What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gottlieb SS adding a chime unit.

backflipper

Site Supporter
Hi all
I have a Gottlieb Count-down SS that has the electronic tone board in it but I also have a chime unit.
Has anyone attempted this mod and if so are you able to assist?
Thanks!

I haven't done it yet but I will be adding a chime unit to my Pinball Pool as part of doing it up. I'll post about it in my shop log thread when I get to that part :thumbs:

Would it be similar to what I'd need to do if I were to put a chime unit in my Zac Nautilus?

I haven't done it yet but I will be adding a chime unit to my Pinball Pool as part of doing it up. I'll post about it in my shop log thread when I get to that part :thumbs:
Nice. So have you found any reference materials?
I used to have electronic versions off all Gottlieb manuals but lost it some time back. I suspect the wiring is well documented in the early system 1 games.
Attached is the scan of the tones page from my manual.

Attachments

• IMG_7413.jpeg
    IMG_7413.jpeg
    54.7 KB · Views: 2
Looks like it can be wired direct. The schematics show that the scoring is driven in the same way as the solenoids.

Pic attached

Attachments

• IMG_7414.png
    IMG_7414.png
    174.2 KB · Views: 4
Have a look at this:

The reason it's possible/easy for these early System 1 games is due to the way the sound board is driven. It's basically the same as if it were driving the 3 coils of a chime unit.

@Judderman if it is possible on a Zacc it won't be as easy as these System 1's for the reason above. Nautilus was designed from factory to run the Zacc sound board and I don't know if that's a 3 tone generator? To convert to chimes you need the input to the sound board to be 3 separate signals (3 tones) that you can then use to power the 3 chime unit coils. These inputs need to have enough juice and the coils be of a right resistance for it all to work though. I'm going to use the chime unit of one of my Spin Out EM's and I need to check that the coil resistance is within the right range (I think it is).

Have a look at this:

The reason it's possible/easy for these early System 1 games is due to the way the sound board is driven. It's basically the same as if it were driving the 3 coils of a chime unit.

@Judderman if it is possible on a Zacc it won't be as easy as these System 1's for the reason above. Nautilus was designed from factory to run the Zacc sound board and I don't know if that's a 3 tone generator? To convert to chimes you need the input to the sound board to be 3 separate signals (3 tones) that you can then use to power the 3 chime unit coils. These inputs need to have enough juice and the coils be of a right resistance for it all to work though. I'm going to use the chime unit of one of my Spin Out EM's and I need to check that the coil resistance is within the right range (I think it is).
Thanks for the heads-up. Looks like it's something I'll not be attempting for a while (if at all).

Have a look at this:

Thanks for this. Looks like it is going to be pretty straight forward!

Back
Top Bottom