What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flipout Re-opening

Tucks

Registered
Guys,

How did the Flipout re-opening go?

Only just saw the email (too many email accounts!) and links for members to sign up and get flipping again!!

I need to book a spot and get down. Looking at the procedures with the social distancing etc which is fine, what is the score with the face coverings? I really struggle with the tight face huggers and it makes me feel like I can't breath so struggle to wear one for any length of time. Are there any other types that are acceptable?

Anyway, good news that we are finally getting back to some normality.

Hope you are all well.

Cheers

Tucks

Tucks:

Nobody likes wearing a face covering/mask.

Yes and that's a mistake that I made on the email we sent to members, face coverings is what we want. So I'm using a plastic shield, other folks using scarfs etc. Of the folks that came to the club on Thursday and Saturday for glass and to play they were all pretty positive about the policy.

If you read the guidelines and after talking to BACTA and others; we have two choices, either we wear face coverings, or we have to clean the games after every person that is finished playing.

But its looking increasingly that face coverings are going to be mandatory in many places soon anyway and the fact that we now know that the virus is airborne and is now actually vascular rather than respiratory I think will only escalate this.

One of our neighbours just died from Covid, massive blood clot (see above). a week ago, he was fine - hospital on Friday dead on Sunday. 44 years old and no major health issues. Only place he went to was supermarket. I don't believe that coverings and masks are that effective but even if they save only one person that will warrant everyone wearing them. When you have Trump and BoJo wearing them and you see the mess in the US its clear that just pretending that nothing has changed isn't going to get us back on our feet.

Note though the club isn't open yet. We are running trial sessions for members only.

Cheers,
Neil.

Cheers Neil.

I've no problem with wearing a mask but the plastic shield thingy sounds a lot better and I'm glad to hear things went well.

Sorry to hear about your neighbour. Wow, 44 years old. Puts life into prospective.

I'll try to buy a mask and sign up to one of the trial sessions.

Nice one.

Silly question. Does the curve screen impact you sight in any way when trying to play?

Might be a good idea to fit those clear flipper button protectors that can just be peeled off without damage and use alcohol hand wash. That way no possible damage can occur to the cab.
Seen a lot of people playing pinball touching their face and mouth while playing.

Sorry hear about your neighbour Neil that is tragic.

yes we have some games with those cling protectors on, I've got more to go on when I'm down on thursday.

I'm using santizer after every ball.

I have one of these (Primarilly for spraying nasty stuff).... Is always good for wearing in tescos to make people think the apocalypse is coming....

Interestingly tho... it's actually loads more comfortable to wear than the disposable ones!

Just checked out the reviews for both those face shields on Amazon. Both got pretty scathing reviews which is a shame as they Presumably must be more comfy than the normal masks.

Sorry to hear about your neighbour Neil.

Guess different batches might have used different grades of plastic. I’m tempted to take a punt.

Weirdly with the government looking like they are going to make masks mandatory in shops we were sent another directive today from them expressly forbidding wearing them at work.

Glad people are enjoying themselves back at flip out.

John where do you work? Fobidding masks?! are they serious? quick phone call to H&SE and send them that message and they'll soon be put right!

John where do you work? Fobidding masks?! are they serious? quick phone call to H&SE and send them that message and they'll soon be put right!
I actually spoke to the HSE on this matter and while they didn't go as far as forbidding them the advice was surprising to me and is as follows:

Face coverings are not PPE as they do not protect people from work-related hazardous substances. They may be marginally beneficial as a precautionary measure against coronavirus.
PPE for protection against coronavirus is generally only required for certain healthcare activities. In a non-clinical setting, there is no need to provide different PPE than you would normally have provided before the outbreak started.

Wearing a face covering is optional in most circumstances and is generally not required in workplaces. They are not an effective way to manage the risks from coronavirus and you should not rely on them.

The evidence suggests that wearing a face covering does not protect you, but it may protect others if you are infected and have not developed symptoms.

Last edited:
what question did you ask them?

We have had advice that N95 masks in certain circumstances with gloves should be worn.

