What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

{fixed} Williams Menu Question - Presets pinled CPU

biglouieuk

Site Supporter
Alias
robllewellynuk
Quick question about Williams Menu and preset options for setting game difficulty.

When I do a factory reset, the game appears to be in Medium. I think.

If I install others, it seems to show them as installed but I have no idea which one the game is using.

In this video, I installed Ex Hard... The tried to go back to Medium. But it installed Medium AND Hard and kept Ex Hard.

So I'm wondering which one it choses when they all show as installed..

Is it a case of factory reset and start again?

Just curious.

Thats strange ,its a bit earlier game to mine but pretty sure mine dont do that and it appears to be the same menu type ,does it clear all but one if you reset?

If I reset, it clears everything and doesnt show Medium difficulty as being "Installed". Nothing is installed, but it looks to be Medium (PAL is lit at start)

Bug in this version I wonder. I'll let it have a think to itself overnight and give it a restart tomorrow.

Thanks for coming back to me on it. I have the older game ROM, maybe I'll give that a try too?

Really enjoying the game, now want to play test all the features are working correctly.. 👍

If I reset, it clears everything and doesnt show Medium difficulty as being "Installed". Nothing is installed, but it looks to be Medium (PAL is lit at start)
'Factory' isn't the same as 'Medium' in some Williams games, even if they're very comparable, or just flat-out the same in most games. I wouldn't worry about it too much - it's usually just a game-specific bug.

Thanks for replies gents.

It was odd, that presets has nothing "installed" after a reset.

I was expecting to see Medium as installed.

Then when I "install" Hard, I see that as "installed" and if I went to Extra Hard because I'm so hardcore 🙂🤦‍♂️, I would see that as "installed" in menu and Hard would not have "installed" against it.

STOP SAYING HARD!🙂

Ha.

I have rev L-2 of the game.

If I do Factory Reset - Utilities U8 and then to Presets, Extra Hard is installed. Not Medium as fac setting should be.

If I install Medium (which the manual says is factory setting) then it installs Medium AND Hard and keeps Extra Hard installed, and "seems" to play on Hard (as it lights P & A of P-A-L-A-C-E from the get go) Which manual shows as being the setting.

Ive got my best score so far on Extra Hard, so I'm sticking with it HA!

Popped L-1 into my pinled MPU board to test. The same behaviour as L-2 above. Weird.

In fact, L-1 set to Extra Hard after factory reset doesn't light any of PALACE on start up.

I will keep digging.

Last edited:
UPDATE

Because I use pinled MPU/CPU board, I thought I'd check country settings. As the difficulty varies for country etc.

Pinled doesn't seem to have a dip switch setting for the UK. So I used European (ha!)

I switched to US, and it immediately installed to the default of Medium.

So I guess the dip switches don't match up between game and board.

Anyway, in case anyone has the same thing, bit of an update.

I've sent a note to pinled in Germany to ask if there is a UK dip setting.

There is no UK setting on the original so why would it be on the Pinled board?
I dunno. I didn't give it any thought... But that's why I was having the menu issue. So I'll leave it here in case someone new comes along and runs into the same thing.

I've changed the thread name to include pinled so others might find it

Pinled responded. Within a couple of hours. Fantastic.

Confirming, no UK setting as above.

Also confirming that W8 needed to be on for battery to hold settings.

Back
Top Bottom