What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gottlieb noobie education please

lmtc

Registered
Simple and silly question open to interpritation and education :- Why are Gottlieb not really liked in the uk ? i have seen a few i would of liked but been scared of due to lack of resaleability and love within the forum, please please please understand im less than a year into this new pinball obsession of mine and looking for education not condamnation.Many many thanks for all opinions posertive and negertive, and sorry if this has been raised in the past

Simple and silly question open to interpritation and education :- Why are Gottlieb not really liked in the uk ? i have seen a few i would of liked but been scared of due to lack of resaleability and love within the forum, please please please understand im less than a year into this new pinball obsession of mine and looking for education not condamnation.Many many thanks for all opinions posertive and negertive, and sorry if this has been raised in the past

Not all Gottlieb are not liked. HH and BH are very collectible along with wedge heads. Bugger the style police buy what you want! If you pay 8-900 quid for a pin that’s what you will get back in selling, just enjoy. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plenty of love for Gottliebs on the forum. I think it's reliability that's the problem, once you've done all the mods they are pretty much rock solid.

well I have 9 @JMP has similar.Like them as much as other makes.Like everything in life we all like different.Just like in music some like punk,some ska,some industrial,some country,some pop etc etc.Always try before you buy and buy what YOU want

System 80A/B's are generally better received, it's the later machines that get slagged more in my experience... crap sound/music is the main factor for me, it's goddam awful.

Technically, can't say I've had 'that' much worse problems than other machines (I have more here than shown in my sig), although a lot of mine come from a source that goes through them prior to sale. A couple have replacement CPU's, connectors can be troublesome and clean and re-connections usually sort but some have needed re-pinning. They are a bit odd though in their design I suppose... and not every one likes the 80B cab designs.

@imtc come for a visit up North, myself and @Poibug have a decent range of Gott's to help you decide for yourself. :thumbs:

I’ve owned Gold Wings. Fantastic game. I think the artwork is generally poorer on Gotts but then they pull stargate and cactus jacks out of the bag which look awesome.

I also owned Frank Thomas Big Hurt. Another fairly innovative good game.

Haunted House is one of my all time faves which is right near the top of my must own machines.

After fixing a few small problem on 1812 I would say on reliability front no worse than Bally Williams or de games just a different set up and most people me included have not worked on them before so I can’t just dive in and say yes it’s that like a Williams game but I did fix all the problem in a few hours without a manual so not that hard

My understanding is that System 3 Gottliebs are bulletproof in terms of reliability. But when they do go wrong they're a nightmare to fix...and I can tell you from experience that ringing around and emailing pinball engineers to come put and fix it is met with a universal "Sorry, I don't touch Gottliebs". I don't know if that's because the diagnostics are rubbish or if it's because all the wiring is the same colour, or because it's easy to fry things like U8 GAL by plugging stuff back in incorrectly or unplugging while powered.

I really enjoyed my old Cue Ball Wizard but it's laughably archaic when you compare it to stuff that was being made by Bally Williams in the early 90's. A couple of other issues are the flipper feel isn't for everyone and the cabinet sits high (an inch or two higher than average) and can look odd in a collection. I like them though. They're a great introduction 1st machine I think.

Great machines, very reliable and normally easier to repair than b/w machines. Had 2 Stargate's took them to the UK show and both sold when offered lots of money for them. Could have sold 5 of them that day! Main stay of my classic line up.

There are a few exceptions.......but unfortunately many solid state Gotts are fugly as hell [emoji23] With some of the worst translate/backglass art ever inflicted on the world.

And as mentioned the weird backbox design, and higher cabs just make them look odd in a lineup of non Gotts.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

You should be bundled into the back of a van, driven up North to my games room and locked in there for a week until you are re-educated. :D

s9.postimg.org_p8q6p8mr3_Gottlieb_lineup.jpg

The only bad aesthetic thing in there is the fizzy yellow beer sign!

Last edited:
To be clear ..... I am a fan of Gotts :D

But the reality is the aesthetics of them are a turn off for many

Oh I know, just jesting...

Chris; a Gottlieb 'G' on its way, plus Tron.... but the Budweiser one is staying. :p

Reactions: Arv
Back
Top Bottom