What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Found it! Gottlieb Pinball Pool (System 1)

That was my first pin, bought it at an auction in the mid 80s
unfortuanetly had a broken drop target (no online help or shops back then) but still played ok ish, my dad eventually dumped it a year or so after I moved out to my own place

I know that doesn’t really help but just brought back loads of memories…

Did the YouTube video from Joe' classic video games inspire you? Looks like an ace machine and as above came to say one on eBay.

Thanks all for the comments and PM's :thumbs: Looks like there's some potential options in France and of course that one on eBay that I'm taking as a sign of fate. If anyone else is bidding on that then we might get into a bidding war :rofl:

Good luck and hope you get it, hopefully nobody on here bids on it seeing as you only just put a wanted ad up, unreal that one came up on there!
Was meant to be🤞

VERY flucky to be one on eBay. everyone hates gottlieb so sure it will finish cheap enough

there was once TWO zacarria spooky on eBay at the same time. NOW that was ... spooky?!!

Anyone know if there's any of these in the country? All leads appreciated :thumbs:

Sir Squires @Pinballsurgery I've seen pics from you on IPDB of one?
Yes I restored one some years back, lovely thing that was sold in the endless pusuit of more space. Regret it now of course, at the time it was a constant worry as some of the electronics had become unobtanium, now we live in happier times though. Mine came from Southend and cost me £150 (I know!), about £100 in spares, petrol to collect and a shed load of time - it sold on eBay in July '03 for £286.71 - about break even which was the norm back then and a bargain considering all the fun we had with it :)

Yes I restored one some years back, lovely thing that was sold in the endless pusuit of more space. Regret it now of course, at the time it was a constant worry as some of the electronics had become unobtanium, now we live in happier times though. Mine came from Southend and cost me £150 (I know!), about £100 in spares, petrol to collect and a shed load of time - it sold on eBay in July '03 for £286.71 - about break even which was the norm back then and a bargain considering all the fun we had with it :)
The one on eBay is mis rubbered by the way, dont know what's happning with that captive ball.......as to the earlier question I don't recall an EM version of the table and that's sort of confirmed from Clay's guides:

"Interestingly, Gottlieb did make some System1 titles in EM format too, but in much smaller numbers. The EM versus SS (solid state) games had generally the same rules, but the solid state versions could go to 5x bonus and 999,990 point scoring (where the EM versions were limited to 199,990 points.) The system1 titles that were also made in EM format included Joker Poker (EM version only going to 2x bonus), Cleopatra (both EM and SS made with identical rules using 2x bonus max), Close Encounters of the Third Kind (EM version only going to 3x bonus), Charlie's Angles (EM version only going to 3x bonus), Sinbad (EM version only going to 2x bonus), Solar Ride (EM version only going to 1x bonus), Count Down (EM version only going to 3x bonus), and Dragon (EM version only going to 2x bonus.)"

However I have seen one with chimes in instead of the simple Gotty System 1 Sound Board and that may be where the EM thing came from, once again from Clay here's how to do that mod:

"Substituting Chimes for the Sound Card.
Many operators take out the MPU controlled sound board and replace it with an older chime unit. Most players find this far more pleasing and consistent to the ear. All system1 games are downward compatible to chime coils. Be sure to use chime coils 12 ohms or greater. If coils with less resistance than 12 ohms are used, the driver board transistors Q26,Q27,Q28 will fail. If adapting a chime box from a Bally game, that should work fine as 50 volt chime coils will have higher resistance. Also don't forget to add 1N4004 diodes to the chime coil lugs, with the coil's power lug connecting to the banded side of the diode.
  • Mount the chime box right next to the knocker coil in the lower cabinet side panel near the game's power switch.
  • Route the 25 volt power from the adjacent knocker coil lug (banded diode lug), which is right next to the existing sound board (and the newly mounted chime box).
  • "Daisy chain" the 25 volt DC coil power to all three chime coils' banded diode coil lugs.
  • Now move the following wires from the sound board connector to the chime box coils' non-banded diode coil lugs:
    • orange/black/black wire goes to the 10 point chime coil lug.
    • red/brown/yellow wire goes to the 100 point chime coil lug.
    • red/green/green wire goes to the 1000 point chime coil lug.
  • Remove the sound board from the game."
Good luck with the auction, PM me if you win it and I'll send you the System 1 stuff I have if you would like it.

Thanks Mark :thumbs: I will definitely give you a shout if I win it. I've got a spare Gottlieb chime box here from the Spin Out EM's I'm currently working on so the plan is to fit that if I get the game :)

Last edited:
I think steve brum meant that the layout had been used much earlier, and was tried again for Pinball Pool, much as the System 1 game Countdown was resurrected in the '90's as the basis for Excalibur. A similar example being Eight Ball Deluxe and Kelly Packard (as it was when I tried it). Or Solar Fire/Grand Lizard.

Last edited:
I think steve brum meant that the layout had been used much earlier, and was tried again for Pinball Pool, much as the System 1 game Countdown was resurrected in the '90's as the basis for Excalibur. A similar example being Eight Ball Deluxe and Kelly Packard (as it was when I tried it)
Okay, in that case I think that SteveBrum may have been thinking of Big Shot, from memory I think that’s the same layout.

Back
Top Bottom