The advice they give varies depending on:

1: Environment
2: Ability to maintain distance and number of others in your vicinity
3: Equipment being used and cleaning regime.

so I'm surprised they have given you the advice above.

you wonder why they are making everyone wear them on public transport.

Agree on fact they won't protect you.

I wasn't in favour of masks at the start of this and they aren't a long term solution - but that story of the guy who died after going into his office once just after having a kid and then having had one guy in my team die in Italy, two folks get it really bad here, one recovered, one still on a machine and now the neighbour in my view its a small price to pay to wear a mask.

Cheers,
Neil.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was specifically looking for guidance on working on indoor building sites and if we should be adding compulsary mask wearing to our job specific RAMS. Given they became compulsory on public transport recently I would have expected a different stance from the HSE, although a colleague of mine tells me the majority on the tube had them around their neck rather than covering their mouth and nose! There is some very confused messaging out there.

Last edited:
they've been compulsory on public transport for a while, at least in London.

Neil, ultimately I work for the government. The sheer volume of contradictory information they send out is staggering. I suspect whatever we have been told in the last week will be overturned in the near future

I’m guessing the ban on face masks is so we don’t scare kids. One problem schools face is that a one size fits all approach really doesn’t work and the public sector is notoriously bad at adapting quickly. A blanket ban on masks may well be sensible with little six year olds. Applying the same rules to a room full of 16 stone 18/19 year old men in yr13 is nonsensical but thats what you get told to do. I’ve been in rooms where I’m one of the smallest people in there.

I mainly teach young adults (16+). The rules allow 25-30 to be crammed into a small room with windows that can not be open provided they all face me and not each other. None are allowed masks. However, if I go to the photocopy room then I can’t get within 2m of another employee, even if they are younger than the girls I’m teaching.

You kind of get used to weird rules if you are in the public sector.

Regarding tubes. I’d say about 80% of people are wearing masks. There’s a fair few just using them as chin hammocks though.

well maybe they'll start getting their **** together when the second wave comes...

As we’re on the facemask topic, being in Scotland, they are now supposably mandatory here in shops and public transport. My wife was in the relatively low minority of getting the shielding letter in Scotland and we’ve spent months indoors as a result. But my wife is now venturing out, with a mask, despite the fact she’s hospitalised every year with breathing issues.....shes 38 btw before you think she’s probably old. Problem we’re seeing here is younger people with zero real health issues are refusing to wear them. If my wife can wear them for 5/10 mins in a shop then most of the people refusing can too. I had my first chip shop fish n chips in 4 months tonight and had someone outside (about 19ish) openly telling people she didn’t like masks and if anyone confronted her she was gonna lie and say she has breathing issues. Unless people are personally at risk or have personally lost someone, it appears many people aren’t thinking about wearing masks to protect others. The supermarket my wife normally works in is telling its staff not to confront anyone without a mask, which although i get it from the stance the manger doesn’t want staff getting abuse, the other side of the argument is people are being allowed to come in and put the staff at risk. Troubling times ahead for all businesses until the government fully enforces masks with punishments for those who flaunt it with no health issues. Hope that wasn’t too much of a rant btw but had to vent somewhere and hoping you guys dont mind. Ta.

Jason,
Indeed and this is the stupid problem we find ourselves in - selfishness of the highest order.

Unless you are wearing a bin bag as a mask they are easily breathable through - there are few genuine people who can’t wear masks, even asthmatics are wearing them!

My granddaughter (7 years old) asked for a mask - Mandy asked her why? And she replied - “I want a mask as it will mean that less people get sick” I had a tear in my eye. She wears hers without complaining and tells others who aren’t wearing it properly to do so.

Nobody likes this situation but if we don’t look out for fellow man - Darwin has a prediction for us.

Cheers,
Neil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cheers Neil. Sometimes a like/thumbs up for the reply isn’t enough and this is one of they times. Much appreciated.

Thank you,
Jason.

what are you apologising for? :D

if you have a view state it. people die - thats life.

Back
Top Bottom