What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forum posts / replies sent to individual emails (like the Yahoo Group emails)

JT.

Site Supporter
Hello Paul

I've just managed to successfully test an RSS feed to email service, which has (partially) simulated the Yahoo group email functionality.

This is what I did:

1. Opened http://blogtrottr.com/ in a browser.

[attachment=130:Capture.JPG]

2. Back to the main forum and hit the RSS feed button for the category I wanted to follow.

[attachment=131:Capture1.JPG]

3. Copied the URL that appeared on the next page.

[attachment=132:Capture2.JPG]

4. Pasted the RSS feed URL into the appropriate field on the blogtrotter form, entered my email address, left the default "Real time" frequency and pressed the "Feed Me" button.

[I think if I had entered "http://www.pinballinfo.com/forums" into the URL field it would have subscribed me to all the RSS feeds (all categories/sections) in one go, but I have not successfully tested this yet, so not certain.]

Blogtrotter then sent me an email to confirm that it was really me asking for the feed (I followed the instructions in the email). I think Blogtrotter then polls the RSS feed for changes every hour and sends one email per change, see example below:

[attachment=134:Capture4.JPG]

However, it has only been a partial success. For the post I made in the test forum, I only got one email, irrespective of how many replies to the post I made. Looking at the RSS feed XML, it looks like it only contains the content from a post's first comment. Was this a design decision (e.g. to keep the size of the RSS feed down), or a limitation of the forum's functionality, or can the RSS feed be changed to include details of all replies to a post?

I have news for you...

In the new release that seems to be due within the next week or two, the forum can send you a mail every time there's a new post (with notifications on of course), and the mail will contain the contents of the new post in it - not sure how it will be formatted yet tho, so watch this space
smile-1.png

Good job tho - i'll ask the developers your question and let you know the answer...

Paul

Excellent news :) Personally I can always get to the forum for updates so the lack of the email is no big deal for me, but I know of at least one other person who was not adopting the forum because of the lack of this feature, so I was looking for a workaround.

I think the rate of evolution of the forum you are managing to keep up is fantastic. Well done :)

Back
Top Bottom