here, and it just felt weird and creepy. It was weeks after I'd commented on Facebook, I'd never given him a second thought, but it felt like I was living rent-free in his head. Anyway, within twenty-four hours or so, he'd deleted this event from Facebook - presumably, he'd never intended it to be a real event or someone had complained it was nasty 🤷‍♂️

He has done a lot of great things for the community and is spending huge passion, time and effort, as well as his own money. The first time I spoke to him in person, I took the time to thank him for bringing over the low-reflective glass from the States, of which we now have several sheets. My husband started a conversation with him to try to clear the air. Neil did know who I was, without asking, so I guess he'd asked someone to point me out at some point (I mean, why? I'm nobody) 🤷‍♂️

Thus, it's not jealously and toxicity - it's downright confusion on my part. And I say this as someone who was recently inconvenienced by him. Luckily, my parents-in-law were extremely understanding of why we were being messed about, but it obviously inconvenienced them too, and also my mum - who I also roped into providing childcare while we twice tried to get our machines in shape for different league dates. I simply don't understand why he needs to behave in what's a profoundly odd and hostile way to someone he's never spoken to due to a conflict about a league that's not doing him any harm, and which I wasn't involved with at the point where he apparently had an argument with the organisers 🤷‍♂️

Colour me confused. But this isn't because he's successful. It's because he's... well, odd.

Sorry for the long post. I know someone is going to rock up to complain. I write long, I touch type and I'm not going to apologise for that. Just figured someone needs to hear from the newbie...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom