What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flipper Issue Advice

Wiredworm

Registered
Hi everyone,

Long time, no see. :)

I moved house a little over a year ago and since then Pinball has been pushed down the list of priorities. It's meant that poor old Rocky & Bullwinkle has been languishing in the garage with no love.

It's all back together and playable. I've just spent an hour or two tweaking the lead switches because a lot of them weren't firing; partly because a lot of the stand-up targets have got new foam behind them and it meant they needed a serious whack to register. It's all playing a lot more nicely now, with the exception of a couple of minor issues, which i'll list below in order of annoyance/importance.

1. There is a weird flipper issue where if I hold the flipper and it's struck by the ball as it exits a loop it drops. Seems to be affecting both the left and right flipper, although it's more noticable on the right as typically it's much easier to enter the left loop. I know this model of Pin doesn't use EOS switches so could anyone suggest what it might be? The flippers have had a full rebuild and other than this issue they are performing nicely; it's much easier to make the ramp shots now.

2. Not sure if this is really an issue or not but the ball seems to have a habit of getting a bit 'tardy' as it goes down the left out lane. This means that often the laser kick fires early and doesn't save the ball. The machine has a 'home made' playfield protector so i'm wondering if this is causing the ball hang-up issue which then contributes to the laser kick issue?

3. The Aesop Hole VUK still seems to intermittently have an issue where the ball just 'dribbles' out instead of being kicked. I noticed that the little 'hat' on the VUK has a bit of slop to it so i'm guessing that how succesfully the ball gets fired is dependent on which way the hat is sitting. Would refurbing it with a VUK kit (like this https://pinparts.co.uk/products/565-0029-01-vuk-kit) solve the issue?

Other than those issues things are working pretty good.

If anyone can offer any tips or suggestions on the above i'd be very grateful.

Cheers

Pete

I just checked the level on the pin and found it was well under 6 degrees from front to back. So that might explain the 'tardy' ball in the out lane.

I've put the rear legs almost up to the max and it still only shows as being at 6 degrees (using an app on my mobile).

What's the optimum angle meant to be? I've ready around 6.5 degrees - is that right?

I'm concerned that even with the rear legs at max it might not hit 6.5 degrees. The front ones are wound as low as they will go but there's a nut on the leveller which is meant to be tightened. Is one solution to remove this nut so i can lower the front even further?

Are measuring the angle with glass on? If so, take it off and measure on the pf. Make sure your phone is calibrated on the flat.

I have this too on a LW3 with the flippers, well right flipper, suspect the board below the playfield left side, could be bad fuse holder dry solder joint etc. not got round to looking at it yet!

Pretty sure I replaced the fuse holders on mine but might well be worth me stripping the board out tonight and going over it.

I've ordered a VUK kit because i'm pretty sure the slop on the VUK cap is the cause of the issue. It will work flawlessly for a while and then after i've had the playfield lifted and put back in place it'll stop kicking the ball out so well.

Any advice on checking the outputs from the flipper board?

The schematic shows 9VAC on pins 6 and 7 on connector CN2 on the flipper board. Should this always be present?

Also shows 50 VDC on 8 and 9. If these should always be present is it worth checking with a meter?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom