What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flipper issues - spike 2

Jib

Site Supporter
Alias
Fran
I had a problem with my imdn that I thought I’d solved but with further play and testing seems I haven’t and I’m now at a loss as to what to do. I’m hoping someone can help.

Occasionally the bottom right flipper feels low powered on a quick flip/ slap save, or feels like it loses power very briefly. This isn’t as obvious in gameplay as it sounds but once I was aware of the issue I realised some shots I thought were mistimed were actually due to this issue.

At first in switch test the eos switches were flickering when pressing either button. I regapped and cleaned the eos switches and it improved but still didn’t feel great so I ended up doing a full flipper rebuild. This didn’t fix the issue so I replaced the flipper buttons and the right side flipper button leaf switch. I’ve checked the crimps on all the relevant pins (node 8 cn 8, 9, 10, 12). I’ve tried flicking and wiggling connectors and wires in different places in switch test and nothing activates. I’ve also tried replacing the node board.

Issue is still not fixed. In switch test now, although I don’t get the flickering eos activation, the bottom left flipper activates the bottom right eos which is definitely remaining closed. Also if I do several quick flips or slap saves in a row on the right side occasionally the top right flipper activates and the bottom right doesn’t. Switch test doesn’t report bottom right flipper button being pressed so it’s not that it thinks it’s being pressed and not activating it for some reason, it’s an issue with the flipper button registering, leaf switch is definitely making contact.

I’m going to check all the pins again today as it feels like a loose connection issue but really I’m at a complete loss as to what to try now. It’s not a massive issue in gameplay for me but ideally I’d like it fixed for myself but also because I’m thinking of selling soon and don’t feel I can with this issue. Please can anyone help?

You could try swapping the node boards 8 & 9 to test whether the issue is there? Don't forget to change the DIP switches.

Reactions: Jib
You could try swapping the node boards 8 & 9 to test whether the issue is there? Don't forget to change the DIP switches.
I tried swapping the node board already, it made no difference. Changed dip switches to all off as the manual states.

Try changing the molex connectors
This is the next step, as I was told by someone else too and didn't do it! Need to order some but just out of interest if the plastic still looked fine what difference do new ones make? Or am I being dumb and you mean replace all the crimped on terminals too?

It would be the crimping on the terminals, I was advised the same with my Ghostbusters node problem, although with mine I was 90% sure it was the node board and it was. Some folks have had issues with bad crimp connectors from the factory and over time

The crimps looked fine when I took the connectors out but I guess they might not have been.

Process of elimination and seems you've done most things, everything I can think off

I’ve gone over everything again, everything is working perfectly in switch test mode now (see videos). In gameplay I still feel like the right flipper is abit off, I’m not really sure if I’m just imagining it at this point though, not sure how to know.

Attachments

• IMG_3370.mov
    20.9 MB
  • IMG_3371.mov
    21.1 MB
Someone I know had this exact issue and it was the node board.

Are you positive you changed them over, secured all wiring and checked all dip switches?

I know it sounds padantic but honestly I'd double check.

Scott

Cheers Scott, I’m as sure as I can be that I swapped the node board correctly and checked all connectors, dip switches etc. I’m tired of trying to fix something I don’t want to keep and that I’m not even sure is an issue anymore or if I’m just overly sensitive to a mistimed flipped as switch test seems fine now. If I wanted to keep it I’d keep trying but I’m just going to list it with a link to this thread.

Did the flipper feel the same before you did a flipper rebuild?

Was the coil sleeve tight in the coil?

Maybe I would swap the coils over and see if the problem follows.

In software is there a setting for left and right flipper strength (I am not near a Stern to check)?

Did the flipper feel the same before you did a flipper rebuild?

Was the coil sleeve tight in the coil?

Maybe I would swap the coils over and see if the problem follows.

In software is there a setting for left and right flipper strength (I am not near a Stern to check)?
Rebuild improved the feel. Further adjusting the eos switches made it even better. Coil sleeve came out and new one in no problem. Coil itself doesn’t look damaged or misshaped at all. There is some excess solder on the lugs but not enough to cause an issue. I haven’t tried swapping the coils over as I thought coils themselves either worked or didn’t rather than causing an intermittent issue. Menu has flipper power, both lowers are the same.

The problem with trying to do anything else is that I don’t know if I’m chasing a non-existent issue now. I wasn’t even aware of the issue at the start until it was pointed out to me by a much better player, I’d played at least 100 games and not noticed.

Check that both solenoids are 23-900 (no diode).

When you take the pins out the molex connectors then look inside them for tarnished connectors. Indeed some have come from that factory that have pretty quickly failed due to tarnish/rust.......

I would next up swap the coils over for sure.

The other thing to do is disconnect the EOS switches for now. Then play. Just dont use the flipper to 'hold' balls on it, and do not hold the flipper up more than a couple of seconds. It is very common for onsite machines to have broken EOS switches and to be honest it wont cause your machine to blow up just to see.

Would also take off the bat and see if it has any hairline cracks underneath.

Have you changed rubbers Fran?

Thanks, I’ll have a look at all this when I have a bit more energy again.

I changed the flipper rubbers to titans.

I identified the same/similar problem on the GotG at PBR last weekend.
Maybe James @MajesticPinball has had a chance to look at it and identify the problem?

Back
Top Bottom