What's new
Pinball info

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Few faults developed on TAF

Techno

Registered
Alias
TAFFY
Help for PB newbie.
Recent new owner of TAF.
Great for first week, but now starting to show true colours.
Nothing horrendous but more annoying.
!. Left main flipper sticks in raised position. but returns when right flipper is triggered. strange. Looked at it a bit ... simple first - not return spring - some resistance, so guessing soleneod is still powered. Trying to work out mechanism for collapsing power to allow it to. EOS switch maybe or button contacts.. suggestions please.
2. Swamp kick out... When collecting balls for multiball... if two ( could be on the third ball) goes into swamp doesnt kick out). have to power off to release.
3. Scary moment when heard humming from magnet.. didnt cut out.. got very hot .. quickly powered off machine and disconected power supply to offending magnet.. one under the G and R clouds so no harm done to playboard.. have seen many with scortch marks hear in quest for purchase. No probs getting replacement but do i replace all three or just offending one, also is there some mods that will prrevent future risk ( thermal trip or design mod maybe).
Overall machine is in great nic, but now realising owning a pinball is more than just plug and play.
Oh and while on return springs defo need replacement return spring for top right flipper - been replaced with something resembling car suspension spring so correct spring required.
Thanks in advance
Ste

Hmmm, where are you based, sounds like you could use a trained eye to run over it.

1. Sounds like it needs a flipper rebuild. If it drops when you hit the other flipper then it’s likely sticking and the vibration is knocking it loose. When it sticks up again, immediately power off the game and see what happens. If the flipper drops then it’s probably electrical and I’d be looking at the fliptronics board first. If it stays stuck up (which I suspect it will) then it’s mechanical and the mech will need stripping down and cleaning and probably some new parts.

2. Probably a dodgy switch in the swamp. Put the game in switch test and drop some balls into the swamp and see what switches register.

3. For the magnet locking on I’d be looking at the transistor on the driver board. You can mod the magnets to put some in line fuses on the game so that the fuse blows if the magnet locks on.

Did all of the stuff suddenly start happening at the same time or has it been over a while? When did you last change the batteries?

Pinball is in Porthmadoc North Wales.
Am struggling to find anyone reasonable close to caste a wise eye over it

1. Sounds like it needs a flipper rebuild. If it drops when you hit the other flipper then it’s likely sticking and the vibration is knocking it loose. When it sticks up again, immediately power off the game and see what happens. If the flipper drops then it’s probably electrical and I’d be looking at the fliptronics board first. If it stays stuck up (which I suspect it will) then it’s mechanical and the mech will need stripping down and cleaning and probably some new parts.

2. Probably a dodgy switch in the swamp. Put the game in switch test and drop some balls into the swamp and see what switches register.

3. For the magnet locking on I’d be looking at the transistor on the driver board. You can mod the magnets to put some in line fuses on the game so that the fuse blows if the magnet locks on.

Did all of the stuff suddenly start happening at the same time or has it been over a while? When did you last change the batteries?
Exactly the problem I had on a flipper. Stuck and vibration from other causing it to snap back, flipper rebuild and its sorted

As a guess as you've spent, at a guess 4k or so.

Treat yourself to another £200 or so.
Buy a a rebuild kit for the flippers
And some imperial spanners and Allen keys.
Also may as well buy a rubber kit and some Novus for a quick clean up.
@myPinballs sells inline fuse kits for Addams magnets.
Measurre resistance of magnets, they should all be similar.Buy a new one if not
You will probably need to check the driver transistors for the relevant magnet too

Last edited:
As a guess as you've spent, at a guess 4k or so.

Treat yourself to another £200 or so.
Buy a a rebuild kit for the flippers
And some imperial spanners and Allen keys.
Also may as well buy a rubber kit and some Novus for a quick clean up.
@myPinballs sells inline fuse kits for Addams magnets.
Measurre resistance of magnets, they should all be similar.Buy a new one if not
You will probably need to check the driver transistors for the relevant magnet too
Cheers
Will do above for flipper.
Also in line fuses .
What about swamp not liking third ball.

As previously mentioned, put in switch test and manually put the balls in. Also check that there isn't something in the trough, like one of Uncle Festers chair lamps 🤔

It always surprises me how quickly ‘do a flipper rebuild’ comes up as a suggestion when problem solving.
The reason it usually fixes the problem is because you’re replacing everything. I’ve had a stuck flipper due to a bad connection before, reseating the connector fixed that. I’ve had a stuck flipper due to a damaged coil sleeve, 90p fixed that. I’ve had a stuck flipper as there was zero up/down play on the shaft, gave it 2mm to move and that fixed that one. Not yet have I had to do a flipper rebuild, no problem doing one but only when it’s 100% necessary.
Just my opinion and there’s way more experienced forum members out there but I always try the simple fixes first, often that’s all it takes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly the problem I had on a flipper. Stuck and vibration from other causing it to snap back, flipper rebuild and its sorted

You can confirm this by banging the machine to cause the vibration rather than hitting the other flipper, I had this issue and it was driving me mad, coil was getting hot as flipper was staying up - reseated the connector and it’s never done it since, can’t remember the exact connector but it was on the power driver board (bottom right) and this was on AFM

What about swamp not liking third ball.

I had this problem the other week. As others have said, put machine into switch test and put all 3 balls in swamp - switches 71, 72 and 73 should all close. If your problem only happens when the 3rd ball goes into the swamp (as mine was), it could well be switch 71 that is not working. These switches are accessible on the underside of the swamp.

I had the swamp issue recently, middle switch, a loose wire and I saw and soldered it back soon enough.
bbb402cf472f63067ea80598c459f4af.jpg
I made my own magnet protectors but best to check out the source of the lock on first.
Rebuilding flippers is cheap and simple, I know I can probably replace one bit but feel no pain in doing the full flipper as I know it will refresh the whole thing. Any good parts that come off, go into that special box for emergencies.

It always surprises me how quickly ‘do a flipper rebuild’ comes up as a suggestion when problem solving.
The reason it usually fixes the problem is because you’re replacing everything. I’ve had a stuck flipper due to a bad connection before, reseating the connector fixed that. I’ve had a stuck flipper due to a damaged coil sleeve, 90p fixed that. I’ve had a stuck flipper as there was zero up/down play on the shaft, gave it 2mm to move and that fixed that one. Not yet have I had to do a flipper rebuild, no problem doing one but only when it’s 100% necessary.
Just my opinion and there’s way more experienced forum members out there but I always try the simple fixes first, often that’s all it takes.

I used to rebuild flippers as a standard task on a new keeper machine.
But then when I realised that "keeper" pin was being sold, realised I should only do it when needed.
It is at least worth doing a quick flipper set up check.
Ie check for correct up down play, check plunger and end stops, as probably worn.
If I do a full rebuild that includes the flipper bushing,which frequently ain't part of some standard rebuild kits

Back
Top Bottom