What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Ball - Intermittent Problems

Whist packing up GOLD BALL for NLP the BB nearly came a cropper when folding down as I didn't know it only had one hinge (and it's heavy).

Fortunately in my VECTOR spares from @Jay Walker included a couple of BB hinges and being Jay the bolts and retaining nuts as well.

WP_20151208_14_52_45_Pro.jpg

BB folded down again (carefully) and one half of a bracket is missing

WP_20151208_14_53_03_Pro.jpg

The brackets are left & right handed (for some reason) and come apart, so an easy job to just fit the part needed and use a couple of Jays bolts as the retaining bolts were intact.

WP_20151208_14_56_00_Pro.jpg

Nice! Better still, I know that @Nedreud is missing similar so should have enough bits left so I can fix his too. From what I can make out either bracket can be used either side if replaced completely.

What a nice community this is.

Ahh... interesting... whilst visiting @astyy last night to drop off my VECTOR I tried fitting one of the spare hinges to it because I accidentlally left one at home. However I noticed that the holes are in a different position causing a slightly different offset of the backbox relative to cabinet, maybe because the VECTOR backbox is deeper due to the double backglass.

upload_2015-12-9_11-47-58.png

Looking at this photo of the bracket on GOLD BALL I now also see that the base that is bolted to the cabinet (top part in the photo) has an extra welded bar for stability that is fixed with a pair of hex-head screws on either side. I can confirm that these are also on the brackets on my GOLD BALL but were not present on my VECTOR, which just had the two main bolts.

Just goes to show how even parts that you think would be the same aren't. No wonder Bally went out of business if they kept changing little things like this all the time...

No wonder Bally went out of business if they kept changing little things like this all the time...

I was also musing why the left and right hand are different and came to the conclusion this would prevent the backbox being slid off sideways whilst folded.

In summary, we must get out more :rolleyes:

Staying indoors just the moment ;) I just fitted the spare hinge you gave me last night on to GOLD BALL... and it's the wrong one :( I've got 2 "lefties" on the bottom of the backbox but have a left- and right-hand bracket on the cabinet.

However, you also gave me two "lefty" base brackets so I could swap those over with the left/right pair. Only difference is they're the type without the extra cross-brace. Not that that makes much difference. Would be nice to have the backbox held on with two hinges and I do like the idea of being able to slide the backbox off sideways.

Mmm... decisions, decisions!

Back
Top Bottom