What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Filling tiny holes in playfield surface

nugat

Registered
I've just noticed two tiny holes below the flippers on a new Ghostbusters Pro. At first I thought it was ball related damage, but on closer inspection they're round and go all the way down to bare wood. They can only really have been caused by something pointy and sharp, a 'tool' at the factory no doubt.

I'm not going to loose any sleep over it, but as is human nature, now I've noticed them I can't stop looking at them :) I already have a playfield protector in place so they shouldn't get any worse, but I'd like to fill them in at least.

I was thinking of getting some acrylic paint and layering it up until it's almost flush with the surface, then using some automotive clear coat I have lying around to finish it off. Does this sound sensible? As the holes are so small I'd have to use a toothpick or something to apply the paint.

DSC_0057.JPG
DSC_0056.JPG

They look like the factory made holes. Aren’t they used to line up flipper bats or something ?

They are meant to be there. They are on all my stern machines. Presumed they are for lining up flipper bat location

Yep they are so you can set the flippers relaxed position to match the geometry of the game.

I believe on most makes the hole should line up with the centre of the flipper but on Williams games they line up with the rear (apron side) of the paddle.

Feature, not a fault. For flipper alignment, though I do it by eye.

The only time they’ve bothered me is on a TZ, where they’d put in a long roll-pin that stuck up above the playfield and got in the way of the ball - especially on the top left (mini) flipper.

Yep they are so you can set the flippers relaxed position to match the geometry of the game.

I believe on most makes the hole should line up with the centre of the flipper but on Williams games they line up with the rear (apron side) of the paddle.

DOH! That's embarrassing, I had no idea they were supposed to be there :oops: Thanks for your replies all. I'll save myself a job by leaving them as they are.

I would have thought in this day and age they would have had a better method of lining up the flippers. The holes seem to be a bit haphazardly made with one being twice the size of the other. I was going to eyeball it using the artwork as a reference, but I guess that may not be straight either.

I cant be sure but looking at your pics the second one with the smaller hole (left flipper) seems to have a slight hint of flash reflection. All the playfields I have worked on had metal roll pins in the holes. It may be that for some reason the roll pin has been removed from the right flipper hole making it look bigger and that may explain why the hole has slight damage compared to the left.

The Stern playfields dont have anything in them. The left hole looks small like it should do, and the right hole looks like something has been poked down it, and opened it up?

Thanks again for the information all. Yeah, I'm pretty sure there are no metal pins in the holes as it looks like wood to me.

It's strange how I've ended up with one hole bigger than the other, but that's life....

I may try tidying up the big hole with some paint, depends on how strong the OCD is today ;)

ends on how strong the OCD is today ;)[/QUOTE]

If it's driving you crazy use a felt tip pen to colour it in and to finish it off with a drop of clear coat !

Back
Top Bottom