What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fish Tales - intermittent fault, appears to be on CPU board

VeeMonroe

Registered
My Fish Tales has developed an intermittent electrical fault which appears to be on the CPU board. We have already had one CPU board issue that looked similar, but that was fixed in April (Thread) and we had over a month of trouble-free operation after that fix.

The fault develops during play (often, but not always, during multiball), with the machine ”going mad” mid-ball - flippers flipping repeatedly in a way which is unresponsive to the buttons, plunger firing repeatedly (based on noise), not registering a drain. If I switch off and on again, the power-on test produces the error message “Ground Short Row 1 is stuck closed“ which is the same error I got when a chip had blown last time. I have checked the switches on row 1 and found no issues, and I have completely disconnected the switch matrix from the CPU board by pulling J207 and J209, and still get the error message - I assume that this means the problem is on the CPU board. I have removed, cleaned, and replaced the CPU board in case the problem was poor connections or some kind of fluff but this made no difference.

And then, after a few minutes of power-off, it sometimes starts working again for no obvious reason. You normally get 1-2 games in before it stops working again.

Can anyone advise on what might be going on here? It can’t be a blown chip because the fault is intermittent - is it plausible that something is overheating?

Invest in a new set of ribbon cables...

Invest in a new set of ribbon cables...

Ribbon cables ordered! We’ll try that, thanks!

The 2803 chip has been replaced in the past. Maybe in a socket. My guess would be a poorly soldered socket or chip. What does the repair look like on the cpu?

The 2803 chip has been replaced in the past. Maybe in a socket. My guess would be a poorly soldered socket or chip. What does the repair look like on the cpu?
Just to check, why do you think that? The whole board has been replaced with a Rottendog board, in the past. I think there’s only one original board in this pin.

Because you said a chip had been replaced last time. I guess you’re referring to a different board. You didn’t mention that it was a rottendog board.

But the symptoms are that of the switch matrix going awol. I’ve seen it happen with poor solder joints and/or corrosion. I admit it’s unlikely if it’s a rottendog board.

As it’s row one, there are a couple of cabinet switches in that row that you haven’t disconnected. That row is on j206. Perhaps your tilt or extra ball switch are causing a problem. Check both and that there is no way the lamp wire on the extra ball switch is connecting to the switch matrix.

Back
Top Bottom