What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuse blown !

Nutty

Site Supporter
I have The Getaway, I was fitting some LEDs etc and a screw fell down through the underside of the playfield not to be seen for a while.

After switch on the plunger didn`t work, not knowing about the screw I checked the vio/org, yel/brn & blk 0v cables going to the plunger coil and up to the High Current Driver Board Assembly.

I unplugged the thin signal cable for the plunger from the High Current Driver Board Assembly and connected it to the eject coil with its signal cable removed this uses the same violet/org cable for the 50v circuit ?? . On test the plunger test operated the eject coil so I was convinced the High Current Driver Board Assembly had failed.

The screw in the meantime fell out of the wiring :oops:

Replacing everything back where it was and on further inspection I found F102 blown, so I borrowed F101 to test, the plunger now works and I have no F101 installed so what is it doing ? All coils now work nothing is failing with F101 removed, what I cant understand is why when the fuse is blown it tested on another coil. F102 is supposed to be the Right flipper ?? and what is F101 for not the Left Flipper or nothing ? :hmm:

In the meantime I have ordered some spare 3A SB fuses :)

Last edited:
F102 F101 off the top of my head are for flippers on earlier games ie non fliptronics your game is fliptronics and the fuses for the flippers are on that board

It all makes sense now, there are two 50v Violet/Orange Power cables J109-7 protected by F102 for the plunger & J107-2 for other coils like the eject that`s why it worked when I swapped the grounding signal cables.

Still not sure what F101 does though as it being missing seems to have no effect on the game there is no cable in J109-5 which it feeds because of the fliptronics but on the Getaway Schematic pictures it also connected to R210 & Opto isolator U7-4N25 out to J110-7 blue/gray cable which goes to an unplugged 3pin female molex ??

I will replace F101 when it arrives but I am just curious to know the ins and outs of the Pinball Electronics.

Last edited:
Hi, Nutty,

Getaway and Addams were the first WMS pins with solid-state controlled flipper solenoids, and they were actually wired to allow the previous 'conventional' flipper switching to be used. Their original Power/Driver pcb's have the flipper relay, Lane Change 4N25 sensor chips, resistors and connectors, which also allow it to be used in earlier games, while the cabinet wiring has suitably heavy wiring appearing near the flipper buttons so that high-current switches could be fitted.

re. Lane Change; the earliest games with this used an additional switch, operated by the flipper linkage along with the End-of-Stroke switch. This was changed during the System 11 era (on Jokerz) to a solid-state set-up, which was continued on the Wpc games. A fraction of the flipper current is fed to the opto chip, via a resistor, and the transmitter/receiver in the chip produces an output which connects to the switch matrix.

I noticed the other unplugged molex at the otherside of the cabinet which leads back to the other opto isolator oviously not used. Williams used F102 for the plunger even though on the test menu it states F104. I have a Funhouse coming out of storage so I can compare how the two are wired.

Back
Top Bottom